Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys im going for the naked look on my 93 gixer, so what i have decided is to paint the rear fairings the upper fairing and the gas tank with this 3 can process(im sure ill use about 2-3 of their "kits" which are about 15 bux a pop) Now heres what im going to do, please tell me if this sounds good. For the plastic pieces i will sand the paint off with a random orbital sander (4 inc) using 400 grit and then rinse with laquer thinner and use a tack cloth, which then i will spray a light coat of self etching primer(spray can) wait 20-30 mins and spray one last light coat. after that i will wet sand the primer with 800 grit? then use laqueer thinner to clean and then use a tack cloth to get all the dust off. i then will proceed to spray the first color(green) on the plastic i will do 2 coats each a light coat (as to creat no runs) wait 40 mins and apply a second coat. after another 30 minutes i will apply the purple color (lightly) another 30 minutes another coat, another 30 minutes another coat. then i will wait 30 minutes and do 2 coats of medium spray clear. I will wait 24 hours and wet sand that with 1500 grit and then apply a rubbing compound? thats what i plan for the fairings...sound good? As for the gas tank i will apply the same principle only i will use a differnet primer...
thanks for any help guys
NIck

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Don't use that crap. One of my friends did on some plastic on his car. First, it came out looking like crap. Then, when he decided that he wanted it professionally painted, we had a hell of a time. The paint reacted with the plastic and literally burned and bubbled it. We had to sand down almost through the plastic and use body filler in spots to get it smooth and looking good again. Don't use it, you'll be glad you didn't.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm yeah i think ill ditch that idear...but i was thinking maybe flat black? that would look pretty sweet with my red rims. Now would i have to put a clear coat on this? One thing i like about this flat black is assume you dont have to wet sand it or apply rubbing compound? Any advice/info on painting fairings/gas tank flat black would be greatly appreciated...
thanks
nick

·
Registered
143 Posts
Spray paint only looks like spray paint if the user doesn't know what the f_ck he's doing! I have used duplicolor with awesome results, it's all in the prep work and technique! I also use HVLP guns and a compressor, I can guarentee, if you don't have a clue, on the prep work or spraying technique, you'll get shit results no matter if your using a $200 HVLP gun or a rattle can. The colour shifting paints from Duplicolor rock! Just make sure you put down multiple coats of the base.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
+1 RickC1957 - I can get great results on even gloss black with a rattle can. It can be done but takes a lot of work (ie sanding, sanding, sanding). Haven't used the color changing crap. Personally think it looks kind of lame.
If you want flat black, that's the easiest color to do. Get some black primer and put about 10 coats on. Touch up as necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts