Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:flamed My '99 zx-6r w/ 20K miles has developed this wack new problem this year. It seems when I riding over rough road, or hit bumps, the engine interminttently cuts out. This problem happens regardless of RPM, gear or speed. The engine will die for a split second then jump-start itself inturn, of course, causing a backfire. I have talked to some friends about it. Some seem to think that a faulty side stand switch would be the cause. Temporarily closing the circuit when jarred causing the motor to cut out. Or could the problem be more in depth, for example a timing problem? Again it only happens when the bike is rattled. I have an appointment with the mechanic in a few weeks. But you know how that turns out sometimes. :flamed

·
old member
13,079 Posts
The side stand switch sounds like a plausable explanation. If the bike consistenly does that over the same stretch of road, wire around the side stand switch and see if it fixes it. Or go over the same bumpy spot in neutral with the revs up a little a couple of times, but it may be harder to tell if it happens or not. The wiring could be fine but the side stand could be so loose that the switch is acitivated. You could also check the switch with an ohm meter or continuity light while "rattling" the side stand yourself. It does sound electrical and could also be the wiring to the kill switch on the bar/clip-on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts