Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new bike worked last night perfectly. It has 34 miles on it and tis morning it won't start. The gentleman I bought it from hasn't ridden it in 3 months so it has been stored. I looked up the error code and it says something about the wiring harness or crankshaft position sensor. Can anyone post a picture of where I should be looking as I'm hoping it is just something that is lose. I don't have a way to get it to the shop and need to get to school. If I can at least get it going enough to get to class and the shop that would be wonderful.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, I did more searching and realise it is probably a dead battery. It is possible to jump start a bike with cables or do I need to take the battery to the shop?

·
Registered
858 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
Okay, I did more searching and realise it is probably a dead battery. It is possible to jump start a bike with cables or do I need to take the battery to the shop?
You can more than likely get it to start with a jump start but chances are if the bikes been stored a while and hasn't been trickled charged the battery may be so dead it be best to take it out and have someone fully charge it and test it or it may leave you stranded some were again after you get it started and then cut it off again. Just my .02 :lol
Or if you want to try and push start it, heard people having luck with that before too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm by myself so I can't see a push start working... I can't even get it on the center stand myself. I'm taking the battery out and going to take a taxi to the dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
Your best bet is a battery charger/tender. You can pick up a really basic one for about $30 at Sears. To hook it up to the battery, you need to lift the gas tank. It's not a big deal, you just remove the two hex bolts at the front of the tank and rotate it up. You may also have to remove part of the front fairing too. I can't remember if you can squeeze the tank around them or not.

You can also try compression starting the bike. Turn the bike on, get it rolling at a good speed with it in 1st gear and the clutch in, and then pop the clutch. Be careful doing this though, because it will probably spin the back tire a little bit if the engine actually starts. Also, make sure your kickstand is up and your kill switch is in the run position. Nothing is more frustrating (or tiring since somebody has to push the bike to get it rolling) than attempting this 4 or 5 times only to realize you had the kill switch off.

-Oops, you've already discussed this option...that's the problem with being too verbose.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I can get it to start with a battery charger will driving it on the freeway for an hour finish the charge or do I need to miss class? Also, If I get it to start will it stall at the stop signs... I have one stop sign and three lights to get through?

·
Registered
32 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
If I can get it to start with a battery charger will driving it on the freeway for an hour finish the charge or do I need to miss class? Also, If I get it to start will it stall at the stop signs... I have one stop sign and three lights to get through?
Well, that depends. The safest approach is to get it started and let it run for an hour at home. This way if the battery is bad or if the bike has an electrical problem and is not charging your battery, you won't be stuck somewhere. It won't stall at stop signs since the generator still produces electricity even at idle. If however you stalled the engine because of the notoriously short clutch travel, you might have trouble getting it restarted. If everything is still in good operating condition and you don't accidently stall, running an hour on the freeway should give you enough charge to restart the bike later.

Oh, and depending on whether the charger is a quick charger (high current) or a trickle charger (low current), it should fully charge your battery in either 3-4 hours (quick charger) or overnight (trickle charger).

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
plebar said:
Well, that depends. The safest approach is to get it started and let it run for an hour at home. This way if the battery is bad or if the bike has an electrical problem and is not charging your battery, you won't be stuck somewhere. It won't stall at stop signs since the generator still produces electricity even at idle. If however you stalled the engine because of the notoriously short clutch travel, you might have trouble getting it restarted. If everything is still in good operating condition and you don't accidently stall, running an hour on the freeway should give you enough charge to restart the bike later.

Oh, and depending on whether the charger is a quick charger (high current) or a trickle charger (low current), it should fully charge your battery in either 3-4 hours (quick charger) or overnight (trickle charger).
Letting the bike idle won't put out enough juice to charge the battery. It needs to be runhigher than idle (I've heard around 5000 rpm, which I believe is where max wattage is made).

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's all hooked up to a charger, but I'm wondering what happened... is it possible to leave the lights on even when the key is out of the ignition and you don't see lights?

·
Registered
119 Posts
O Boy, let the flaming begin.......

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lost and frustrated

The charger says the battery is full... yet it still won't start. I feel like banging my head against something.

·
Registered
32 Posts
04Fizzer said:
Letting the bike idle won't put out enough juice to charge the battery. It needs to be runhigher than idle (I've heard around 5000 rpm, which I believe is where max wattage is made).
Hmm...I didn't know that, it's a good one to file away for future reference though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
The charger says the battery is full... yet it still won't start. I feel like banging my head against something.
Well, I'm getting an error code 12 on my bike but it is for a totally different problem.

Check the thread titled Starter "stuck" on. My starter switch somehow was staying engaged constantly. I'm waiting on a replacement part right now.

I got the error code 12 when I disconnected the lead that goes from the starter relay to the starter motor. So, I guess there's a possibility that you have a problem with a loose connection to the starter relay.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Here's a stupid question, but did you check the engine cut-off switch (the big red one on the throttle side of the bars)?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
04Fizzer said:
Here's a stupid question, but did you check the engine cut-off switch (the big red one on the throttle side of the bars)?
Not a stupid question at all. I did check it and have been wondering if there are any other "so obvious I might miss them" things I should check before I pay to have it hauled away.

·
Registered
32 Posts
04Fizzer said:
Yeah along those same lines, if the kickstand is down, or the bike is in gear and the clutch is out it will also not start. The kickstand one gets me every once in while.

You wouldn't be getting an error code if one of the cutoffs is engaged though. Are you still getting the EC 12?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
Not a stupid question at all. I did check it and have been wondering if there are any other "so obvious I might miss them" things I should check before I pay to have it hauled away.
It's just coming from experience. A lot of people tend to overlook the stupidly obvious stuff (speaking from experience) like, is there gas in it? is the gas ON (on those old fashined bikes with petcocks)? Is the kill switch in the 'run' position?

One thing to look try, while sitting on the bike, put the bike in gear, and put the side stand up. Try to start it then. It's possible there's a bad interlock there in either the clutch or the side stand.

But if you're getting an error code, I don't think any of those are your problem.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm still getting this error code 12 so I've looked at all the wiring I can see to make sure everything is snug, but nothing. The shop can't pick it up till tomorrow so it looks like I am missing two more days of school:( I am tired of feeling trapped in this house... I swear, every vehicle I touch just breaks!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts