Sport Bikes banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
5,547 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Installed my ECU from the UK yesterday.

I rode the bike with the old ECU before installing new one. The bike took a second to start as its been sitting for awhile. Took the bike out and got it fully warmed up. Then went back to the house and swapped it out.

I noticed a smoother idle a little cleaner pull topend and it seemed to rev a little faster. I felt the frontend lift at a 7k stab at the throttle. More power? I would like to say yes but I don't really know.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Installed my ECU from the UK yesterday.

I rode the bike with the old ECU before installing new one. The bike took a second to start as its been sitting for awhile. Took the bike out and got it fully warmed up. Then went back to the house and swapped it out.

I noticed a smoother idle a little cleaner pull topend and it seemed to rev a little faster. I felt the frontend lift at a 7k stab at the throttle. More power? I would like to say yes but I don't really know.
I noticed a different exhaust note right away with mine, and the change in idle. The biggest change was it made throttle response near instantaneous. Perhaps a bit more power, but huge difference in engine braking. If you let off the throttle with the stock ECU, it feels like you are running against a headwind - the bike slows itself down. With the Euro ECU if you let off little happens - like you are coasting in neutral is my best estimation of the sensation - little to no engine braking. Jay and I found the rev limiter is a bit higher with the Euro unit. The dyno confirms that.

We both have Dynojet stage 1 kits with a +4 ignition advancer, K&N, iridium plugs, RS3 exhaust and the ECU.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I noticed a different exhaust note right away with mine, and the change in idle. The biggest change was it made throttle response near instantaneous. Perhaps a bit more power, but huge difference in engine braking. If you let off the throttle with the stock ECU, it feels like you are running against a headwind - the bike slows itself down. With the Euro ECU if you let off little happens - like you are coasting in neutral is my best estimation of the sensation - little to no engine braking. Jay and I found the rev limiter is a bit higher with the Euro unit. The dyno confirms that.

We both have Dynojet stage 1 kits with a +4 ignition advancer, K&N, iridium plugs, RS3 exhaust and the ECU.
Engine Braking seemed the same on my bike (remember I not rolling a ZZR). Yea, I agree the bike seems to rev faster and pull harder but I cant confirm that... just that I want to say it does cause I threw money at it :lao.

Yes I have all the same upgrades as well just a different pipe manufacturer.

It does Idle much smoother for sure.

Im happy with it.

When are the three of us going to meet at Barber Motorsports and do a trackday?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Average engine temp was in the 180s yesterday.

With the old ECU it would stay in the 160 range.

The radiator fan was defiantly kicking in more. It would hardly come on pre Euro ECU.

Just reporting the new findings....

·
5,547 Posts
Average engine temp was in the 180s yesterday.

With the old ECU it would stay in the 160 range.

The radiator fan was defiantly kicking in more. It would hardly come on pre Euro ECU.

Just reporting the new findings....
I didn't notice any drastic temp change when I switched from the U.S. spec ECU to the Euro spec ECU. Thanks for the info.

·
5,547 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
When are the three of us going to meet at Barber Motorsports and do a trackday?
Whenever Jay decides to ride down! I'm definitely up for it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not to bring up a somewhat old thread but I've been toying with the Euro ECU in my bike and noticed everything as much above except for one thing which bugs me every time I start the bike. I was taught to hold in the clutch, regardless if its in gear or neutral, while starting the bike (mostly to prevent it from jumping) This is an automatic habit. After installing the Euro ECU the only way the bike will start is with the bike in neutral and the clutch left fully out.

Is this the same for everyone else or just with mine? I don't have any issues with the clutch besides prior starting. Possibly clutch switch or kickstand? Don't think it's the kickstand cause I recently stalled to the side of the road (no gas and forgot to flip to reserve) and I was forced to put it back into neutral even though I was trying to start it while in first, clutch in, and kickstand up.

Should clarify that when I try to start it in gear with clutch in nothing happens. Doesn't make a sound, only starts as stated above. Thanks for the help.

·
5,547 Posts
Not to bring up a somewhat old thread but I've been toying with the Euro ECU in my bike and noticed everything as much above except for one thing which bugs me every time I start the bike. I was taught to hold in the clutch, regardless if its in gear or neutral, while starting the bike (mostly to prevent it from jumping) This is an automatic habit. After installing the Euro ECU the only way the bike will start is with the bike in neutral and the clutch left fully out.

Is this the same for everyone else or just with mine? I don't have any issues with the clutch besides prior starting. Possibly clutch switch or kickstand? Don't think it's the kickstand cause I recently stalled to the side of the road (no gas and forgot to flip to reserve) and I was forced to put it back into neutral even though I was trying to start it while in first, clutch in, and kickstand up.

Should clarify that when I try to start it in gear with clutch in nothing happens. Doesn't make a sound, only starts as stated above. Thanks for the help.
Nope my ZZR has a European spec ECU, and starts either in neutral or while the bike is in gear with clutch pulled in. Guess you better check your clutch switch. Be sure to use the correct size Phillips screwdriver on those two small screws that hold the switch in place. They are very soft. There is a how to, in the stickies on how to take the switch apart and clean it. I just replaced mine when I had issues, they are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info, cleaned it up and seemed to work fine now. Though every now and then it seems to creep back. Somewhat baffles me but it turns on in gear now, very easy to clean and the screws are soft. Went ahead and used the Philips that came with the bike to be on the safe side.

:high5

·
5,547 Posts
Thanks for the info, cleaned it up and seemed to work fine now. Though every now and then it seems to creep back. Somewhat baffles me but it turns on in gear now, very easy to clean and the screws are soft. Went ahead and used the Philips that came with the bike to be on the safe side.

:high5
You can actually take one of those soft screws to the hardware store like I did and find stainless steel screw with same threads and length and replace them with new ones.

·
5,547 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just purchased a euro ecu of ebay uk for 65 bucks shipped. Plus had 32 dollars off from using seller credits!

Cant wait to see what its does for my bike!

Thanks x-Drag Racer for the heads up and advice!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
5,547 Posts
Thread was started in 2011. Love my euro ecu. Makes the ZZR fun to ride.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts