Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a poor sad college student and I have no idea how to cook/make anything. Ever since summer school started three weeks ago I've been eating out every day, two meals a day. It's a waste of money (my parent's money). I want to try to eat healthy too... u know vege's, fruits, good vitamin. I don't wanna eat TV dinners and cup ramen all day lol. :mad:

Anyone have any simple and good tasting recipe's for a complete noob chef to construct? thanks!! :)

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Sorry, didn't read the post all the way before responding.

The chicken idea is good. You can also get some chicken, large ziplock and some cheap marinade, let is sit over night and cook it next day. If you have the extra money get a COSTCO/SAMS membership...save ya some money over the long run

·
Registered
554 Posts
Bag of chicken breast + seasoning+ Foreman Grill = yummy
Put it in a salad......put it in your noodles....

·
SBN SuperMod
1,394 Posts
kv2 said:
cup ramen
Cup ramen?!?!?!?! Man... what a waste - you've gotta be a rich student to buy that! Just score ramen in bulk, buy some spices, then you have a meal!

Man, I miss those days...

:twofinger

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Go to the bookstore and buy a basic idiot's cookbook. There are hundreds of them that are just your (and my) speed. If you can read and are motivated you can cook.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Buy lots of fresh cut sandwich meats like turkey and ham (from your local deli at Food Lion, Farm Fresh, Kroger etc by the pound). get lettuce, different cheeses, dill pickles, oil and vinegar dressing, pepper, and sub rolls. For something to go along with your sandwiches buy Progresso canned soups, and fresh fruit. I'm not exactly sure how but if you could find out how to make good spicy chili that would be something easy to fix too I'm sure. Mashed potatoes with sour cream +butter w/garlic salt is also something easy. You can buy all of these things in bulk to save money, they are all healthy, you can fix em whenever you want without thinking too much, and you can customize however you like. Nothing beats that.
Also, if you like Italian or Mexican food you can usually fix easy meals like spaghetti, stuffed cheese/meat pasta shells, tacos, nachos.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Call your mom and ask her......she did cook when you lived at home, right?

·
Registered
519 Posts
sorry but i have lived off ramen before, so has jester600 its delicious that and easy mac

·
Registered
813 Posts
To me, an "easy" meal is something that doesn't take much prep time and which only requires 1 pot or pan to make..

So.. with that in mind..

1) Mac and Cheese with chopped hot dogs
2) Ramen with chopped spam and 1 egg
3) Spagetti (cook noodles, drain, add sauce)
4) Hamburger Helper
5) salad with 1/2 pound of krab salad from the deli
6) and my favotire... look at the picture - just add sausage!

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mac and Cheese with Hot Dogs!!! Hell Yeah that's good eats!!!!
Also the Ramen with an egg is good too... (dunno about the Spam in there though.. never tried that)

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
hamburgers,hotdogs,poasta is very cheap,ramen noodles,find a farmers market and the fruits and vegies will be very cheap. mac & cheese,tuna fish sandwich,budget cuszines they a $1 a piece, just shop around use cupons

·
Registered
346 Posts
03silvers said:
sorry but i have lived off ramen before, so has jester600 its delicious that and easy mac
oh hell yeah. i wouldnt be where i am today without ramen. easy mac can :blowme . so sick of it. but seriously buy some frozen chicken and beef in bulk,grill it, buy some seasoning and bbq sauce, cook some noodles, put some butter on top and you got yo self a meal. this is what i did when i was actually had money (thank you toys r us). cambells soup is also cheap. ive actually been forced to eat pickle and tostitos sandwiches cause i was so broke. mmm, pickles...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Invest in a "crock-pot". You can get a big one (6 quart) at walmart for $20-$25. You can make all kinds of good food with them. You start it in the morning, go to school or work, come home and it's done and ready to eat. Get a cookbook with crock-pot meals and your good to go. I just made, for my first time potatoes and meatloaf in it. It was great. :)

·
Swollen Member
745 Posts
1. Canned soup (ready to eat or "just add water")
2. Box Mac&Cheese with a drained can of tuna
3. Sandwiches (Tuna, or individual package meat w/ presliced, indiv wrapped cheese)
4. Fresh fruit / Vegetables (Your choice)

I don't cook, I assemble and / or HEAT.

With practice, you can make "soup and sand" in 3 minutes or less. Try heating soup in a glass bowl in the microwave vs a stove. Get it started, and then get your sandwich and veggies ready.

With practice, you can even schedule shopping every week, as most of these keep well for a period of time. I have no patience for shopping or cooking. And no girlfriend.

D

·
Banned
730 Posts
Tacos, spaghetti, anything you can grill out w/ a side of veggies. If you buy meats and chicken in larger quantities it gets pretty cheap and just repackage it when you get home so you just pull out enough for one meal when it's time to unthaw. Just remember in the morning to get things out of the freezer for that nights meal.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Good Eats

- Jambalaya is an awsome meal, you can use browned ground beef, chopped chicken, and don't forget shrimp too!
- Spagetti is real easy with a pre-fab sauce like Prego, or Ragu.
- Rice A Roni (sp) Fried Rice with browned Beef Tips is a good one too.
- You can take aluminum foil and make a tub out of it; makes for no clean up. Put a piece of chicken in and drown it in BBQ sauce. Stick in the oven on 375 for 20 min. A can of baked beans goes well with this. If not into BBQ try McCormics Raosted Garlic Chicken seasoning.
- You can do steak in the oven in the aluminum foil tub too. I'm partial to McKormics Grill Mates seasonings. Spicy Montreal Steak are my favoritres in this brand. Marrinating in Dale's marinade, salty but damn good!
- Take a ziplock baggie, put 2 eggs, diced green peppers, diced onion, and bacon bits in. Smash it all together to mix it up. Place in boiling water, and you have a no mess, no cleanup western omlet.

I'm a grill freak, but in college I couldn't have a grill in my apt. and had to come up with other ways. The AL foil tub worked great to keep the pans clean and allow the meat to cook in the sauce. Never found a good way to do hotdogs, but burgers, steaks, and chicken can all be done in the oven with good results. ENJOY!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmmm... some of these are beyond my level of cooking.. LOL :a2
but i've got to try some of these... on the weekends im gonna go to the market (since I've got no costco membership) and find some stuffs for me to cook up.. time to experiment in the kitchen as well.. HAR HAR.

thanks guys... hopefully the kitchen wont blow up.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Ramen noodles own! I know alot of people that live of that stuff in college. Easy mac is good to. And almost anything in a can that you can microwave. If you got a Foreman grill then that opens the door to a whole bunch of new possibilities. Not to mention you can cook grilled cheeses all the time and they are cheap to make :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts