Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a bunch of bikes over the years with different engine types - v twins, a v4, and lots of inline 4's. There is a back road I take fairly often that is about 20 miles long and very twisty. Lots of corners, lots of elevation changes. A few years ago I was on my Mille R - classic v-twin power, very torquey. I made a point of leaving it in third the whole way. It was a lot of fun, although I had to concentrate on not up shifting coming out of some corners.

Yesterday we took the same road and I was on our Ninja 1000 and I thought "man, this bike feels just as torquey as the Aprilia". So I looked up some charts - this is interesting. Remember, the attraction of v-twin sportbikes used to be that they were so torquey. Now, my Aprilia is a 2001, with the Rotax motor - so I would not be surprised if they make a lot more power and torque now, but still - the comparison is interesting.

We own 5 bikes, and we have some very interesting motors; they are all fun in their own way. Right now we have one vtwin (the Mille), a v4, and three different in line 4's. I am probably more partial to the inline 4's than anything else. I could listen to the cross plane engine on my R1 all day. But for pure accessible power, I don't think anything tops the Ninja.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I have an 08 Tuono, and the engine has good torque but below about 4k it's got nothing, I really have to be sure to downshift if I get down to that area.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I always thought that the entire point of the twin was to have a more broad powerband, rather than the inline 4, which can have similar peak numbers, but a more narrow band.

oh, and the sound of a big twin. that too.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Where's the surprise, OP? Granted they're heavier, but the Hayabusa, ZX-14 and ZX-14R CRUSH any twin in torque and all at around the same RPM as your Ninja 1000, and if those bikes (and their other 'hyperbike' ilk) are too 'fat' then the Bandit 1200 has been putting out stupid torque numbers for years before hand.

As Pred said, they're more known for a broader powerband, their sound and making that torque lower on a lighter bike. (Where as an I-4 typically has to be 485lb+ to make that sort of low end torque.)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
as a side note, has anyone else thought that a desmodromic diesel bike engine would just be the coolest goddamned thing around?

Imagine that sound. . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts