Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I have been using these for over 4 years and swearby them. They are moldable, comfortable, good sound protection, and disposable as well.

Highest Blocking Moldable Ear Plugs

I had custom earplugs made before i got these i paid through they ass for them, only for them to hurt my ears and not even do as good a job as these. Protect your hearing and get these.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
disposable foam plugs are cheap and most protect the same, -20dB. just go buy a ew different sets and see what you prefer. i personally like the reusable silicone type, just because they are a little quicker to put in and take out, but they do not seem to protect as well.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Anything's worth trying. I usually keep Hearos around for all sorts of things (shooting, sleeping when there's storms, when I'm bothered by our cat's snoring (seriously))...

If you wear foamies...make sure to wear them _properly_.

Note that the screen shown on the above link is of an earplug NOT properly inserted - it's not in far enough!

·
Registered
507 Posts
The best earplugs are the ones you have! I always buy the cheapest ones I can get that have >30db of protection. If I ever get helmet speakers, I might switch to Hear-Os to maintain the sound quality of my music.

- John

·
Registered
357 Posts
I always use earplugs on a motorcycle; the deafening wind noise and exhaust is more fatiguing than most people realize, not to mention gradual hearing loss. The conical foam earplugs need to be inserted into the ear canal, not just the outer part of the ear, to work properly. I use a little lotion in the ears so they go in easier. Best to clean out the ears with a drug-store ear cleaning kit every 3 months to prevent ear wax from being shoved back in.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I started using ear plugs a month or so back and haven't looked back. I don't think highway speeds are as damaging to your ears as most believe, depending on the helmet. That being said, FREEway speeds are something different, and even if it wasn't for the hearing damage, the difference in comfort is indescribable. You just don't realize how annoying that wind is until you get some ear plugs in... I can ride three times as long without wanting to stop.

I think buying super special awesome earplugs is pretty useless. If they fit better, that is one thing, but it isn't like the road is THAT loud that you need air traffic control-level hearing protection. Just keep the wind out and you're fine.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I've always hated the squishy foam ear plugs for a few reasons, mainly that they never seemed to fit right or stay put. I wear the little rubber christmas tree shaped ones all the time when working in the shop or at the track. For daily use I recently got a set of the custom molded ear plugs with built in headphones which are the best. You can also get them without the speakers for around $40

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I just grab some of the howard leight max plugs we have at work. the only downside is they are only good for one ride and about 5 re rolls before they don't expand anymore.

but they do have a NRR of 33. any earplugs that don't list this you should avoid. cough cough, the molded earplugs in post #2. they have not passed or been submitted to the EPA NRR testing to prove anything.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I try not to get any more than -29db plugs or they block too much sound. i like the 50 or 100pk of macks (green ones) from amazon for around $9.00

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
Personally I prefer 3M Peltor Skull Screws earplugs. Push and twist them in and they seal tight and stay in place. They are comfortable and they don't dislodge when I pull my helmet on.
I wear them at work and for riding.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I've been using these for years:

moldex

They're all-day comfortable and have good ratings and they're cheap. I usually get a box of 200 from a local industrial supply store.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I tried all the disposables I could find. None fit well enough to block much sound. Once I got these and looked at the shape of my ear canals, I knew why. All day comfy and about -35db reduction. No wind noise, but I can still hear what needs to be heard.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
now if I only I could see what you posted ray.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
now if I only I could see what you posted ray.
Can't see the pic? Not sure why.
Those are different looking
Custom molded from an audiologist. Brightest color they offer so easy to find if dropped even at night. Had the same pair since 2005. Just wash them off after each use and they still fit great.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I use the Xtreme Protection Series blue Hearos. They have an NRR of 33. 7 pairs and a little case for less than $5. I might try the Hearos Skull Screws next as they don't have quite as high of an NRR so I can hear my surroundings a bit better.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I use the Xtreme Protection Series blue Hearos. They have an NRR of 33. 7 pairs and a little case for less than $5. I might try the Hearos Skull Screws next as they don't have quite as high of an NRR so I can hear my surroundings a bit better.
I got 42 pairs for $11 from Amazon. ;)

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts