Sport Bikes banner

How much would you spend/did you spend

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was curious as to how much you spent or would spend on getting an engagement ring for the misses? My lady was saying 15k or 2 carart is the standard but she comes from a bit of higher class then what I think the average american does. I could see paying up to 10k but even that is pushing it. Maybe i'm just ignorant on this because most of my life i've had to live off military pay but 15k seems awfully high.

So what has everyone spent/willing to spend?

·
Registered
981 Posts
im only 19 so i doubt this will even make an impact. but i dont see the point of paying 1+k for a ring....its a ring. ok, so it shows ur married, so can a twist tie. money isnt suppose to buy happiness, so why spend THAT much on a ring?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
i was engaged before and my ring was 2g's and you know what that was fine by me.. its not the money thats the issue..like burn says rings/money dont buy you happiness.. well you dont wanna buy it outta the quarter machine but ya know..it shouldnt matter WHAT it costs as long as you know she'll like it and it's beautiful its all good its the meaning that counts more than anything :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
what i did is buy the daimond set on a simple white gold setting...then before the wedding i took the ring in and got the daimond set on a platinum tiffany setting w/ matching wedding band...i shopped around for a while and took her around to get an idea of what she wanted but in the end chose one so that it would be a surprise...i came across a smokin deal for on a 1kt / VS(clarity)/G(color) daimond for $7000...and the platinum setting for $800...saved a lot of pennies and collected a lot of cans...i learned one thing though its not the size of the daimond its the quality...but trust me if my old lady ever trys to leave ill take her finger off if i have to...

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
2 will do, but 4 will do more! :lol No, guys really, it dosent matter how much you spend on a ring, just don't be TO cheap.

·
Registered
623 Posts
BS, I would buy her an Onion Ring and set her on the way. Suggestion 15k and 2 carats? Pathetic, how about a better suggestion, leave the door closed on the way out.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Waayyy to much for a ring!! That's outrageous..that could be a downpayment on a house or a some $$ for a nice trip to Europe or something. I think women place waaay too much importance on the ring size etc...it's actually sickening. My ex hubby couldn't afford much but he bought me a nice ring and at $1,600--I loved it!

I am just not the type into carat size and all that...like that means the man loves you more because you have more carats on your hand??? bullshinznet!! In fact I wouldn't want that on my hand as I have petite hands and it was just look gaudy on there!

·
I ♥ ♀
2,764 Posts
Women are not stupid when it comes to jewlery. If your dumb enough (or rich enough) to blow over 5k, then she will be smart enough to accept it. Women are very creative when it comes to money and jewlery. For under 2k she can come up with a really awsome set.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If your girl has any taste whatsoever, she'll value quality over size. I've seen 1/2 carat diamonds that lit up a room, and two carat diamonds that looked like cheap glass.

Go for one of the classic cuts, like round or princess cuts. There's a good reason they're classics. Go for simplicity and elegance, and you'll never worry about the ring looking tacky, dated, or out of style.

Buy from an experienced, reputable jewler who knows what he's doing. Avoid the mall... if you buy from a jewlery store that's slotted between Spencer Gifts and Hot Topic, expect to get a ring that looks like it came from a store slotted between Spencer Gifts and Hot Topic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Most people will say 1 carat, decent quality diamond is the "standard". And as for the rule of thumb of spending two months salary, guess who came up with that? Debeers, the diamond distributing monopoly. Anyway, don't let marketing push you to buy something you can't afford. That being said though, do get something that is higher quality over carat weight. You can always trade it in 10 or 15 years down the road if you can't afford something larger now. Just make sure the setting is good quality though because she will probably want to keep it for the rest of her life.

Check this link out, it is a good place to start researching buying an engagement ring. http://www.bridaltips.com/diamond.htm (Ignore the buying online bit though. Just use those sites to get ballpark prices, but don't buy from them.)

Edit: Gramar...

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Not a dime.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
King Cobra said:
Not a dime.

and is ANY ONE suprised over this answer?? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
RSixxygrl said:
My ex hubby couldn't afford much but he bought me a nice ring and at $1,600--I loved it!
There is no wonder that you're divorced. Not questionable in anyone's mind.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I just figured I would tell you all this my sister's engagment ring is 2K with a bunch of diamond chips all around the ring anyway it cost my brother in law 10g and every time they get into a fight my sister throws it and losses it some where. So after that I would never spend that much on a ring. My fiance's ring was 4g and she lost it on accident so I will not buy anouther.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I paid 3600 for my ex's diamond. She told me upfront she doesn't like huge gawdy diamonds which was cool with me. I went for a quality diamond not size. I remember doing alot of research on diamonds before I bought it. You can easily get ripped off at an other than reputable dealer. Like someone else said, you can always trade it in at a later date, diamonds don't lose value.

·
RLPoloArgyleSweaters,Son!
1,272 Posts
If your so-so you get an onion ring; if you like to play a lot a wheel bearing (they whistle if you spin'em)! I'm not that cheap, but come on! After all it's a chunk or metal with a rock on it! :cool:

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
you polls options are too broad. we got one in the 5-10k bracket. but over 5 but alot less then 10........

1 - 20 of 93 Posts