Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before commenting, know that this video was shot overseas. I don't know if this highway is unrestricted, but this isn't a discussion of "excessive speed". I merely wanted to share what I believe to be an exceptional job on the part of the rider in using all available braking and avoiding a collision.

Insane Motorcycle Emergency Break - YouTube

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
That was pretty close, but it doesn't look like he ever lost control of the situation. Nice job.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just did the conversion from what I could see on the speedo;

That was about 140mph down to 75mph in 3 seconds.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Would have assumed the car would merge to the left and acted accordingly. They always do. I never ride with closing speeds like that. Just asking for trouble.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Yeah, someone who was looking out for their own safety more would have let off way farther back, expecting the car to do exactly that. If you anticipate people trying to kill you, and act accordingly, you have far fewer close calls. That was rather impressive control though.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Very impressive braking. I wonder if the bike had ABS?

Personally, I think I would have swerved left and been past him before he was fully in the lane, rather than brake like that... But, my bike won't do 140, and even if it did, there's no way the stock brakes would stop me that fast, so my options would be limited.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yeah, someone who was looking out for their own safety more would have let off way farther back, expecting the car to do exactly that. If you anticipate people trying to kill you, and act accordingly, you have far fewer close calls. That was rather impressive control though.
I agree.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I started my motocycle career watching a lot of youtube videos, making me think stuff like this happened all the time, so I agree with the above; you have to expect stuff like this and sacrifice a few seconds here and there to slow up and be ready for it when you see the pieces of that puzzle start to fit together.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anything else but a sportbike would have puched a hole 20' through that car.
I have only owned UJM's and sportbikes, but a few years ago Motorcyclist magazine published a list in the back that was a conglomeration of test numbers. A Honda Valkyrie (I guess it was more than a few years ago) had the shortest braking distance. When someone write into them about it, they said that cruisers with decent brakes actually had shorter stopping distances that sportbikes because there was enough weight on the back wheel to make the rear brake effective. I can't say I ever validated it, as I have only ever ridden cruiser for short test rides, but the physics makes some sense.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I have only owned UJM's and sportbikes, but a few years ago Motorcyclist magazine published a list in the back that was a conglomeration of test numbers. A Honda Valkyrie (I guess it was more than a few years ago) had the shortest braking distance. When someone write into them about it, they said that cruisers with decent brakes actually had shorter stopping distances that sportbikes because there was enough weight on the back wheel to make the rear brake effective. I can't say I ever validated it, as I have only ever ridden cruiser for short test rides, but the physics makes some sense.
Here's another article that says something similar... Though, they didn't put any supersports on the braking distance list, so it is somewhat flawed:

The Effect of Motorcycle Type on Braking Distance

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here's another article that says something similar... Though, they didn't put any supersports on the braking distance list, so it is somewhat flawed:

The Effect of Motorcycle Type on Braking Distance
I guess I should also point that I agree that the typical cruiser rider (At least around where I live) would have indeed ended up 20 feet past that car, had the rider been been able to make that speed in the first place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts