Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Here's a stumper for you all. I was riding to the Fri the 13th festivities and I noticed a sputter at idle after the engne has warmed up. The engine also surges when you give throttle at lower rpm's but when you get up to a higher rpm the engine all of a sudden smooths out and runs normally. It felt like a fouled plug so I checked all the plugs and boots and they're OK. I also checked my airbox and air filter and it's OK. I thought there may have been a defective TPS but I ran the diagnostic on it and the readings are within specs. Could the TPS still be busted somehow? I had the recall done on this last year and wondering if there's a relapse going on here. What else could it be? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mbodell said:
Do you have any aftermarket exhaust? Mine was like this until I got it remapped.
Nope not yet, its running stock exhaust, the only mods i have installed are front flushmounts and fazr6's FE kit.

·
Registered
263 Posts
A partially clogged Fuel injecter or fuel filter maybe? That could explain why it runs better under higher fuel flow conditions. I'd like to know the fix, whatever it is.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
1) What year bike is it?
2) How many miles does it have?
3) What gas do you use, and did you get it from a usual station?

·
Professional Cat Herder
712 Posts
I had a similar issue in the past that was solved by 2 tanks of Redline injector cleaner. I'm sure any fuel injector cleaner will work but this stuff seemed to clean em' out good. After I put it in, the bike ran like total ass for about half a tank before it got better. Bought the stuff at Cycle Gear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its a 2004 with just under 7000k on it and the last tank of fuel i got was from my usual gas station. i run 91 octane, sometimes 94

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Do you know if the TPS recall was done on it?

·
UCLA
57 Posts
duffbeer_66 said:
Hey guys. Here's a stumper for you all. I was riding to the Fri the 13th festivities and I noticed a sputter at idle after the engne has warmed up. The engine also surges when you give throttle at lower rpm's but when you get up to a higher rpm the engine all of a sudden smooths out and runs normally. It felt like a fouled plug so I checked all the plugs and boots and they're OK. I also checked my airbox and air filter and it's OK. I thought there may have been a defective TPS but I ran the diagnostic on it and the readings are within specs. Could the TPS still be busted somehow? I had the recall done on this last year and wondering if there's a relapse going on here. What else could it be? Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
Hey duffbeer_66, i got the SAME exact problem. When i FIRST got my bike, it was running fine (bought an '05 in Oct. with 5 miles on it). It had the problem your bike is having and so i checked the threads and noticed the TPS recall.. Called the nearest dealer and they changed it out. However, i STILL get the same problem.

Currently, it has about 2400 miles on it. Everything is bone stock. The problem is that it dies frequently at idle (idle speed at manufacturer's setting, i believe it's 1350). Also, when at low rpm's (anywhere from 2,000 to 6,000 rpms) it sputters. i can't seem to get a smooth response when i give it gas quicker than normal. If i roll on the throttle slowly, it runs fine. However, if i want to accelerate quickly at low rpm's (how can i not accelerate quickly if i have to start in first gear?), it sputters.

Oil and filter changed at 2,000 miles. Gas grade is 91 i believe. (The middle grade.. sorry I don't remember the exact grade).

·
Dirty Sanchez
1,180 Posts
you guys are running too high octane for the bike, but i'm not sure if that's the cause of your problems. higher octane gas needs more compression than what our motors generate to burn efficiently. try running the lowest grade and see what happens.
apor

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
Missing at low rpms when under moderate throttle sounds like bad plug wires to me. Happened to me on my car once but I'm sure it would be the same on a fuel injected bike. turns out one of my wires was bad and only sending juice to cylinder 2 part of the time. If I floored it I would get misfire, if I accelerated slowly it would not have any issue.

·
Registered
847 Posts
What type of oil are you using - syn or dino? Put the fender back on and see if that fixes it. If not, also try to put the stock signals back on too.

Seriously, sounds like too high of an octane fuel to me.

·
Born Again Rocker
887 Posts
Have you actually used the engine lately or are you just poodling about? Take it for a good thrashing that'll sort the problem, these bikes like to be used.....

·
UCLA
57 Posts
Bass Man said:
Have you actually used the engine lately or are you just poodling about? Take it for a good thrashing that'll sort the problem, these bikes like to be used.....
HAHA, i use it everyday to commute through lovely Los Angeles traffic.. (NOT LOVELY AT ALL) anyways, i commute about 25 miles round trip M-F so it hasn't been sitting.

Oil is dino 20w40 i believe..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah mine is doing the same thing I Tx Aggie was having a similar problem he decided it was plugs wires I am thinking the same thing although I have not had a chance to check mine out. I have an 05 with 20-21k miles. Oh and yes are bikes will run on 87 but the manual calls for 91 and are bikes are high compression 12.1-1 I beleive but we have a pent proof head design I am still on the safe side and run the highest grade 93 here in houston.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Mark_FZ6 said:
Yeah mine is doing the same thing I Tx Aggie was having a similar problem he decided it was plugs wires I am thinking the same thing although I have not had a chance to check mine out. I have an 05 with 20-21k miles. Oh and yes are bikes will run on 87 but the manual calls for 91 and are bikes are high compression 12.1-1 I beleive but we have a pent proof head design I am still on the safe side and run the highest grade 93 here in houston.
Yeah, the manual states 91 RON (Research Octane), Not 91 R+M/2.

91 RON = 87 R+M/2.

Pumps are labeled with R+M/2 in the US. Apparently in a lot of European countries use RON on the pumps.

So, in the US you should be grabbing the nozzle that says 87 R+M/2 if you want to go by the manual.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Jeff d said:
Yeah, the manual states 91 RON (Research Octane), Not 91 R+M/2.

91 RON = 87 R+M/2.

Pumps are labeled with R+M/2 in the US. Apparently in a lot of European countries use RON on the pumps.

So, in the US you should be grabbing the nozzle that says 87 R+M/2 if you want to go by the manual.
Ok then I admit my wrong :bitchslap . Well I still prefer a higher grade then 87.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts