Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thoughts/speculation on what part would have caused this?

Rode bike for 1.5hr trip... After fueling up and leaving the gas station, clicked into 2nd gear and 10 seconds later, all ignition/electrical died.
No sputtering at all, just everything cut off suddenly (like a light switch)

Tried troubleshooting in a parking lot for an hour or so, couldn't even get it to turn over.

Eventually, pulled all non-essential fuses, kept trying to start it and blew 3 ignition fuses (10amp).

Finally the bike finally started (after and hour or so) and I could ride it.

Bike was running perfect up until it died/ cut off...

Maybe a short circuit somewhere in the ignition system?? Or a part in the ignition system overheated then finally cooled down?

Thanks & :wtf !!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
"Eventually, pulled all non-essential fuses, kept trying to start it and blew 3 ignition fuses (10amp). "

Is 10amp the appropriate size?

If so I would be looking at the ignition switch and wiring harness connectors from the switch back. Don't rule out the kill button assy either

I would start at the base of the ignition switch itself though and check for any lose wires, I have seen them come lose of the solder a time or ten.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found the cause of the problem..Was the brown ignition wire, which had a small spot where the insulation had been rubbed away, exposing the wire. The exposed wire was in front of the air filter box, closer to the top of the motor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts