Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I just got my confirmation for the MSF course, and it said i need to have a whole bunch of gear to do the course. ( they didnt say this before i signed up WTF?)

anyway i dont have any gear cuz i dont have a bike, and im taking the course before i buy one to make sure i want one. Get it? So has anyone had this problem and any suggestions. I was thinking of buying some gear on ebay, and then hoping Ill still want a motorcycle after the course.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The only requirement for my MSF a few years ago was long sleeves, long pants, over the ankle boots and leather gloves. They even provided the helmet if you needed one which most people did. Seems strange they would require all the m/c gear! Call them up and ask, I'm sure they can't expect people who don't even own bikes to have all the gear.

·
Ducati Twins Rock
267 Posts
Yup, long sleeves, long pants, boots, and gloves. I bought an $8 pair of leather work gloves from Home Depot to take my MSF. They will provide helmets if you don't have one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, If thats the case, I guess i didnt realize they probably just mean normal clothes not motorcycle gear. Ill call em up. Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, you don't need to go out and fork over $$$ on gear, although you should anyway if you plan to ride safely. Long shirt, jeans, some boots, and cheapy gloves will be fine. Good luck.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Jwebley said:
anyway i dont have any gear cuz i dont have a bike, and im taking the course before i buy one to make sure i want one. Get it? So has anyone had this problem and any suggestions. I was thinking of buying some gear on ebay, and then hoping Ill still want a motorcycle after the course.
You don't need a bike to get gear. I puchased my gear before the MSF and before the bike.

Stay with the basics: long sleeve shirt, jeans, over the ankle boots, eye-protection (face shield on full face helmets good for this) and full-fingered gloves.

I was dedicated to getting the machine no matter how I did after MSF so I purchased the gear first (most of it). That's def. an advantage, making the decision regardless of MSF.

Helmets are supplied (3/4s style) to everybody that doesn't have them.

On a side note: bring liquids with you. That's one thing I forget to bring to the course the first day and I was nearly dehydrated if it wasn't for some chartible students also at the course!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I suggest to my students to wear a short sleeve shirt and bring a long sleve they can put on over the other when they are about to ride. Then they can take it off after the ride. They dont even have to button it up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
at the msf course here they provided gloves all u needed was eye protection i.e. sunglasses or glasses long sleeves, jeans and over teh ankle boots

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, for the info guys.

I definitley plan on investing in good gear once i make the final decision to get a bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts