Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my buddy has a 2002 R1 with 32,000 miles on it, the battery was dead and wont charge so we replace the battery. Four days later that died. We checked the alternator by hooking up a voltmeter to the battery and starting the bike. the voltage didnt rise back up to 14 according to service manual, from 12 volts. We chased the power into the rectifier and there was about 40 volts on each phase at idle. We replaced the rectifier and we now have 12 at idle, and when you rev it just hits 13 volts. The battery is dying slower then before, but it still is dying. we tried a different battery charger, and some outcome. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
spike2669 said:
my buddy has a 2002 R1 with 32,000 miles on it, the battery was dead and wont charge so we replace the battery. Four days later that died. We checked the alternator by hooking up a voltmeter to the battery and starting the bike. the voltage didnt rise back up to 14 according to service manual, from 12 volts. We chased the power into the rectifier and there was about 40 volts on each phase at idle. We replaced the rectifier and we now have 12 at idle, and when you rev it just hits 13 volts. The battery is dying slower then before, but it still is dying. we tried a different battery charger, and some outcome. Any Ideas?
Voltage from generator should be about 50-60 volts AC on idle, up to 100 volts on 5000 rpm, Have you checked the wire from generator with ohm-meter? Check all three phases simultaneuosly. Should bee exactly the same voltage. One problem I have, is that the rectifier gets hotter than hell but it works, still.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Voltage from generator should be about 50-60 volts AC on idle, up to 100 volts on 5000 rpm, Have you checked the wire from generator with ohm-meter? Check all three phases simultaneuosly. Should bee exactly the same voltage. One problem I have, is that the rectifier gets hotter than hell but it works, still.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts