Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, someone suggested that I lower my 02 gsx-r 600 1" to make it that much easier to get my feet on the ground. I don't really have an issue now but I'm kinda curious about it. How would that 1" drop effect the handling of the bike?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
GixxerGirlRD said:
Ok, someone suggested that I lower my 02 gsx-r 600 1" to make it that much easier to get my feet on the ground. I don't really have an issue now but I'm kinda curious about it. How would that 1" drop effect the handling of the bike?
Thanks in advance!
Suggestion..........Modify the seat as to lower the inseam height without modifying the suspension. This can be done by shaving the existing seat or having an upholstery shop custom making one for you.

If you lower your rear suspension, it would be best to lower the front as well in a matching increment. For as long as I have ridden m/c's, it is best to find more suitable means of finding a fix to your seat height dilemma.

Hope this helps.

:cheers

·
...What speed limit sign?
244 Posts
I agree with Powerranger. I've lowered my bike 1 1/2'' up front and about 5'' in the rear. Besides the ride quality being a little more road terrain responsive (bumpier), I haven't noticed many differences.

I do get alot of people asking me how much it was lowered though when I go places. =o)

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Lower front and rear the same amount, or it WILL throw the handling off.
When lowered properly, it will handle the same EXCEPT:
less cornering clearance.. you'll scrape a little earlier in your leans
Less ground clearance, only noticable on curbs and big speed bumps
Wont wheelie as easy
suspension has to be set a little stiffer.

I lowered my wifes bike 1" front and rear.. Feels good.. But if the seat can be cut, then do that BEFORE lowering the suspension..

·
Registered
165 Posts
I lowered both my bikes 2 inches, the handling really has not changed. But I have found I can put more throttle to it than in the past and the front wheel stays down. For me this is great for off the line performance, if you stunt it kinda sucks.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
Lower front and rear the same amount, or it WILL throw the handling off.
When lowered properly, it will handle the same EXCEPT:
less cornering clearance.. you'll scrape a little earlier in your leans
Less ground clearance, only noticable on curbs and big speed bumps
Wont wheelie as easy
suspension has to be set a little stiffer.

I lowered my wifes bike 1" front and rear.. Feels good.. But if the seat can be cut, then do that BEFORE lowering the suspension..

It actually goes a bit beyond that stuff, but I'm sure you would have to be riding hard to notice. Lowering it moves your linkage rocker. Very complicated stuff.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

I'll definitely look into getting the seat moded. I think that would assure I have no problems touching ground. I'm a city/highway rider for now, but working my skill/comfort level up so I can take on Poudre Canyon (twisty lil' motha). The handling would be an issue at that time more so then now.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied....you all ROCK!!! :headbang

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
GixxerGirlRD said:
I'll definitely look into getting the seat moded. I think that would assure I have no problems touching ground. I'm a city/highway rider for now, but working my skill/comfort level up so I can take on Poudre Canyon (twisty lil' motha). The handling would be an issue at that time more so then now.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied....you all ROCK!!! :headbang
Where in colorado are you?

·
sikk cylinders
1,014 Posts
The biggest thing that affects the handling of a bike is the rider. If the bike is setup to suit the rider, the rider will go faster and corner better. For some it may be to raise the bike, for others it may be to lower the bike. In theory, lowering might be a bad thing. In reality, if it raises your comfort level and feel of the bike, it's a great thing! The Gix is simple and cheap to lower. Try it and see if you like it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
powerranger said:
Unless you do a lot of "spirited canyon riding" it will not make a difference
Depends on how much the machine is lowered. Moreover, when the machine is lowered it effectively increases the wheelbase whether you realize it or not.

It does not require "spirited canyon riding" to affect the overall length of travel when riding. Try riding over speed bumps, riding through dips or traversing rough road surface conditions to name a few.

The majority of my racing experience is through motorcycle drag racing. Recently, I returned the suspension and geometry of the 6 to near OEM. The current settings are merely millimeters off.

Just be careful.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If not done right it will affect the load that is distriuted to the front wheel, more will be placed on the back which isnt good when trying to turn. but like stated above you will really only notice with aggresive riding. Whats worse though, falling over cause youre tippy toeing or not being able to go 120mph around a city corner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just unlowered my CBR , the previous owner 4 in the rear , 3 in the front . Im a big guy and I could just bounce the suspension and scrape on flat road . I agree with FLboi that It makes you get looks , I was just ready to ride the curves . They leveled my bike level , which is great for drag racing , but ruins the curve riding , it pushes hard and is quick to scrape and getting the rear tire loose, not fun at all . The wife wants it lowered again when this bike becomes hers , said it makes it tough and mean.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the idea here is the change will really only come into play if I ride aggressive. Except for ground clearance, which by the way, is a major issue where I live. I would prefer an all around fix. I mean instead of lowering now and getting comfortable with that setup. Then starting to ride aggressive and realizing I need to raise it back.

We got the seat off and I had no trouble at all touching ground (heel-toe). There was even room to spare. So it looks like the seat mod will work out, plus the guy suggested new boots with a higher heel. If needed I guess.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
GixxerGirlRD said:
So the idea here is the change will really only come into play if I ride aggressive. Except for ground clearance, which by the way, is a major issue where I live. I would prefer an all around fix. I mean instead of lowering now and getting comfortable with that setup. Then starting to ride aggressive and realizing I need to raise it back.

We got the seat off and I had no trouble at all touching ground (heel-toe). There was even room to spare. So it looks like the seat mod will work out, plus the guy suggested new boots with a higher heel. If needed I guess.
The seat IS the easiest, most cost effective mod in the long run for inseam challenged riders. Hope it all works well for you GixxerGirlRD.

P.S.
:needpics

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
agreed, don't lower the bike if at all possible.......it does affect the handling whether you wanna admit it or not......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts