Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 218 on my new gsx-r is getting pretty worn with only ~2000 miles on it.

I would like to be able to run some longer trips but still grip well here in the mountains. anyone here ride hard on the D220?

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
I rode my Dunlop 220s pretty hard and the rear did ok. It lasted about 4,000 miles and it was toast. The bad thing was that so was the front tire! That thing was cupped so freak'n bad it was like I was running a dual sport tire. (BTW, the last set of Dunlp 208s I put on lasted about 2,300 rear, 5,000 front)

I am now on Michelin Pilot Roads and LOVE THEM!!! Better grip than the 220s, great rain traction, better handling and will last longer. I was down at Deal's Gap a couple weeks back and got caught in a lot of rain, the Pilot Roads never lost traction.

I did some spirited 2up riding while down there and drug the foot pegs a couple times and never lost traction.

Later that day by myself, I was keeping up and passing guys on R1s and GSXRs that were running the Pilot Powers and Dunlop 208s.

My advice: Do not get the Dunlop 220.

One more thing, I have been riding for over 10 years with about 60,000 miles in the saddle. This is the first time I have ever owned a bike with out Dunlop tires. I will never have Dunlop tires again.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
I recently put a 220 on the front of my bike and has done great so far, only 200 miles on it so far. I am thinking of going to the Pilots next time and give them a try.

·
Registered
102 Posts
What are Michellin pilot roads? I can't find them. If you have a link I'd appreciate it, i'm replacing mine soon, too. Thanks mang!

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
I recently put a 220 on the front of my bike and has done great so far, only 200 miles on it so far. I am thinking of going to the Pilots next time and give them a try.
Let us know how that thing is in about 3,500 miles. If you don't brake hard and none through the curves, it might last.

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
They are an OK tire that lasted forever on my sv650. Front lasted almost 12k miles, and rear lasted 5.5k with several burnouts and lots of wheelies. They don't grip extremely well tho (imo).

Get something different. I'm running metzler z6's now, and couldn't be happier. They don't last quite as long (around 5k without burnout and wheelies and stuff like that), but grip like crazy. I've yet to have them slip on anything but gravel, loose dirt, etc.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
2001FZ1 said:
Let us know how that thing is in about 3,500 miles. If you don't brake hard and none through the curves, it might last.

Will do! Got about 200 miles on the so far, maybe a little more. I try not to do a lot of hard braking, but sometimes ya have to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts