Enough...

471 views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  mikem317 
#1 ·
I Wish You Enough......

Recently I overheard a mother and daughter in their last moments

together at the airport. They had announced the departure. Standing

near the security gate, they hugged and the mother said "I love you and

I wish you enough".

The daughter replied, "Mom, our life together has been more than enough.

Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough, too, Mom".

They kissed and the daughter left. The mother walked over to the window

where I was seated. Standing there I could see she wanted and needed to

cry.

I tried not to intrude on her privacy but she welcomed me in by asking

"Did you ever say good-bye to someone knowing it would be forever?""Yes,

I have,"

I replied. "Forgive me for asking but why is this a forever goodbye?"

"I am old and she lives so far away. I have challenges ahead and the

reality is - the next trip back will be for my funeral" she said.

"When you were saying goodbye, I heard you say 'I wish you enough'.

May I ask what that means?"

She began to smile.

"That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My

parents used to say it to everyone."

She paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail

and she smiled even more.

When we said 'I wish you enough' we were wanting the other person to

have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them."

Then turning toward me she shared the following as if she were reciting

it from memory ---

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright. I wish you enough

rain to appreciate the sun more. I wish you enough happiness to keep

your spirit alive. I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in

life appear much b*****. I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.

I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess. I wish you

enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye.

She then began to cry and walked away.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to

appreciate them, a day to love them, but then an entire life to forget

them.

See less See more
#3 ·
That's because you're young and most likely don't have a child of your own yet!!! You've probably never suffered a loss that was of any significance either!!! Tell you what... save this post for ten years and come back and read it then!!! I think you might find it has more meaning then!!!!

#4 ·
pwang said:
Sorry man, but this thread is more ghey than Richard Simmons.
You've obviously never been in a situation where you knew you were going to lose someone. Or maybe not lost someone of significance to you.

The messages in the original post are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

#5 ·
Ghost_Rider said:
That's because you're young and most likely don't have a child of your own yet!!! You've probably never suffered a loss that was of any significance either!!! Tell you what... save this post for ten years and come back and read it then!!! I think you might find it has more meaning then!!!!
Your post speaks novels. It is a little cheesy though.
Sort of a "Chicken Soup for the Soul" kinda story.

#6 ·
i liked it i am goin through a rough time with my mom and it makes me call her and tell her i love her. thanks i think i will

#7 ·
Being a final goodbye it's sad but the way they said their goodbyes was so Incredibly sweet and touching. Very nice story and thank you for sharing.

#10 ·
Good post! To the one referring it to Richard Simmons, grow a little man.

Sad thing is that most times we don't get the chance to say goodbye before someone is taken away and we always feel like if we could have had one more chance to say goodbye we would be better. 2 years ago this Thanksgiving my father passed away, I was there 2 days before and didn't anything would happen or go wrong and said my normal goodbye....boy to have that last 5 mins. back.

#12 ·
Be it a bit cheezy it was a good post, and also if you have never lost a chance to say something kind to a person you lost....well you'll never get this.....if you have well then you understand. Ill never understand why it is that someone who has nothing positive to add to a thread will post something like that just to get a laugh?

#14 ·
pwang said:
Sorry man, but this thread is more ghey than Richard Simmons.
It's a tad ironic that you bash other's for getting emotional, but in your post you say that you'd execuse somebody for getting emotional.

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1855850#post1855850

I mean, seriously:

pwang said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a man crying or revealing emotion to the outside world. Heck, I'll admit that a good movie or a song might choke me up a bit.
Stop picking a fight man, especially when you argue without conviction.

Good story!

#15 ·
I had a similar incident with my grandfather (I guess he was kind of like my father since I have no idea who my real father was) and the last time I saw him was at a subway having lunch....little did I know that 2 days later, he was going to be killed in a head on collision by someone who took too many pills and drove her car. I didn't even get to see him in the hospital, I never got to tell him anything, this touched home for me......Great post, Thanks

#16 ·
GixxerSteph said:
I had a similar incident with my grandfather (I guess he was kind of like my father since I have no idea who my real father was) and the last time I saw him was at a subway having lunch....little did I know that 2 days later, he was going to be killed in a head on collision by someone who took too many pills and drove her car. I didn't even get to see him in the hospital, I never got to tell him anything, this touched home for me......Great post, Thanks
I'm sorry for your loss! That's pretty deep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.