Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting what the British Dept. of Transport is thinking of...
Let's hope it doesn't come this side of the pond.

From the AMA:

"British Department of Transport is set to reveal plans for a new road charge scheme which charges for every mile you cover. The pilot programs set-up within two years, although the plans are unlikely to become reality before 2015.
Road use would be measured by satellite tracking, with quiet country lanes costing 2p a mile, and the busiest areas costing £1.30 ($2.28). And riders would need to have tracking devices fitted. There's currently no official line on whether motorcycles will be included, with the Transport saying that they can't answer any specific questions, but it could see bikes and cars priced off the roads.
As an example, commuting ten miles in rush hour at the top price would cost £13 ($22.82) one way. To get home during rush hour doubles it to £26 ($45.64). And work five days a week and you'll be paying £130 ($228.15) just to get to and from work. Do that every week and you'll pay £6760 ($11,863.81) just to commute. "

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Great idea, as long as the pricing scheme is based on something like vehicle weight or emissions (which usually go hand in hand). Make it so that it's very very cheap (or free) for very small cars, or, motorcycles of course... and make it prohibitively expensive to own a snarking SUV or to do all of your commuting in an 8 seater van by yourself.

Something has to be done to push people into more environmentally friendly vehicles, though I'm sure the rising price of gas is accomplishing it, a little help never hurt.

Besides, by 2015 my gas guzzling Taurus will be dead or dying. :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Wow......and I thought our D.O.T. sucked. Sounds like a great way to screw over average joe blow.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
They're working on a pilot program for that here in Oregon. They want to tax by the mile, regardless of weight (road wear) or gas milage. The motivation is that it's 'unfair' that hybrid cars pay less tax than hummers, and tax revenues are not keeping up with use, as people choose more efficient cars.

The real kicker is that they want to attach a GPS to every vehicle, and download the information at the pump. Talk about Big Brother. Meanwhile, some misguided motorcycle riders in Washington are supporting a repeal of the gas tax, which will force the government to find other funds for road maintenance. It's not much of a leap to think they'll go for a straight miles tax if Oregon does, screwing the hybrids and motorcycles, but rewarding hummers, etc.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You think that sucks. A few of the local governments in this neck of the planet have toyed with the idea of using compulsory GPS to track speed and hence issue fines. Would just about kill the motorcycle industry.

Do you guys pay any sort of excise on your fuel? If you do then your are already paying a milage tax. I know more than half of our pump price goes straight to lil Johny Howard.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Personally I think it'll be a long long time before GPS units are attached to any vehicle here in the US. You'll always have some group complaining about invasion of privacy or something like that.
Besides, all the damn tolls are supposed to be for fixin the roads and whatnot here in NJ ..... those tolls are a tax all by themselves.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yep - it was major news over here and there was a lot of ill feeling toward the Government as they suppressed this information before the Election. Apparently the cost to implement it would be astronomical, so probably won't go much further. It is a blinkered attempt by the government to cut congestion. The public transport system over here is shite - all it would succeed in doing would be to move the congestion elsewhere...... all a bunch of old bollocks if you ask me. I'll just have to get a F*** off big monster truck and go offroad to get to work!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Stunts said:
Yep - it was major news over here and there was a lot of ill feeling toward the Government as they suppressed this information before the Election. Apparently the cost to implement it would be astronomical, so probably won't go much further. It is a blinkered attempt by the government to cut congestion. The public transport system over here is shite - all it would succeed in doing would be to move the congestion elsewhere...... all a bunch of old bollocks if you ask me. I'll just have to get a F*** off big monster truck and go offroad to get to work!

Don't y'all elect most of your legislative people over there?? Do you think the people of the UK would stand for it? How could one branch of your government promote tourism and social events while another wants to tax people by the mile??

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bumblebee said:
Don't y'all elect most of your legislative people over there?? Do you think the people of the UK would stand for it? ?
Not wishing to move this to the political forum or to take it in that direction..
I will just say:

Look at the moron that got voted in here in this country...

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
I spent two years in Scotland in the early 90's while in the military. They tax the Hell out of those people there. You have to have the usual insurance and vehicle inspection. You also have to purchase a road tax disc every year and they give you a sticker to display as proof you paid. I think it was 100 pounds. That equates to around $200 at that time. I couldn't believe they make you pay a tax just to use the roads. On top of that they tax the sh*t out of gas. I had a 1990 Ford Ranger over there and it cost me $20 for less than a half tank of gas. That's less than 8 gallons. Lucky for us we could buy gas at military gas stations at normal prices. I heard they where going to enact laws that required use of shin guards and other safety gear. Be glad you live in the U.S.A. No offense to anyone on the other side of the pond. Very nice people over there.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
silverbullet- yes we do pay a gas tax already (I have no idea what it is, maybe 50¢/gal?), and the revenue hasn't been growing as fast as the need for new roads. But I'd rather pay by the gallon than pay the same per mile as a hummer.

greatzippy- any new car with that Onstar (or similar) service already has a GPS, and broadcast capabilities too. So downloading isn't even needed. If the government wants to get ahold of that information... And you know they can.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
The whole concept is just freaking SCARY!!! :eek:

btw Hippie: think what you might, but which side of the political fence is usually for b***** govt. and which is for smaller? Hmmmm? Something to think about at the next election. We can't allow this kind of garbage coming here to the U.S.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't forget that 50% of our fuel price is tax to the Government! I think the current average price for fuel is around 88 pence per litre. It costs me about £13 (23 bucks) to fill the tank of my bike. There is also the stealth tax of Speed Cameras - I work in a car dealership and one of our staff received one for doing 60mph in a 50mph limit........ string him up you say - 'til you realise he was on a MOTORWAY! National speed limit is 70mph on motorways and this was approaching a toll where he had to pay £4.80 to cross a poxy bridge! He will most likely be fined £60 and receive 3 points on his licence. The proliferation of these cameras around the UK is disgusting. It means that cops no longer go out on the road and catch drunk drivers/people without insurance and MOT's (special test to show your vehicle is roadworthy). It's all complete shite here for the most part....... A for instance - recently a cop was caught in an unmarked car doing 159mph on a public motorway - he was let off....... makes me a bit angry really

To see how 'interesting' it is getting over here have a look at this website and thank your lucky stars you don't live here!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
crx81- I think you'd better have a look at recent history. The lines have shifted seriously in recent times. Intrusive law and order is now the territory of the conservatives.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
:D
karst said:
crx81- I think you'd better have a look at recent history. The lines have shifted seriously in recent times. Intrusive law and order is now the territory of the conservatives.
Karst... we're probably going to get ourselves in trouble here... :eek:nfloor In light of that, keep in mind I'm just having a friendly chat and not trying to debate or start an argument. We're all still happy FZ owners, see -> :D LOL

You are correct with all the "Homeland Security" stuff. On the other hand though, most big government / big brother stuff does come from the other side. I'm really NOT into big government, and being a conservative I'm not happy with my side adding to what I see as a problem. On the other hand, we have a big problem... It's very difficult for us to be made safe by the government from future terrorist attacks AND retain our freedoms from big brother intrusions. Personally, I'd rather remain free, take my chances, and hope that the government finds and stops the problem.

My biggest point that I was trying to make in my first post is that, come election time, we need to keep this stuff in mind. I really wish that a third (or even fourth and fifth!) party could have a true fighting chance for presidential election. I used to debate this with a friend up in Canada (me defending the differences of the two parties as being sufficient), and now I think HE was right. At the rate we're going, we're quickly going to follow suit with other countries and all be walking around with a big brother monkey on our backs at all times... :mad:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
crx81- yah, it's all friendly. I think we largely agree on this one anyway. I was just saying it's worth looking past the stereotypes. I try to pay attention to issues and think for myself, rather than have a party tell me what to think. I think my taste in bikes shows I don't like categories. :)

[Edit] Not that I think you don't think for yourself! I just think the party leaders on both sides would like more loyal little party-line soldiers.

·
Registered
341 Posts
All i have to say is, WHAT THE FUCK. Maybe i read it wrong, but you're saying that they are going to be taxed 11,000 a month to commute to and from work? Im signing up for welfare if this happens in the states.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
No, $11K is over a 50 week year. But still, it's nuts. They do have an efficient public transportation system (unlike 99% of the States), but it's not a good thing (or even a possible thing) for all people all the time. Last I was in London (about a year ago) people were complaining bitterly about the state of the train system. But it's still better than any system in the States. I think I can say that because I've also used public transportation in NY, Chicago, SF, Seattle, Boston, Portland...

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
The mielage tax is going to force people off the road and into unemployment who are living from pay check to pay check to make ends meet. Then taxes are going to have to be raised to pay for all these people on unemployment. Bunch of nonsense if you ask me.

·
Registered
610 Posts
karst said:
silverbullet- yes we do pay a gas tax already (I have no idea what it is, maybe 50¢/gal?), and the revenue hasn't been growing as fast as the need for new roads. But I'd rather pay by the gallon than pay the same per mile as a hummer.
Ahhh. Our Gov. was cleaver enough to make the taxes a percentage of the ratail cost which has seen the revenue rise quite rapidly over the past 12months due to the spiriling cost of crude. The roads aren't getting any better though. Where does all the money go...?

We also have an annual registration fee which reflects the size of the engine of your vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts