Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dumped my SV, need some advice on fixing *added pics*

I recently dumped my 2004 Suzuki SV650s at a low speed resulting in the following damage on the left hand side of the bike...

- broken mirror
- front and rear fairings scratched to hell
- gas tank has a softball size dent in it
- left side foot peg/rest is broken off
- heel plate appears to be bent
- gear shift is broken
- end of the fork is scratched
- clip on handle bar is bent
- bar end is damaged
- the left hand grip and some of the buttons around it are smashed
- left turning signal case was smashed

I am in no way a mechanic, but that appears to be all that's damaged.

I realize that I'll obviously need to get the gear shift, foot rest, heel plate, and handle bar fixed before I can ride it again, but how important is that dent in the side of the tank? It obviously didn't puncture it, or I wouldn't be asking.
I was also wondering whether or not I should try to bend the handle bar and heel plate back properly, or just replace them. As for the fairings and such, that's cosmetic and that can wait.

I'm also now on the prowl for cheap places to replace these items. I know that ebay is probably going to be the best place to look and I'll also be checking over at SV Rider for possible leads.

Oh, and in case anyone's interested, I was wearing full gear, and despite some pain in my left hand and knee region, I'm ok.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I was out there I noticed that the end of the swingarm had some slight scratching. I've always read people responding to a scratched swingarm like it was the worst thing ever. Despite the blurry swingarm picture, does it seem that bad?

·
Registered
344 Posts
im sorry that happened. the swing arm doesnt look to bad but i am no bike expert by all means. let me know how things go.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Swingarm is fine, don't even worry about it, damage is only cosmetical (sp?)

As for the bent handlebar, don't even think about it, get a new one. Maybe you'll be able to bend it back to shape, but it will be extremely fragile. Would you like it to break in the middle of a nice run through the twisties?

Gas tank is fine, it looks like $hit, but it won't leak, but that kind of dent ain't fixable without drilling welding into it.

Plastics are only scratched, not broken, they can be fixed and painted.

Rearset is a must.

By the way, what is your concept of "low speed"??? That bike is not very far away from being totalled.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Cripes dude, what were you doing?

Anyway, glad that you are ok. Every piece you need to replace can prolly be found on EBay.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
The swingarm looks OK, but is the rear axle bent? I hope that's just a bad pic. BTW, swingarm spools or even sliders really help avoid damage. Ron Ayers has good pricing on OEM parts, but delivery can be a bit long (in case you can't find what you need on eBay or svrider).

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
I went to find you a shifter pedal on eBay but I couldn't find one for an 04, just 99-03. That really sucks bro. I honestly should know whether that clipon will fit but I don't DOH. By the way I feel your pain bro!! You had to have been going at a pretty good clip to bust your shit like that! I also ask, what happened?? You're gonna need a new clipon and probably a new bar end. You'll also probably need the controls for the left side, they look like they're all busted up. Since you're bike is newer, these parts are going to be a little on the expensive side I imagine. Dude, it looks like your clutch lever came out unharmed, how the fuck did you do that!!

Here's my bike a couple months ago...

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, in response to the question "what were you doing?", I was coming down a street that curves very hard to the right and ends in a stop light before opening into another street. The light turned red, the 2 cars in front of me (which were rushing to beat the light but decided they couldn't) stopped, and I realized I was going too fast. The silly thing about it is that by "too fast" I mean 30mph tops, maybe less. That light is a long one and that street gets a lot of traffic, which results in a lot of cars spilling fluids and all sorts of other debris. I think that when I slowed down I just grabbed too much break and hit a slick spot and that was it.

As much as it may sound like it, I'm really not trying to blame the people in front of me on going down. I should've been going slower and I should've kept a greater distance between me and them. It just boils down to a matter of me not making the right choices. At least I made the right choice to wear my gear.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Yeah I know how 30 MPH can jack your bike up. I was only going about 25-30 when I wrecked mine... and mine could have easily been totalled (look at the forks). That really sucks bro and I can see how it happened. I feel like the choices I made were also wrong, it took me a couple months to work out what I had done mentally. That thing actually still really bothers me.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Damn!!! That is a lot of damage for 30mph on both bikes!

Here are the pictures of my bike (scooter) after a 50mph hour lowside. (I outran my healight and didn't saw gravel on a downhill turn)

Now the scooter is fixed, but I don't feel like riding it anymore...

Attachments

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
mu suggestion is you hop on ebay and start re-furbishing your bike

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just finished fixing one myself, here are a few ways I saved myself some money.

1. Do as much of the work yourself as you are mechaincally able.
2. Buy a factory shop manual for your bike!! These will give you the proper torque specs and tell you what should and should not have anti-seize or thread-locker applied. it may also save a broken peice or lost spring by telling you the proper order to take something apart.
3. Forget replacing footpegs with factory. It is cheaper to just opt for something after market. Check Lockhart Phillips, Competition Werks, and Pro-Tek.
4. Used clip-ons may be hard to find, as the are generally damaged in most crashes. You can get aftermarket ones for about the price of one facotry replacement.
5. Plastics are not important to get up and riding. Scratches don't matter, and broken plastics can sometimes be plastic welded (chemically or heat).
6. Ebay is your friend!!! You have a very popular bike, so parts could be easy to find. Just use your head, look at the seller's feedback, and keep in mind all parts are used. If a used part looks used online, it is probably trashed in person!
7. The foot shifter can be repaired by drilling the lug out (where the rubber piece was attatched). You can then tap the hole, buy a bolt to match the threads and locktite that in there. I locked mine down with a nut locktited on the other side too. The rubber piece is $3 instead of replacing the whole shifter. once completed grind the bolt round and it will take a very good eye to ever notice it!
8. Check Suzuki's Micro Fiche for parts interchangability. It might help you find something that will fit if you can't find the part listed as your bike.
9. Don't forget about cycle salvage yards. Do a google search and check in the back of magazines for adverts.
10. Go slow and do the work right. You ass is literally riding on your mechanical repairs. It starts quick by replacing the big parts, but the little stuff takes for ever since you don't see much change in the condition of the bike. Don't get frustrated, keep at it!
11. Working in a clean organized enviroment helps considerably. Cheap clear takle boxes make great bolt and small piece organizers. I suggest placing a small piece of paper with the parts ID on it so you will remember where it goes. Trust me, you will forget or misidentify something!

I know most of these things are common knowledge. Sometimes things just need to be said again. It takes a while, and is expensive as well as frustrating. Be glad your bike is popular and doesn't have the Honda parts price tag with it :).

Good luck!!! keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks a lot for all the comments and suggestions guys, especially Str8away Hater. I'll be sure to keep all of that in mind. I particularly like the idea with the gear shifter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I almost forgot to mention that my friend and I solved the clip-on situation. After taking a closer look at it, we determined that it wasn't actually bent at all. It seems that when the bike fell, the manner in which the clip-on was fastened to the bike gave way a bit and the clip on just slid slightly towards the bike. We loosened the bolt, adjusted the handlebar to match the other side and it was good as new.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
That's awesome news with the handlebar bro, at least SOMETHING worked out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts