Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yamaha FZ6 and it tipped over today (stopped on a steep hill at an angle). I managed to stop it just as the foot peg touched down but when I righted it, I got an error code 30 (lean angle cut-off). The bike shut off but then re-started without a problem.

When I got home and turned the bike off, I got an error code 19 (side stand switch circuit). It's not even on the side stand.

The big problem here is now the bike's lights won't shut off. I turn the key off and remove it like always but only the engine stops, the lights (and for a while the fan) keep running. The speedo is lit up with the error code 19 on the bottom.

I think I'll disconnect the battery (as soon as I figure out where it is!)

Any ideas?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do you have the service manual?
The link is posted on this forum. In this manual you can look up what the error codes mean.

I advise you to contact a dealer ASAP. They can figure it out for you. Your bike is new so it has to be fixed under guarantee.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I downloaded the manual. I would have to remove the seat, cowling and gas tank to get at the battery! Does anyone know an easier way? I just figured I'd do even more damage trying to get all that stuff off so I just left it alone and the battery died. What a nightmare it would be to boost this puppy roadside!

The dealer is sending a truck by today to pick my bike up. They said it likely won't be covered under my warranty but they will pick up the cost themselves (phew!)

Wish me luck...

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
Good Luck! I ran my battery dead myself cause stupid me didnt turn off the ign. all the way at a friends house. so...while i was chatting on thier front porch, the battery died and i had to push start my bike. I did it in 3rd and i fired up on the 2nd try. It only took like 10 feet to do it in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Cutman said:
The dealer is sending a truck by today to pick my bike up. They said it likely won't be covered under my warranty but they will pick up the cost themselves (phew!)

Wish me luck...
Would not be covered by warranty! Thats crap!
I have a problem with my front forks I think. When I let go of the handle bars the bike wants to lean to the left immediately. When I asked the service writer he said that it wouldnt be covered. I asked him what this stupid YES thing covered that I payed 500 extra dollars for. He paused and then said he would take a look at the coverage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I read your post earlier and thought whew, glad it aint me. Guess what I got today? Error 12! Crankshaft position sensor. Will not start. :cry At least it happened at home. Called the dealer where I bought it from, they wanted $150 bucks to pick it up. Screw that, I'll find someone else to fix it. This totally blows......well at least it aint you guys. lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
yellman said:
I read your post earlier and thought whew, glad it aint me. Guess what I got today? Error 12! Crankshaft position sensor. Will not start. :cry At least it happened at home. Called the dealer where I bought it from, they wanted $150 bucks to pick it up. Screw that, I'll find someone else to fix it. This totally blows......well at least it aint you guys. lol
Can anyone please tell me where all this errorcodes are listed ??

:nerd

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
Since many of us have the pdf maybe the codes could get posted up top with the other important information?

·
Registered
205 Posts
FZ6 said:
Since many of us have the pdf maybe the codes could get posted up top with the other important information?
Error Code 12: Crankshaft position sensor
Error Code 19: Sidestand switch open circuit in wire to ECU
Error Code 30: Lean angle cut-off switch (latch up detected)
Error Code 41: Lean angle cut-off switch (open or short circuit)
Error Code 50: ECU internal malfunction (memory check error)

Not sure if that all helps.

Skippy

·
Registered
205 Posts
Error code trouble shooting

I have saved the pages from the maunual that deals with clearing error codes, hope it helps and not hinders someone.

Skippy

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
yellman said:
After the battery died I got an error 12 and an ER-1 (ECU malfunction) code as well. The dealer picked up my bike and charged the battery. They told me they were going to attempt to reset the computer today and to call them tomorrow.

This has me worried. If such a minor incident (that didn't even cause any cosmetic damage) could so completely screw the bike up, what's next? I'm planning a trip to Northern Cali in Sept and I want to know I can depend on this bike. Up until this incident, I've had no complaints though.

As for accessing the battery, a mechanic friend of mine said he'll set me up with some cables running from the battery to the storage compartment under the seat. Just cap 'em off and secure them so you can easily access the battery for a roadside boost. It's interesting to learn you can push start this bike. I was lead to believe that was very difficult with FI bikes.

Here's a quick link to error code lists for Yamaha bikes: http://bikes.no-ip.info/TDM900/tec46_tdm900ecucodes.html

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hardy said:
Would not be covered by warranty! Thats crap!
I have a problem with my front forks I think. When I let go of the handle bars the bike wants to lean to the left immediately. When I asked the service writer he said that it wouldnt be covered. I asked him what this stupid YES thing covered that I payed 500 extra dollars for. He paused and then said he would take a look at the coverage.
I completely agree. I was eating breakfast when the service guy said that and there was cereal and milk all over the wall as a result! I think he noticed my shock because he quickly said not to worry, they'll take care of it. Still waiting to see what happens and if they decide to charge me for any of the work.

In the past they've offered me an extended warranty which I contemplated getting. Now I figure what's the point?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Cutman said:
In the past they've offered me an extended warranty which I contemplated getting. Now I figure what's the point?
I plan on asking the same thing when they try and give me the estimate on the labor and parts, or just fluid. I have read the warranty and it sounds like it covers any factory defects including settings for the extended period of the warranty. It has a bunch of fine print that talks about you still having to pay for the normal services and have it initialed by the mechanic. If one of these is skipped or neglected then void. But I have been very good about it just because this is a first year bike design for the states and with everything in life, nothing is perfect.

We will see if I can keep my cereal...

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
FZ6 said:
I'll get them all entered into a thread by themselves, and then ask Fred to create a link at the top.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I picked up my bike today and everything seems to be in working order. The service guy said that all the error codes were the result of a low charge in the battery. They tested the battery itself and the charging system and said it was all working properly. He speculated that the cause was my alarm draining the battery. That actually makes sense because I went on vacation for a couple of weeks and left the alarm armed (no prox sensor though). The day I had the problems was the first day I took it out for a run. He couldn't really explain why the lights wouldn't turn off but it appears this bike simply doesn't do what it's supposed to when the battery charge gets too low.

I read another post where someone's bike didn't start because the alarm drained his battery. I didn't realize these bike alarms used so much power. The service guy recommeded leaving the battery connected to a tender if I'm going to leave the alarm armed for more than a few days without riding. That way the thief will only steal the battery tender... :mg

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Cutman said:
After the battery died I got an error 12 and an ER-1 (ECU malfunction) code as well. The dealer picked up my bike and charged the battery. They told me they were going to attempt to reset the computer today and to call them tomorrow.

This has me worried. If such a minor incident (that didn't even cause any cosmetic damage) could so completely screw the bike up, what's next? I'm planning a trip to Northern Cali in Sept and I want to know I can depend on this bike. Up until this incident, I've had no complaints though.

As for accessing the battery, a mechanic friend of mine said he'll set me up with some cables running from the battery to the storage compartment under the seat. Just cap 'em off and secure them so you can easily access the battery for a roadside boost. It's interesting to learn you can push start this bike. I was lead to believe that was very difficult with FI bikes.

Here's a quick link to error code lists for Yamaha bikes: http://bikes.no-ip.info/TDM900/tec46_tdm900ecucodes.html
I left my ignition on the other night. Fully charged the battery, and this morning I was also getting Error Code 12. What's up with these FZ6's give an Error code 12 after a dead battery. Does someone know how to reset the computer? Will disconnecting the battery do it? I don't have my service manual in front of me, I guess I will look when I get home to see if it says how to reset the computer.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Fixed!

I fixed it. Tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting...still received the error code and couldn't start bike...disconnected and reconnected the ECU...still received the error code and couldn't start bike...disconnected the "rectifier"...turned the bike on with is disconnected...received the error, but it it let me start the bike...reconnected the rectifier...turned the bike back on...NO ERROR, and bike started.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
I killed my battery once by leaving the key on and i bump started it with no codes or anything. Guess i got lucky???!!??!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts