Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
runnin dis bish
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at picking up a fullsize 4 door (club/crew whatever is the full doors) and hoping to pay cash so thoughts on the big three from the early 2000's?

It looks like the f150 was redesigned in 2001?
Chevy's are pretty much the same from 1999-2009?
Dodge didnt have 4 door until I think 2002?

Good, bad, whatever anything to say?

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
I was in a similar predicament in late 2010/early 2011. I think I had a thread on here. I was trying to decide between a 2004 GMC Sierra, a 2004 Nissan Titan, and a 2003 Toyota Tundra. I bought the Tundra and have no regrets.

My choices were all extra cabs, not crews, but Toyota also make a crew cab in 2004 on I believe.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Ford wasn't redesigned until 2004. The 04+ ones are nice. The 97-03 ones pale by comparison.

The chevy was the same from 99.5- whenever.

Dodge- in my opinion there's just no good reason to buy one. They don't hold up like the other two brands.

Also, the 99-07 tundra is a GREAT fucking truck. Since you want 4 doors anyways, then the bed options are pretty much the same. It was tough to get them will a full-size bed, but if you're not looking for that, then whatever.

Personally, I prefer the 99+ Ford F250 super duty. It's roomier, they hold up incredibly well, they are dirt cheap, and just generally nice trucks. Not too great on fuel economy, though- you have to get at least the 5.4L v8.

·
runnin dis bish
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Toyota's and Nissans seem to be too new to fall into the price range I want to be in.. <$10k for sure, and closer to $5k is even better.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yea for a 4 door tundra expect 12-20k depending on seller and condition. I had a 06 chevy that never gave me a problem.

Sent from my brain using MO free.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
99 - 02 I believe Chevy had different body then in 03 went to the cat's eye look. Powertrains were all pretty much the same. Have an '02 Avalanche. Love it but it's built on the Suburban frame not the pickup one.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Looking at picking up a fullsize 4 door (club/crew whatever is the full doors) and hoping to pay cash so thoughts on the big three from the early 2000's?

It looks like the f150 was redesigned in 2001?
Chevy's are pretty much the same from 1999-2009?
Dodge didnt have 4 door until I think 2002?

Good, bad, whatever anything to say?
watch out for the ford tritan motor. the spark plugs break off in the head. such a common problem tool companies make tools specifically for removing ford spark plugs.

chevy had a few design changes since 99. major change in 2003 or so.

·
Registered
673 Posts
In my opinion,stay away from the Triton motors in the Fords. They have a tendency to shoot spark plugs out of the heads while you're driving down the road. And it cost over $800 to have the spark plugs changed in my step-dad's 5.4L.

Dodge technically had 4 doors starting in 98 but they were the smaller suicide style doors. It didn't get rear doors that opened independently from the front until the redesign in 2002 on the 1500s. 2003 is when the larger 2500s and 3500s were redesigned.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
watch out for the ford tritan motor. the spark plugs break off in the head. such a common problem tool companies make tools specifically for removing ford spark plugs.

chevy had a few design changes since 99. major change in 2003 or so.
In my opinion,stay away from the Triton motors in the Fords. They have a tendency to shoot spark plugs out of the heads while you're driving down the road. And it cost over $800 to have the spark plugs changed in my step-dad's 5.4L.

The Ford Triton engine problems with the spark plugs popping out was only 97-02. In 2003 they redesigned the head to prevent any of that happening. And like I said- the 2004+ F150 is a much better truck. If you're looking to get a 1/2 ton, get one of those with the 4.6 3 valve or 4 valve motors. But even then, it was a pretty rare thing to have the plugs blow out.

Spark plugs breaking off in the head happens to ANY motor with aluminum heads. People don't put anti-seize on them and try to remove them when the engine is not fully cold, and they'll break. There's no way of getting around that.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The Ford Triton engine problems with the spark plugs popping out was only 97-02. In 2003 they redesigned the head to prevent any of that happening. And like I said- the 2004+ F150 is a much better truck. If you're looking to get a 1/2 ton, get one of those with the 4.6 3 valve or 4 valve motors. But even then, it was a pretty rare thing to have the plugs blow out.
The 4.6 is a gutless wonder.

Spark plugs breaking off in the head happens to ANY motor with aluminum heads. People don't put anti-seize on them and try to remove them when the engine is not fully cold, and they'll break. There's no way of getting around that.

Sure. It just happens a whole lot more on the Ford engines than on any other aluminum headed engine. How many LS series engines do you hear about having spark plug problems? How many tools do they make specific to the LS engine just to get the spark plugs out? Or the Dodge Hemi?

Ford had a design problem that they swept under the rug and stiffed their customers on it. Don't believe me? Just do a simple internet search on each of the respective Manufacturers' engine families. The Ford problems far outnumber the other manufacturers. The common "installation error" argument is BS.

·
runnin dis bish
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the Ford's spark plug change interval?

I currently have a Jeep with the 5.7 Hemi and its 30k (coppers x 16) so it is going to be hard to step down to a smaller engine for sure..

·
Registered
649 Posts
Chevy is the same 99-06 except for minor things. It wasn't up until 07' that their trucks got a real redesign.

Dodge had problems in the early 2000's with automatic transmissions. They also tend to get the worst mileage of the 3.

Ford is a good truck for the working man, not so hot otherwise. Pulls and hauls things nice, rides like shit without a load.

IMO go with a Chevy if you are just looking for a truck to haul the bike/a friends couch every once in awhile. Not the best towing specs of the three, but, by far, better gas mileage than the others.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Oh and the 5.3L Vortec will be plenty of power. No need for the 5.7L, unless you love gas stations.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
My neighbor is an executive with Volvo Rents, the heavy equipment rental arm of the Swedish manufacturer. He has had a 2012 Dodge, GMC, and Ford company truck so far this year. I asked him about it and he said the Dodge was the most powerful, but felt cheap and flimsy. The Ford was nice, but incredibly bland and rode like shit. He said if he had to buy one with his own money, it'd be the GMC hands down.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
The 4.6 is a gutless wonder.

Sure. It just happens a whole lot more on the Ford engines than on any other aluminum headed engine. How many LS series engines do you hear about having spark plug problems? How many tools do they make specific to the LS engine just to get the spark plugs out? Or the Dodge Hemi?

Ford had a design problem that they swept under the rug and stiffed their customers on it. Don't believe me? Just do a simple internet search on each of the respective Manufacturers' engine families. The Ford problems far outnumber the other manufacturers. The common "installation error" argument is BS.
The 3v 4.6 is a good motor for a truck, and good on gas. Any of the standard engines in trucks are pretty gutless, IMO.

And I've been a ford guy forever, I'll admit... but I've worked on dozens of the triton motors and never even came CLOSE to having issues with the spark plugs. The whole thing, in my opinion, got pretty blown out of proportion.

Chevy is the same 99-06 except for minor things. It wasn't up until 07' that their trucks got a real redesign.

Dodge had problems in the early 2000's with automatic transmissions. They also tend to get the worst mileage of the 3.

Ford is a good truck for the working man, not so hot otherwise. Pulls and hauls things nice, rides like shit without a load.

IMO go with a Chevy if you are just looking for a truck to haul the bike/a friends couch every once in awhile. Not the best towing specs of the three, but, by far, better gas mileage than the others.
I'd say that's a pretty accurate comparison. The fords ride rough, but a set of bilstein shocks on them does AMAZING things for the ride quality. It's only like 350 bucks for a set of 4, too.

Oh and the 5.3L Vortec will be plenty of power. No need for the 5.7L, unless you love gas stations.
They didn't make the 5.7 in the 99-06 bodystyle. They started with the 6.0 as an option in 2006. But honestly, the 4.8L V8 feels almost the same as the 5.3 and gets much better mileage. With the right rear end, it's just as good for a daily driver.

My neighbor is an executive with Volvo Rents, the heavy equipment rental arm of the Swedish manufacturer. He has had a 2012 Dodge, GMC, and Ford company truck so far this year. I asked him about it and he said the Dodge was the most powerful, but felt cheap and flimsy. The Ford was nice, but incredibly bland and rode like shit. He said if he had to buy one with his own money, it'd be the GMC hands down.
Again, pretty accurate comparison. I prefer Ford, but I only use my truck for truck-like things, not for driving every day. The guys I know that drive a truck as their only vehicle all drive chevys, and honestly they are probably nicer for that. But once you get above 1/2 ton, the Fords are a MUCH sturdier truck than the others. I see about 20 times more F250's than 2500 chevys and dodges. There's a good reason why, too.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts

no. in 03 the body, motors and interior changed. don't know where you guys are getting the 99-06 are the same. we had a few at work and no, they were 100% different than the 97's and the 99 we had. which was different than the 99.

here's a 99.
1999 chevy truck - Bing Images

2002 (same as the 99)
2002 chevy truck - Bing Images

here's the 03, (they went to the fly by wire throttle and everything)

2003 chevy truck - Bing Images

·
Registered
649 Posts
no. in 03 the body, motors and interior changed. don't know where you guys are getting the 99-06 are the same. we had a few at work and no, they were 100% different than the 97's and the 99 we had. which was different than the 99.

here's a 99.
1999 chevy truck - Bing Images

2002 (same as the 99)
2002 chevy truck - Bing Images

here's the 03, (they went to the fly by wire throttle and everything)

2003 chevy truck - Bing Images
I meant from the outside. I know that in 6 years things are going to change in other areas. But honestly Chevy trucks didn't look much different till the latter part of 07'. There were actually 07's made in the old body style, which is why one must be careful when you google images of trucks.

·
Registered
649 Posts
They didn't make the 5.7 in the 99-06 bodystyle. They started with the 6.0 as an option in 2006. But honestly, the 4.8L V8 feels almost the same as the 5.3 and gets much better mileage. With the right rear end, it's just as good for a daily driver.

They did in 3/4 ton trucks with the 4L80-E tranny and they were bullet-proof like drivetrains, especially with that tranny as it is essentialy an evolved Turbo 400.

The 5.7L was put into 1/2 ton chevy trucks from 96'-99' and has since been replace by the 6.0L motor which guzzles gas...

Many people still desire the 5.7L truck as a work truck as the chevy 350 is such a bullet-proof motor.

·
Registered
649 Posts
BTW the Chevy 4.8L motor puts out between 270-300hp (more than the 5.7L) all while getting better gas mileage. I'd get a truck with that in it if I was going to be casually using my truck for light-medium duty activities.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts