Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the fact that stolen bikes are blatantly parted and sold on ebay bother any one else? If this was happening in the "real" world, the Po would have some kind of jurisdiction, but ebay puts everything and everyone behind a curtain. Just kinda irritates me when I see EVERY part of a motorcycle in mint condition for sale except for the motor and frame.... :ar

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Well, in ebay's defense, they can't exactly investigate auctions to make sure they parts are legit. I mean they do what they can I'm sure, because I'll bet ALOT of stolen stuff goes through ebay, but I dunno.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess they have their hands full with all of the $3000 Hayabusas owned by people living out of the country.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Its not fair in anyway at all. This is true. However, we all know that with bikes, its very hard to identify what is stolen and what isnt without the frame. The frame has the only true mark to tell us who the bike belongs to and the status that its in, ie: stolen, clean, salvage, missing, etc.
It seems to me that jurisdicition has little to do with it since if I were to have a garage sale outside of my house with all the stolen parts to a bike except for the frame and the police stopped by, what could they do? They have no proof that I stole it without the frame. So I dont think that with it being in cyber space or not changes the overall ordeal of the matter. just my .02

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
wow, i didn't even know the vin was on the engine on most bikes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
mgranzow said:
I don't know of any manufacturers that put the VIN on the engine but they all have a serial# and the manufacturer probably keeps record of them as to what frame they are mated to.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I hate to say it, but I've probably bought ALOT of stuff on ebay that was less than legit, especially OEM motorcycle parts. I've gotten some great deals and saved alot of cash due to someone elses misfortune, I feel great that I got such good deals, but I do feel bad that some of those parts have come from theft victims.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
mgranzow said:

Technically the VIN isn't on an engine it's an EIN Engine Identification Number. When my ZX12R was stolen I made sure our records division had the EIN entered into NCIC as well as vehicle part. If either the VIN OR EIN gets queried in NCIC it will come back as a stolen vehicle or vehicle part.

And yes lots and lots of late model sportbike plastic sets being sold on Ebay. It seems like most or a lot of it is coming out of New York. At one time lots of stuff was being sold on Dragbike.com as well from New York.

I would imagine NYPD has better things to do than try and break up bike theft rings..

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Well It does not stop me from buying off ebay but I never find very new stuff anyway. But I have got stuff that was stolen I am sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Alot of stuff oon ebay is stolen.Is it right? but if I'm looking for something and its cheaper on ebay I don't question whether or not it is.If that were the case I 'd spend the high dollar at the dealer

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hmm, my experience for the most part has been non-stolen parts. My major parts sources are salvage yards (I deal with one extensively out of Maine) and the rest have been individuals selling a bit here or there. Some of it might be stolen but who knows. There isn't exactly a demand for an FZR600 thermostat assembly with the hoses attached. :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
how do you know for sure that all these parts are stolen?

we sell slightly used OEM parts on ebay all the time which came from race bikes that were stripped down.

a lot of people crash too and that puts tons of parts out there, i just don't think there is THAT many stolen parts.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I do honestly, people who carelessly leave their jacket lying around.....thats just another Ebay item. You can get all that stuff for cheap because the thief might not know the value, they just know they can bank a few free dollars.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chesus said:
how do you know for sure that all these parts are stolen?

we sell slightly used OEM parts on ebay all the time which came from race bikes that were stripped down.

a lot of people crash too and that puts tons of parts out there, i just don't think there is THAT many stolen parts.
I'm left to my devices when EVERY part (as in handle bars, forks, wheels, electrical) is in mint condition and for sale.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yea... I was checking out ebay last night and found just about every nut, bolt and piece of plastic possible for one bike for sale... everything except something with a serial or VIN.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I work with (not for) a police dept. so therefore I receive bulletins via email about crimes being committed in my area and I've seen a few dealing with stolen items being sold on ebay...(not bikes) one instance they knew everything the guy had stolen due to his sold item history.. so I wouldn't say the police don't care... you never know whom you're selling your stolen goods too..and who is keeping track of it....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts