Sport Bikes banner

electrical

679 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rayzzr 
#1 ·
hey all,

got a quick question concerning lights dimming. I recently replaced my battery and have had a noticeable, consistent problem with the dash lights, head lights and tail lights dimming when either applying the brake or when the turn signal is on. just wondering if anyone had an idea of what could cause this?

Thanks
James

#5 ·
I have seen this as well in the past with my bike.

Sounds like the battery is not at peak charge.

Did you charge ther battery before you installed it?

I have been told everytime I have bought a new battery to charge it before use.

Last, I keep my bike on a Battery Tender, this lessens the issue you describe considerably.

#6 ·
The stator on our bikes is not that powerful. Obviously the higher the RPMs, the more output. At idle the output is pitiful, and hence you can see a dimming effect in the dash lights. Keeping the battery on a battery tender will help, but it is normal and will not affect the operation of the bike. Just remember that the stator is weak and is there to keep the battery charged - not to run electric toasters and portable DVD players :D

Just an illustration on how weak the charging system is: I rode from Indianapolis to a friend's house and the trip was about 1.5 hours. I had my cell plugged into a 12V cord to recharge it. In my truck, it would have close to a full charge in that amount of time. On the ZZR, it barely charged at all, and we were going freeway speeds.

Leaving your headlights on when you stop will kill the battery very quickly, as will making the mistake of turning the key to Park mode. Don't ask me how I know this :)

#7 ·
hey thanks for the responses, as for this being "normal" i would have to disagree as it didn't do this before...

I suppose its not a big deal, it is just annoying that when i am waiting at a light, my headlights, taillights and dashlights are blinking with the turn signal.

when i bought the new battery it hadn't been filled with acid yet, so the guy filled it in front of me and i charged it for about 2 hrs at 2 amps and the charger said it was fully charged...

thanks for the help...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.