Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I developed an electrical issue this weekend and I would like to know what part to buy. I suspect a voltage regulator but it's a non-returnable part so I want to be as sure as possible. Here's the issue:

2001 R6

I was riding, pretty hard, and about 75 miles into my day when my guages, lights, everything cut out. I stopped the bike and it displayed problems like a dead battery. After sitting for a few minutes, I had guages and lights again, but the bike wouldn't start, clicked like a dead battery. We push started it, and it got about another 20 miles or so until it lost power again and sputtered to a stop on the freeway. This time we were able to push start it after sitting for a bit, but it only got me far enough to get off the freeway.

My friend went and bought a battery and brought it to me. The stock battery was showing about 10.5 volts, the new battery showing about 12.7 volts or so (normal). After starting the bike, the voltage didn't change, even at 10k rpms. We checked the other R6 with us (2002) and it went up to about 13.8-14 volts while running and revving (normal). So obviously, I'm getting no charge. After putting the new battery in, I was able to ride home, but I think the battery alone was running the bike.

I'm thinking voltage regulator...anyone have any other ideas or can anyone confirm this?

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just had the same problem recently. It was my regulator that was shot and the wires were fried.

Check over on the R6 board.......alot of them are having this problem.Lots of info on how to diagnose it and fix it, etc. It's Very common.

Goodluck!

·
Registered
444 Posts
What is it with you and electrical problems with your vehicles.. hehe if ya need any help gimme a call..

·
Registered
2 Posts
R6 Electrical Fault

Hello Lads,

Im a new user based in the UK, just been searching the web for info on my recent problem and found this forum. The above electrical fault could have been written by me word for word!! I had exactly the same problem last week.
Just put my bike in for a 8000mile service and an electrical inspection with my local Yamaha main dealer. I just called them and they haven't found anything wrong with it. (I have an 2002 model)
They obviously couldn't be bothered to look in to it then..... I've got more info from this page in 5 mins than a main dealer throughout 1 week!

Please can someone give me info as to how to fix this electical problem? I'll check this forum for replies but if you can also email me? [email protected]

Thanks - Clarky.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up having to replace the voltage regulator, rewired the fried connector to the voltage regultor, and the Stator coil. I'm not sure which went first, the regulator or stator, but one took out the other. I would look at both and see if there's any visual indication of what got fried. Otherwise, spend a couple bucks and replace both, it can't hurt.

Do a search in this sub forum for regulator and stator, you'll see other posts I've made with hints, help, and tips about testing and replacing these parts. If you need more help, let me know.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Damn, someone dug up an old thread here. I was just getting ready to ask you, "Didn't you have this shit happen last year?" :lao

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took my bike out of the main dealer and sent it to a Ducati shop around the corner who has a good electical guy in there (www.tecmoto.co.uk). Left it with them for a couple of days and surprise surprise.... It was the Regulatar that was f-*cked! I purposely didn't tell him what I thought it might be so he can find it himself. It worked.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Just a note to all: I think i may have caused this problem by jetwashing my bike and being too tr***** happy with it. I'm never going to be lazy and jet wash it again, hand wash everytime from now on.

Clarky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts