Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave them a fair chance, I'm not using them again.

First time it was not my choice, I needed a new rear tire in Lafayette, LA and the shop that installed the tire used Dyna Beads instead of balancing the tire. It was not like I had many options on a Saturday to get the tire installed, so I went with it. At first they seemed to work, but over time I noticed that sometimes the bike would vibrate, sometimes it wouldn't. I found out why when I replaced that rear tire, the lazy ass mechanic had just tossed a bad with beads in the tire, about half of them were still inside the bag, so depending on the position of the bag the tire would balance or not...

At first when I removed the tire I thought of just tossing them to the bin, but when I noticed the bag I knew I couldn't just blame the Dyna Beads, so I saved them.

Then I put a new front tire. According to their chart it only needs 1oz:

Tire Balancing Charts for Light Truck, Commercial and Motorcycles

I had more than 1oz of the stuff, so I used them on the front. They work "fine" at lower speeds, but over 75 it vibrates, closer to 100mph and it vibrates wildly, at 100mph I had blurred vision and the vibration was so bad I could see the front wheel jumping. I know my Versys can do 120mph but I never tried that. Heck, I used to cruise at 90-100mph, but with the Dyna Beads that was simply out of the question.

I had to take them out, and this time, I did toss them into the bin.

Guess what? It took exactly 1 oz, 4 x 1/4oz, of wheel weights to balance the tire properly, and now the bike is back to being smooth as silk at 100mph.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Didn't anyone tell you you're not supposed to go 100mph?

:poke

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I've considered using them, or at least airsoft pellets, to balance out the 35's on my Jeep. Different situation, I know, but I can't imagine how many lead weights would be required, if it can be done at all.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have dozens of customers with cruisers that always have me install dyna beads, they all seem to be very happy with them and their tire wear doesn't show any out of balance wear.

But then again, I don't believe any of them are running 100 mph, but they do run 75/80 and don't have your issues...

That said- everytime I remove on of their tires for a new one- those dyna beads (or a large portion of them) are "stuck" to the tire and spread pretty much all the way around it, and there always seems to be one area that many are compacted (a depression if you will) only about 1/2 or less are freely rolling around.

To me it seems foolish to not think they will find a depression in the rubber carcass rather than actually balancing the tire... For me, no thanks on the dyna beads- I like my stick on weights

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh the irony... The shop that installed the Dyna Beads in Lafayette LA is a cruiser shop. The people in there called the Versys "crotch rocket". And yes, they sold bells...

I forgot to mention this on the OP, but the first time I removed them they were on a rear Dunlop Q3 and they were clean, nothing came out of that tire other than the beads and air. This time, on the front tire, there was a lot of black rubber dust. They did not embed to the inside of the tire, but they did rub off some rubber. You know that Dunlop won't honor the warranty on a tire that had Dyna Beads?

Eff them. Stick on tire weights work just fine and I can re-use them, just peel off the old adhesive and put new double sided adhesive in them.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The cruiser shop just tossed in the bag and all inside the tire lmao? Now that is funny, either they are dumbasses or they were fkn with you and your fancy city slicker "crotch rocket"

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Why are dyna beads all the rage these days? I can't take a piss without hearing about dyna beads.

I have a hard time taking any stock in balancing due to the sheer number of times people unknowingly lose wheel weights with no discernible difference in performance. Unless you're Valentino Rossi, it most likely won't matter.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
I'd like to know how people lose wheel weights.

I do my own. I clean with rubbing alcohol and stick'em on. Never lost a single one. 140 mph tops probably. I don't tape over them either.

Who's doing the installs where they lose the weights?

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
I'd like to know how people lose wheel weights.

I do my own. I clean with rubbing alcohol and stick'em on. Never lost a single one. 140 mph tops probably. I don't tape over them either.

Who's doing the installs where they lose the weights?
I've had shops install them, everything looked fine and a few months later I look down and see that the adhesive backing of the weight had simply torn apart. :shrug
I've even had taped over weights go bye-bye.

I see them lying on the road all over the place if you look carefully.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I have a bubble balancer that I just cannot for the life of me get the hang of. these days I swap out the tire with my manual tire machine and pay 5 bucks to get it balanced.

wasted 110 bucks on the bubble balancer too.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I have a bubble balancer that I just cannot for the life of me get the hang of. these days I swap out the tire with my manual tire machine and pay 5 bucks to get it balanced.

wasted 110 bucks on the bubble balancer too.
most of the time they do not need balanced but when they do, 2 jack stands and your axle.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
In my experience the axle's bearings are not free enough to get it to stop in the same spot with each try.

Harbor freight's balancer is well worth the $40. Replace the set screws in the cones and its a fantastic balancer. My set screws were made with too much clearance for the allen wrench. I found new screws at a hardware store

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Harbor Freight balancer is what I use too. The screws are standard, so a metric allen wrench will fit "lose" and they are made out of some sort of cheese, pretty easy to strip the heads even with the correct standard allen wrench.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
In my experience the axle's bearings are not free enough to get it to stop in the same spot with each try.

Harbor freight's balancer is well worth the $40. Replace the set screws in the cones and its a fantastic balancer. My set screws were made with too much clearance for the allen wrench. I found new screws at a hardware store
lol your axle has built in bearings? also, the hf balancer is famous for having super shitty chinese bearings that barely turn worth a shit and the "axle" that comes with it is more times than not crooked.

it works perfect for me and many many many others. it stops on the same spot every time.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
I've had good experience with balancing with two jackstands and the axle as well, it's usually pretty reproducible.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
lol your axle has built in bearings? also, the hf balancer is famous for having super shitty chinese bearings that barely turn worth a shit and the "axle" that comes with it is more times than not crooked.

it works perfect for me and many many many others. it stops on the same spot every time.
The rim has the bearings. They have a rubber seal and it drags too much.
The bearings on the balancer are tight but work like butter with a rim mounted on it.
Im sure some of the stands have bad parts but the one i got is great.

Theres a balancer kit made to work with jack stands but it cost more than the hf stand.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts