Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am currently in university with a few years left on my mechanical
engineering degree. I joined up with a group called Formula SAE where
we build a formula one style racecar starting with a 600cc bike engine.
I dont actually own a bike I just joined this forum to learn a bit more
about bike engines. I have worked on car engines for some time now
but am relatively new to bikes. I am most likely going to be put in the position to manage the overall engine design and modification.
SO... the question I have for people on this forum is : we currently
have a 06 cbr 600rr engine and are wanting to modifythe crap out it!
WHAT ALL CAN WE DO TO MAKE THIS THINGRUN AS HIGH HORSEPOWER
AS POSSIBLE???

another group member and I sat down and started a list of ideas to
modify the engine but want to make sure we consider EVERYTHING
so please go ahead and list as much as you can. we do have some
restrictions but I can filter out the things we cant do.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Do you go to WWU?

I go there as well. I know a few people in the VRI program. BTW I saw the youtube video of your car and it is sick as hell.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
so please go ahead and list as much as you can. we do have some
restrictions but I can filter out the things we cant do
As i mentioned in your other thread, post the rule book so people know what you have to work with.

do you plan on staying NA or are you going to boost it?

are you going for peak power or drivability?

endurance, endurance, endurance. just finishing all of the events including the endurance event will put you into the top half of the field, sometimes a simple and stout motor is the way to go.

what sort of designs have previous teams from your school made? building from history is usually safer than starting from scratch.

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
Its a very cool competition.

I went to RIT and they are at the top of the game when it comes to Formula SAE. They invented a fuel injection system for their CBR600 engine before any bikes had fuel injection.

THey would practice in the parking lot on campus. I watched that thing for hrs.
From what i heard, Honda was a big recruiter and sponsor of the guys that worked on those teams.

The biggest restriction that i saw was air intake. I think it was restricted to a crazy small 38mm or so. The cars the team where making where just too fast, before restrictions.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts

The biggest restriction that i saw was air intake. I think it was restricted to a crazy small 38mm or so. The cars the team where making where just too fast, before restrictions.
three years ago it was at 20mm.

our engine used a rapid prototyped (SLS IIRC) supersonic nozzle feeding a 1-4 intake manifold (also rapid prototyped) it was one piece but featured internal bell mouths and some other geometry that would have been impossble to make by traditional methods. we also used a stand alone ecu (electromotive tech 3) since all of the stock FI parts were completely useless except for a few sensors. after many nights in the dyno by our engine team the motor made just over 80hp at the countershaft. the motor was never opened up and all internals were stock.

·
Banned
78 Posts
1. Run OPEN = No A/C
2. Port the intakes is cc to match ports. Do not hog out a port or it slows the air.
3. YOu want to blend the intakes to the port.
4. You want to keep the base 4-into-1 combo is less bends to the pipe, or say, the straight out of the exhaust you can make the pipes, the less you slow the speed so as to slow down around a curve.
5. Play with exhaust wrap.
6. Play with the fresh air into exhaust ports temps
7. Play with the cats that keep the heat in and 14.7 out is pull the unspent to the ragged edge of dumping out with the unspent > (good luck!)
8. Set the fuel trim to run 14.5 to 1 fuel to air.
9. Screw everything is to run carbs and a mechanical advance curve or a mag.
10. Run water injection 50/50 H2o/alky.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts