Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Educate me on the KTM 450 plz

I know this is a sportbikes site but don’t feel like finding and registering at some thumper site.

I’m looking to buy a dirt bike so I can hit the trails around Vegas and broaden my riding experience. I had a friend tell me the KTM 450 was pretty much the best overall bike on the market right now. The new ones are $9,000 so that’s out but there seems to be good deals on uses one. There is an 05 KTM 450SX for 3K and a 04 EXC for about the same.

Are the older models still good bikes? Is there other brands I should be looking at? Just any general info I can get would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Well, do you want it to be street legal? The KTMs are basically the only bikes out there that are a true dirt bike with lights and signals. Great bikes, but kind of expensive. For dual sport, your other options would be the suzuki DRZ400S or yamaha WR250X. And, seeing as how you are in the desert, the Honda XR might be an option if you are tall.

I guess my real question for you is, what exactly do you want to do with it and do you want it to be street legal?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
450 is a buttload of bike for trail riding.
Really? I rode my friend’s Honda 650 a few times and it felt pretty tame so I was assuming the 450 would feel similar. I’m also sure once I have the bike I’ll also hit Dumont dunes and places like that.

I definitely want four stoke, street legal (so I can get it trails easier) and light weight, O yea and plenty of power, I mean who doesn’t want lots of power!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Depending on the trails... yes, a 450 is a handfull. I ride a 426 in the trails, but I ride super tight, enduro type trails... and it's a lot of bike, I was faster on my rm125.

If you're doing desert riding where everything's wide open (which it sounds like you might be) a 450 would be a decent choice.

That XR650 is a whale, horrible trail bike, but decent desert bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
duuuuude I know it seems like a pain but go to thumpertalk.com (takes 2 minutes to sign up) and go to the forum they made just for you. Click general forum once loaded there is a link for the subforum it says what bike should I buy. There are almost 200,000 members and its a cool site they will help you out, My main concern for you would be that all the newer for strokes are very heavy on valve maintenance. If you bend a valve and it kisses your piston or if it skips a tooth in timing and your bike "detonates" ( thats what ppl are calling it on the new thumpers), you will be paying an extremely high bill for a new top and possibly bottom end. You dont want to go there and to be honest if your riding street with it and its geared for trails youre gonna be sustaining high rpms for long periods of time andthats far from what its built for. Not saying you couldn't make it work but DO YOUR RESEARCH. $2K for a new top and partial bottom end after $9k on the bike and u will wish you looked a little harder into it. my 2 cents- stefen

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Thumpertalk will point you in the right direction.

I've heard complaints that they aren't the most reliable engines when they're ridden hard (ask Jake, the moderater of the SBN MX forum, I believe he's had some pretty good issues with his), but the bike is otherwise solid. I love the general fit and finish of the KTM's as well.

A 450 is no problem in the woods. My race 250f, while not tuned for low end, leaves quite a bit to be desired through my woods. Hell, if you get it and really dislike the power that much toss some flywheel weight on there and call it a day.

·
Shut the **** up and ride
5,031 Posts
my brother is actually looking at dual sport/motards for a nimble city bike, as he lives in NYC.

theres not too much out there, but the nice (and powerful) ones are rather expensive. Aprilia makes the SXV 450 (and 550? i think), Husqvarna makes quite a few (450, 550, and 610).

You could always buy a dirtbike and make it street legal, though im not sure if your state allows it or how much work it would take to do that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts