Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electric car sales are not charging the marketplace. A new study by online automotive research company Edmunds.com suggests the segment may have run out of gas.

Sales of electric drive vehicles are stuck at about 3.6% of all new car sales for 2014, Edmunds senior analyst Jessica Caldwell said.

That's below the 3.7% market share for 2013, and it's not likely to grow any before the end of the year.

And that's during an otherwise robust sales season. Total figures for August were higher than any time in the last decade.

The whole automobile market has grown. We're not seeing electric vehicles as part of that growth.

Automakers sold about 1.6 million vehicles in the U.S. in August, an increase of about 3% from August 2013, according to initial industry estimates released Wednesday.

"The whole automobile market has grown," Caldwell said. "We’re not seeing electric vehicles as part of that growth."

The numbers are surprising, Caldwell said, to automobile forecasters. Five years ago, analysts thought that electric vehicle sales would continue to expand as more manufacturers put more electric vehicles on the road and as the vehicles' cost came down.

That hasn't happened. Electric vehicle sales have slowed while prices have come down and dealers have been offering increasingly better deals on financing and incentives.

"It isn't growing," Caldwell said. "It's stagnant and even slightly down."

Caldwell said stable gas prices have contributed to a slackening in interest in non-gasoline electric hybrid and plug-in vehicles. So have the increasingly good fuel efficiency levels of gas cars generally.

Buyers are looking at the higher average price of electric vehicles, Caldwell said, and deciding that "the math doesn't really work out."

Could strong sales in the fourth quarter reverse the trend?

Not likely, Caldwell said.

"The latter part of the year, as the weather gets colder, there tends to be more SUV and truck sales," Caldwell said. "So I don’t expect to see a run on electric vehicles."
''

Electric vehicle sales are running out of gas - LA Times

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Gas is still 3.89-4.30 (for the cheap shit) where I am and obviously you have a bunch of liberal hippies living in California so there are a shit ton of electric vehicles here. Honestly, with 4 bangers pumping out 35-40 mpg and turbo diesels making it into the NA market also getting 45+, electric cars are more of a gimmick now. Get me an electric, that gets 60-70 mpg, 140 hp/torque, and costs 15-20k and you'll likely see a growing trend.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I don't think I'd buy one. The batteries have a terminal life and to replace them costs a bunch. I'd damn sure never buy a used one, Who wants to buy a old Prius and drop 8 grand to replace the batteries on it a year later??

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Right, nobody is keeping them past their 10 year battery/warranty life, and they probably aren't buying another one when you can get comparable mileage for less dollars.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh darn! (sarcasm)
But to hear the media tell it Tesla and all other electric vehicles are just flying off the lots. Is the media lying?

·
Making Horizons Vertical
1,871 Posts
I've got a 2005 Civic Hybrid with about 185k on it - Got it from my dad 2 years ago for only 2k. I've put about 50k miles on it and usually get about 42-43mpg avg. Only issues I've run into so far, besides a deer hitting it, are with egr valve and other little things, but now it's got this knocking sound that doesn't sound too good.. Not sure what it is yet. Hope its not a rod knock.

I also bought a 2011 prius in January of this year - It only had 36k miles on it and I got it OTD for 17k. Seemed like a decent deal especially because I average 50+ mpg and I get to take the HOV lane.

I bought the prius only because of the age of the civic, the HOV lane, and I just like having a bunch of cars in case something happens.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
You'll hate that Prius when you have to replace the batteries!!

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
They cost too much. I can buy a lot of gas for the 12K to 16K they cost more than a cheap gas only model. I buy the cheapest, fleet models I can find for daily driving. Why eat thousands in depreciation? I bought a new Saturn Ion, base model (st. shift, cloth seats, cheap carpets (didn't even come with floor mats) and all for 12,600 in 2006. Eight years and 240,000 miles later, it still gets 38 MPG on the highway and 30 in town.

The only problem I have had is the ignition seizing up...twice.

I can't afford those 30K to 40K vehicles...something you are going to leave in a parking lot most days so someone can bump, scratch or steal it while you are busting yo ^$$ trying to earn the money to make the payments on it?

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Govt programs dried up. I was interested in the fiat with several programs (local state and fed) but it's not worth it without the big ones.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
if the price of Li-Po batteries is cut in half electric will be the thing to have

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
Tesla is going for it. They are building a battery factory in Nevada with the intention of bringing down the cost of batteries. Electric motors have 100% of their torque at zero rpm. What's not to like if everything else is equal?

It's like anything else. The technology will progress in bumps and twitches.

As far as longevity, I rode in a cab a while ago and asked the cabbie about his car (a Prius). He said it had over 300k miles on it and he hadn't had to do much besides routine maintenance. You have to change the batteries at a huge cost if you don't run the car all the time. Apparently electric cars need the constant battery charge/discharge or the batteries die. That makes sense. Think about the battery in your car or bike. Let it go completely flat a couple times and you have to replace it. Keep it charged up and it will last a very long time.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
letting it go totally flat for long period of time, and then fast charging it is hard on it.
slow charging (read: properly charging) a dead battery has very little effect on it's lifespan.

regardless, if you want to saver the environment and still drive a car, you get a 90s Geo. It's carbon footprint from production is already made, it gets great mileage, and it costs fuck all.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
2 things ruin batteries.

1. sitting. All batteries self-discharge which causes the acid to concentrate and build sulpher crystaline on the lead plates (sulfation).

2. recharging...lead plates swell upon recharge and crumble, eventually shorting out. The more you draw the battery down the worse it is for it.

for AGM/GEL/Li-Po - overcharging (gasing) usually from motorcylists leaving a battery tender on all winter.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Buyers are looking at the higher average price of electric vehicles, Caldwell said, and deciding that "the math doesn't really work out."
There's your answer.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
The Predator;5513450 regardless said:
88 CRX Si. I keep it under 60 and I get 40 mpg. Bought it w/ only a little over 100k miles on it five years ago. It's my fourth CRX.

My NC700X gets me 70 mpg. Gas bill last month was a little over for $100 for a little over 1600 miles of driving. :banana:banana:banana

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
88 CRX Si. I keep it under 60 and I get 40 mpg. Bought it w/ only a little over 100k miles on it five years ago. It's my fourth CRX.

My NC700X gets me 70 mpg. Gas bill last month was a little over for $100 for a little over 1600 miles of driving. :banana:banana:banana
Yeah but having an automatic transmission on an internal combustion motorcycle makes as much sense as gears on a battery powered motorcycle. I love fuel efficiency, but that shit is too weird for me. I'd rather have a 250cc.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The people desiring electric vehicles are crossthreaded with society. If I remember my stastics, less then 3% of buyers buy for transportation. 20% buy for performance, they want to go fast. About 10% buy because their old ride is falling apart. The bulk, the massive center of the bell curve is prestige, or yto say it another way, 'keep up with the Joneses'. My data is old, not having worked the car biz in over 20 years. This URL is more current;
Top 10 Reasons Why Car Buyers Choose a Specific Vehicle Model | J.D. Power

This is for new cars, of course. Buying used is much more complicated. If you know what you are doing you can get a 'deal'. If you don't, you can have a brokeback mountain experience of your very own.

Electrics have their place. That place is in urban environments, where drives are short. Electrics don't work when you live in bumfook Texas and the closest convenience store is 80 miles away. That means at 120mph it takes 45 min. to get there. That is why they sell mostly 24oz. 6 packs. So you buy 2, one to drink on the way back. Electrics don't run 120 miles in 45 min.
They are not marketed very well as far as I can see.
Then there is the reliability issue. The girl a couple of houses down bought one a couple years ago. She now has a jeep wagon to drive around while her 'lectric is in the shop, where it lives.
Anyone with an IQ greater then a pothole realizes that the environmental movement is 70% scam. That cuts a lot of the purpose of an electric out.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
To me electrics seem OK for urban environments, but in most of those areas where an electric would work great, there is a robust public transportation system in place. So if you really want to be green or save money, that's your best bet. The only reason to have a car there would be for long trips out if the city, which isn't doable in an electric. So I don't really see a viable scenario were an electric saves money and energy.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts