Sport Bikes banner

Engine variations

307 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  WISPER 
#1 ·
What is the best type of cylinder arrangements in a bike. Like the inline 4 and v twin and so on. I am a noob so sorry if this is a stupid questions. But i constantly hear people talk of v twins and inlines and am not to sure what it all means. What are the pros and cons of each. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
YEAH ANOTHER AUSSIE! :beer Damn i bet its cold down there now. It sure is here.

In my (limited) experience:

A 4 will rev harder, burn more fuel, and produce more kilowatts than a twin. The twin produces more torque/ pulling power, will have smoother power delivery, idles, runs better at low revs and cold.

My 250 was an inline4, it was smooth as down low and had a good powerband when going nuts. My bike now is also inline 4. I reckon they are better JMO. When test riding, before upgrading, i rode an 850 twin, newer than mine. It sounded KICK ASS but the inline 4's (600's) were just as smooth down low and a rocketship up top. Some people say that inline 4's are too peaky. While i accept this, my bike rides VERY WELL and smoothly at around 6 grand, cruises effortlessly. Then when i give it a rip through a corner, or overtake, i get a grin factor i couldnt get on the (b*****) twin, the response of the 4 is amazing.....

Gotta love that sound though :phatyo

#3 ·
Hmmm.. This is very generalized but.

Inline Fours: (four cylinders in a row side by side ect. ect) Higher hp, lower torque, You'll have to get them fairly high in the rpms to get their best performance. But once their spun-up you've got all the power you need.
V-twins: (two cylinders in varing degrees, usually mounted one up and one forward) Generaly, Lower peak hp and usually it peaks lower in the rpms. High torque, and again, alot lower (sooner) in the rpms.

Best design?? Its subjective really. I've owned both and i like both, definately ++1 on the sound of a twin :) .

I'm not sure if this answers your question or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.