Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any of you that purchased a Euro-spec ECU, please PM me with the mods you have, and any suggestions from your experiences.

I am running NGK Iridium plugs, Yosh RS3 can without the insert, K&N filter, Dynojet Stage 1 kit, 124 inner jets, 122 outer jets, clip on third slot on needle, 2 turns out on fuel screws, +4 FP advancer.

I am most curious to know for those of you with the Euro model, what if any, jetting changes you ran with. Also, does the advancer stay in or will I pull it to get best result after new ECU?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For any of you that purchased a Euro-spec ECU, please PM me with the mods you have, and any suggestions from your experiences.

I am running NGK Iridium plugs, Yosh RS3 can without the insert, K&N filter, Dynojet Stage 1 kit, 124 inner jets, 122 outer jets, clip on third slot on needle, 2 turns out on fuel screws, +4 FP advancer.

I am most curious to know for those of you with the Euro model, what if any, jetting changes you ran with. Also, does the advancer stay in or will I pull it to get best result after new ECU?
No one? Wow.

Long story short, I found a breaker in the UK that would ship me the Euro ECU for our bike. This supposedly adds power, and reduces engine braking. The breaker said that the needles and jets are also different between the US and Euro model, but since I rejetted I think I will keep my current setup.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
So are you going to be the guinea pig or what?

Buy it and let us know what it does for the bike, I am curious.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So are you going to be the guinea pig or what?

Buy it and let us know what it does for the bike, I am curious.
It is on its way to me from the UK. The vendor does not ship to the US, so I had him ship to my company's office in Ireland, and they will ship it to me. Unfortunately the vendor was getting persons claiming they never got the item, or worse they would claim the item he shipped was not working and they would ship their bad part back and want a refund. Guy has 100% feedback on Ebay UK, so seems honest enough.

Part ran about $87 after shipping and exchange rate. I plan to mount the new ECU in with the stock, and test the new. If I like the result, I will remain on that one, but I then can take the bike to Wheeler's next month (Deal's Gap Trip) and dyno the bike with both and see the difference.

On Kawiforums some have suggested as high as 8-10hp gain, with at least one guy with a dyno slip to supposedly back it up. Not sure how that is possible, but I will give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Another with a few mods posted a gain of 1.5-2 HP across the RPM range. That guy did not have a +4 advancer, the guy with one is the one claiming +8hp.

Some light reading on the subject: The Euro Spec experience : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums

Post #45 is the guy suggesting he got +8hp. For everyone that claims gains, someone else suggests it is bunk, their bikes will blow up, etc. Use your own judgement I suppose. Of those who bought them, 97% seem happy with the mod. One guy actually showed a drop in power on the dyno, but that was an isolated case.

Some suggested effects of the Euro ECU:

Improved fuel economy
Smoother idle
Higher rev limiter
Improved HP/TQ
Lessened engine braking - this one seems to be accepted by all

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sweet! Guy just shipped, refunded part of my charge for shipping as it ended up cheaper! That means I now have about $65 invested in the part. If I get 2HP out of this that is $32.50 per pony - not bad!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
OK, here goes:

ECU went in Sunday. I started the bike up and could tell the idle was smoother. No obvious change in exhaust note.

Took the bike for a ride, seemed smoother, no pick up in power to really speak of. I did note that the engine braking is seriously lessened - a good thing I would think, especially for the track. If you downshift and let out on the clutch, you know how the bike slows considerably? It doesn't nearly as much with this ECU.

So after a short spin I liked what I experienced and said fair enough on what I paid for the thing.

After riding the bike to work yesterday, I can say that the bike accelerates smoother and faster than without it. My suspicion is it took the ECU some time to adjust to the bike, and once it settled in there was definite improvement in acceleration.

I will get the bike dynoed in two weeks to see what the output is. I don't plan on doing a before, since I would have to remove the Euro one, let the old ECU adjust out, then run it then do the same thing over again. I'm happy with the result, and that is all that matters.

My performance mod list: NGK Iridium Plugs, K&N filter, DynoJet Stage1 (122outers, 124 inners, 2x out on fuel screws, needle at 3rd clip with one shim), Yoshimura RS3 without low volume insert, Factory Pro +4 advancer, ZX600J Euro ECU model 21119-1557

·
Registered
377 Posts
ok, so where'd you get if from ? and how much do i have to pay you to forward the shipment ? hehe

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought mine from a nice gent in the UK off Ebay, his handle was mrsbitz. He even was nice enough to ask after the fact if the result was as expected. It was...

Now the issue is that he is not keen on shipping to the US, as people have defrauded him (returned him their US ECUs saying his did not work, said they never got his shipment, etc). He has 100% feedback so I trust the guy, but apparently idiots here are keen on ripping him off. Sad.

So, if you drop my name and if he has another he *might* ship it to the US. I paid $65 equivalent American $$$s for mine, but a coworker in Ireland shipped it to me, so I paid nothing for that. It was a hassel for my guy to ship it to me, and I would not want to abuse a favor in case I need more parts sent over from the UK.

They get the fun stuff there... My new 10r is down on HP from the UK models due to 'noise and emissions' restrictions in the States. Thanks Amerikan Gubbermint for my neutered 2011 ZX10r! :twofinger

Check Ebay UK for the part number, and good luck! It is worth it 100%

·
Registered
377 Posts
cool, i'll check for the part number looks like he doesn't have any products for sale now...

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Just won my Euro ECU Model 21119-1557 on Ebay UK for $53.26 shipped!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Darnit.. i keep forgetting to go back to ebay uk to check for more ..

They have some ecu's but searching for " 21119-1557 " doesn't help at all.. grr.. Wanna make sure i'm getting the euro model.. Found one a few weeks ago, but they didn't state that they ship to the US.

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Darnit.. i keep forgetting to go back to ebay uk to check for more ..

They have some ecu's but searching for " 21119-1557 " doesn't help at all.. grr.. Wanna make sure i'm getting the euro model.. Found one a few weeks ago, but they didn't state that they ship to the US.
:eek:nfloorYou snooze you loose:eek:nfloor

I rode Ray's bike last month while we were in North Carolina with the Euro ECU installed. It's a totally different bike with the Euro ECU, the biggest difference that I noticed was on decel was the lessened engine braking. We also put our bikes on the dyno with all of the same mods, Yoshimura RS-3, Factory Pro +4 degree ignition advancer, K&N air filter, NGK Iridium plugs, Dynojet kit same jets and fuel screw settings etc, Mobil 1 4T Racing full synthetic oil. His bike red lined 500 rpm's higher than mine and had more torque. But our HP was about the same. Which can be fixed by adjusting the jet kit setup hopefully.

Hopefully I will have my ECU in a few days:)

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
This ebay UK listing ended already. But I emailed the seller when the listing was still active to see if he would ship to the U.S., they emailed me back and said they would for GBP 5.00. His name is David Fountain. If you really want the ECU I'm sure he still has it because the auction ended and no one purchased it. It was GBP 30.00. I shopped around a litte bit and got mine for for GBP 31.99 shipped which was $53.26 USD.

Kawasaki ZX6R J CDI ECU 21119-1557 | eBay UK

ebay store user name "tuks_breakers"

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Ray the post office finally called this morning at about 745am. ECU finally arrived after two weeks of waiting. I have one Euro Spec ECU in my hand!:banana Going to install it on Saturday. Can't wait!

For those of you that still might be interested in a Euro spec ECU try Home > Motorcycle Recycle

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Finished installing my Euro ECU a little while ago. Started the bike up and immediatley noticed the smoother idle. Rev'ed the motor a few times and it appears to be smoother all the way up into the higher rpm's. Going to ride her to tomorrow and see how she feels. Possibly the best $53.26 I have spent on the bike since I have owned it.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finished installing my Euro ECU a little while ago. Started the bike up and immediatley noticed the smoother idle. Rev'ed the motor a few times and it appears to be smoother all the way up into the higher rpm's. Going to ride her to tomorrow and see how she feels. Possibly the best $53.26 I have spent on the bike since I have owned it.
Well? :horse

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Well? :horse
Wow what a big difference! All around I think the bike runs better. It appeared that the torque was better in the higher rpm's. The biggest was the lessened engine braking on decel. I also noticed a much smoother idle too. I'm happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow what a big difference! All around I think the bike runs better. It appeared that the torque was better in the higher rpm's. The biggest was the lessened engine braking on decel. I also noticed a much smoother idle too. I'm happy with the purchase.
Told ya :horse

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
I ordered the valve cover gasket and the pulser cover gasket yesterday from ronayers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I found one of these today and the part number is below. Can anyone verify that this is correct and if so then I finally found it and can get it ordered.
CODE: 21119-1557 J4T11572 9Y10

1 - 20 of 85 Posts