Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are all of these pretty similar? (Note I'm not talking about the FZ6R, since it generates a lotta rage from people I've talked to.)

I'm guessing all these bikes have decent midrange torque, and pretty comfortable....decent suspension.

So the differences come down to ergonomics, quaity of components, annnd what else?

Anyway, what do you guys think?

*this bike is being used as a first bike/semi-highway commuter....mild backroads riding*

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
I assume you mean SV650s? most ppl will say the SV or the FZ6. Id go w/ the FZ6. The other motors arent really comparable to a 100+ HP 4cyl. But that's alot for a first bike in some people's opinions.

·
Registered
848 Posts
the sv has more aggressive riding positioning out of the 3. The fz6 is the fastest out of the 3. power wise the sv and the kawi are about the same assuming they didnt tune down the engine. The SV makes slightly more power but not much more at all. the er and the sv wil have similar feels with power delivery, while the fz6 being a high reving 4 cyl will have little bottom end power but great acceleration at high revs.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
SV- V-twin, more torque down low for real world power, aftermarket parts galore, many used on the market, very large community for help and resources.

Fz6- Inline 4, faster than SV at the top end, not as much real world torque on low end, has aftermarket availability, has a nice sized community but not near the size of the SV.

ER6-N- Parallel twin, not as much toque as the SV and not as much top end as the FZ6, aftermarket is available (for Ninja650), online community is there but not as big as either the FZ6 or SV.

It really comes down to personal preference. They are similar in many ways, but also have a lot of differences. You really can't go wrong with any of the choices. There are many followers of each motorcycle that will tell you that they love their bike and they are glad they got it instead of the other.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info, guys.

While I was pondering this question, I realized that I'm really going to need good wind protection, since for the time I *am* on the highway, the wind is usually cold (northeast). Unfortunately, the SV650S really apparently has a very-forward seating position, which might not be the best for my first bike.
That leaves the Ninja 650, as the Er-6N really wont have much protection. They essentially are the same bike, so it's not that big of a change, perhaps excpet for a bit more agressive seating?.

The FZ6 has good protection from wind I hear, although I'm partial to the FZ6R. Yes I know it is called "ugly" on the FZ forum, and heavier than the FZ6, with a lower seat, but I really don't care since I personally love the way it looks!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The FZ6 is not really the best choice for a starter bike.
The bike doubles it's HP over 8k rpm.
That can be fun... If your ready for it.

The 650's have a predictable power delivery.

I would give the SV650S the edge.
After market support is great.
They look awesome with lower fairings.(ugly naked)

With some nice pipes and suspension changes I would
ride the sh!T out of one.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And that's all that matters. Apparently the Ninja 650 and FZ6R seem to be the best choices for you.
Thanks man. you should see the outrage (even if it's supposed to be sarcastic) that the FZ6R is causing on the FZ6 forum. People saying they will shunn all new buyers of it and whatnot. Kinda sad... I guess they're upset the FZ6 name was "sullied" by the FZ6R not being a step-up.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Thanks man. you should see the outrage (even if it's supposed to be sarcastic) that the FZ6R is causing on the FZ6 forum. People saying they will shunn all new buyers of it and whatnot. Kinda sad... I guess they're upset the FZ6 name was "sullied" by the FZ6R not being a step-up.
Some people are funny that way. Get what you like and start riding.
:beer

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
only difference between the ER6 and the 650R is fairings a bit different styling cues and *IVE HEARD?* a detuned motor?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the idea, man, but as my later post said, on second thought I really need SOME fairing wind protection. I personally find the FRONT of the gladius a bit ugly, but then again everyone says the FZ6Rs front is bad, so who am I to judge.....:-]

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Thanks for the idea, man, but as my later post said, on second thought I really need SOME faiing wind protection. I personally find the FRONT of the gladius a bit ugly, but then again everyone says the FZ6Rs front is bad, so who am I to judge.....:-]
Oh yeah. Sorry about that. If this is going to be your first bike than I would recommend you stay away from the FZ6 and try out the SV650sf or the gs500.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh yeah. Sorry about that. If this is going to be your first bike than I would recommend you stay away from the FZ6 and try out the SV650sf or the gs500.
The sv is tempting, but I hear the Fairing version, the SV650sf, has a REALLY forward seating position. Would feeling like I'm falling over the bike really be a good idea for a newb like myself?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
The sv is tempting, but I hear the Fairing version, the SV650sf, has a REALLY forward seating position. Would feeling like I'm falling over the bike really be a good idea for a newb like myself?
Well, the FZ6 is a more comfortable bike, but I don't think it would trouble you any more than a normal 600cc ss bike would. I'm just worried about the power from the FZ6, as it is basically a 600cc bike with 100+ hp with a nicer seating position. If you go by the start small mentality, then you certainly wouldn't go for the Yami. Heck, even the Sv is considered a little too fast for a beginner by some.

The Ninja 650r has a better seating position, though, so if you sit on the Sv and it's not to your liking, you can try out the Ninja instead.

Another great option would be the Versys. Although it doesn't have the side fairings, the windshield is nice and high, which would be ideal for highway travel.

·
I can pass this guy...
8,167 Posts

·
5,455 Posts
^^ i like it! def looks better than the SV650. its kind of a shame that it'll be sold with crap suspension like the SV is. i know everyone loves to change out the suspension on them, but i for one just want to buy something and ride it and not have to worry about putting more time and money into it. i loved my SV when i had it, but the suspension would straight up launch me out of the seat at times. hitting a bump with any kind of lean was downright scary

·
I dunno
3,784 Posts
Sounds like the fz6r fits the bill for what you're wanting, I personally think its a pretty good bike for what it was intended for, hate the name but thats just me, any of the twins I think would be fun, even the ninja 250 is fun as hell if you ride it according to its strengths.
Get what you want and don't worry about what others think, as long as you enjoy your ride its all good:cheers

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds like the fz6r fits the bill for what you're wanting, I personally think its a pretty good bike for what it was intended for, hate the name but thats just me, any of the twins I think would be fun, even the ninja 250 is fun as hell if you ride it according to its strengths.
Get what you want and don't worry about what others think, as long as you enjoy your ride its all good:cheers
Yea I understand the name hating that the FZ6 fans are giving the "R" model. It bums me a bit too...after all, an FZ6"R" should be really a much sportier/faster/better bike than it's predecesor...like a more racy FZ6.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts