Sport Bikes banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Speedbump
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed a wet spot underneath the breather/overflow hoses after their bike sits in the hot sun for the day? I wonder how much fuel can be lost this way?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Are you sure its fuel? I believe the battery overflow hose routes the same way.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If it is fuel, I can't imagine it being all that much. Perhaps if the tank was overfilled you might see quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
klouseau said:
Are you sure its fuel? I believe the battery overflow hose routes the same way.
The battery on this bike is a sealed battery if I'm not mistaken, thus no hose.
I believe the 3 hoses down there are the Tank overflow, Tank Breather, and coolant breather.

As for the wet spot ..... it could have been gas. If your tank was full to the max the gas could have expanded in the tank.

·
Speedbump
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, its definitely fuel, and yes, the three hoses are indeed fuel breather, fuel overflow and coolant overflow. The battery is sealed and the crankcase breather hose doesn't terminate there.

Down here in sunny NC, its hot - really hot, and it doesn't matter what level the fuel seems to be in the tank. At work days end, I usually see what must be the remnants of at least several drops, maybe a wet spot the size of a silver dollar.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
When my bike was new, it splooged a bit every few days. One night, it splogged a good amount of green gunk which I assumed to have been coolant... but after a while, it stopped ejaculating all over my driveway.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Kneedragger said:
Not crankcase breather?
The Crankcase breather hose is actually under the tank, it connects to the airbox. If you have the service manual look on page 3-35 for the location of that hose.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I get that too, once in a while. Surprisingly enough, I've only seen it happen at work on really hot days.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Binary Jay said:
When my bike was new, it splooged a bit every few days. One night, it splogged a good amount of green gunk which I assumed to have been coolant... but after a while, it stopped ejaculating all over my driveway.
You were just rubbing it too much! :lao

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Bill_B said:
Has anyone noticed a wet spot underneath the breather/overflow hoses after their bike sits in the hot sun for the day? I wonder how much fuel can be lost this way?
Mine does the same from time to time. Its just marking its territory.

Seriously, mine does it when the fuel tank is full, or close to full, and it sits in the sun.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Kneedragger said:
Not crankcase breather?
The crankcase is vented back into the airbox. More earth-friendly that way. :rolleyes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts