Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, they did it. The next generation of S4 monsters.

Ducati Monster 1200 - Ducati

I suppose this means the street fighter line is dead in the water. Such a shame since I prefer the street fighter styling.

Oh, and I made a little graph of the unceremonious decline of the beautifully designed steel trellis frame which has embodied these Ducati's since their inception.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I kinda doubt the streetfighter line is dead. the SF line was based off the ducati sport/superbikes.

with the 1199 and 899 rather fresh, I've no doubt we'll see a new SF line in the next couple of years. the SF and monster appeal to very different purposes.

I like the frame. come off it. Also, hnnnnngggderrrrrr...Single Sided Swingarm. . .yes.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Interesting how the plastic for the rear fender comes off of the swingarm instead of the tail of the bike. :headscrtch

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
same thing is used on the diavel.

I actually like it. keeps the tail clean. looks sharp to me.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Looks like it will be a PITA to do any work on. And it is pretty much a monocoque, a weird one.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Looks like it will be a PITA to do any work on.
That's a given. It's a Ducati.

I know, I had a Monster 696 a few years ago. To get to the battery, you have to take the gas tank off for Christ's sake.

Ducati makes very nice looking bikes, but they're not real riders bikes, IMO. The majority of them get bought by rich people that are looking for a status symbol. No offense to anyone that is a Ducati fanboy.

I had mine for a year and put like 13k miles on it. The cost of the valve adjustments alone was enough to make me get rid of it quick.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I said the majority were bought by rich people. You're obviously in the minority.
I'm pretty sure that Monsters sell in much more volume than their SBK and other lines. So most ducatis are owned by normal, average everyday people who like a little flare in their life.

But you are an essential government employee who loves-I mean lives in-DC, so you definition of rich should be much higher than 100K per year or so, right? I wager that most people with Ducatis make well under that amount.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Heh, I only know one person in the flesh that owns a Duc, a monster, and she is a 23 year old college student who is paying her way through it, and constantly broke. I would be terribly surprised if she broke 15k/year.

*Sigh*. And she smokes me in what few corners we have. At least that Duc is a nice ass to watch as it pulls away from you.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Monsters sell in much more volume than their SBK and other lines. So most ducatis are owned by normal, average everyday people who like a little flare in their life.

But you are an essential government employee who loves-I mean lives in-DC, so you definition of rich should be much higher than 100K per year or so, right? I wager that most people with Ducatis make well under that amount.
Maybe it's just where I am, but with the possible exception of the Monster, every other Ducati owner I've met was rich and didn't really ride them much.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I also find it quite simple to work on...
Well that's one way to save money. Because Ducati's require a lot of work just to keep running, that is if you ride it any.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Maybe it's just where I am, but with the possible exception of the Monster, every other Ducati owner I've met was rich and didn't really ride them much.
Go to Summit Point. You'll meet lots of people who ride Ducati's who aren't rich and ride the shit out of them. Granted, you'll meet some REALLY wealthy ones too, but it's not the norm.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts