Sport Bikes banner

Ducati = Harley Davidson.

9K views 204 replies 59 participants last post by  LDS 
#1 ·
How on earth can these Italian fruitcakes charge twice as much for a bike that's half as good? Sure, their plastic is cuter but clearly the japanese bikes perform better. Everyone is like omg wowz he has a ducati, when they should be like omg wowz he ripped himself off.

#4 ·
It's all what a person likes and wants. Obviously they sell because someone is buying them.

#83 · (Edited)
I know I'm late to this party, but I've been out of town a couple days.

Well lets see..... hand made, high end models have ohlins suspension and marchesni wheels, brembo brakes etc etc....
+1

If you can pass off the brembo monoblocks and stock marchesini's as junk compared to your gixxah, then you really have no clue.

Well for one thing, Locally at least, The Warranties are vastly different. With the big 4 you go out to a track day and have a part fail or multiple parts, good luck trying to get that fixed under warranty. On a Ducati, it would be covered. Of course there are varying circumstances of course.
I don't know about that, but Ducati does give owners crazy 24/7/365 roadside assistance. Even got a letter postmarked from Italy about it. You break down anywhere, you call them up and they tow you. The service in general is absolutely better. Walk into the Ducati dealership and they'll put a drink in your hand and offer you testrides of new bikes. Only once I've been in there they didn't offer me lunch too. Try that with your gixxah.

#61 ·
apparently mommy didnt give him enough attention when he was a kid, now he has to troll the net.

#10 ·
Well for one thing, Locally at least, The Warranties are vastly different. With the big 4 you go out to a track day and have a part fail or multiple parts, good luck trying to get that fixed under warranty. On a Ducati, it would be covered. Of course there are varying circumstances of course.

This was explained to me by our local Duc Dealer, if he is full of shit let me know :(
I also think that the bikes and the company have a richer,more fascinating history behind them. But this is all IMO

#43 · (Edited)
A friend dropped a valve at the track on his 600rr. Honda rebuilt his motor right at the end of his warranty.

He figured they'd just blame him for over revving the motor with too many downshifts and tell him to get bent.

#14 ·
When Yamaha dressed an R1 up to a Ducati 1098S spec it and offered it as a special edition it listed for $19,000. I saw a new 1098S for that yesterday.

Game Set Match.

#17 ·
EDIT: ya, that would be the 1198s that came with Traction control not the 1098s, oops
The Street Fighter is a 1098...with 1198 cases DTC and all the fixins......21,600.

:cheers

#16 ·
One thing I noticed though...all girls and non bike people always refer to the japanese bike by generic names as "Ninja", "CBR", etc, etc, etc...regardless of cc, year, model, etc.

But they know a Ducati is a Ducati. When I first got my Ducati, I would get LOTS of compliments, girls would turn their heads, honk and give me their numbers on the street...guys asking "What size is it? 996? 916?"...never seen that with a Jap bike.

Let's continue feeding the troll :)

#28 ·
You're meeting some smart people then, because most girls I've met couldn't tell a honda from a ducati, let alone name the company that made the bike dispite it being written on the tank. I find that girls will not notice the make or model of the bike, they'll just know it's a sportbike, it looks good thus they give their numbers or honk.

Hell if I was riding and some chick came up to me and said "hey, nice r6", I'd shit my pants.

#22 ·
Typical answers I would expect from a bunch of Ducati riders.:banana

We all know Rossi and Lorenzo ride Yamaha ok. Ducati's motors just aren't that great. Look at the 848 that thing is 848cc and puts out less power than Jap 600's.

Buyer's remorse, when evidence exists that it is justified, is a classical example of cognitive dissonance. One will either seek to discount the new evidence, or truly regret and try to renounce the purchase.

#23 ·
Ducati's motors just aren't that great. Look at the 848 that thing is 848cc and puts out less power than Jap 600's.
Oh boy!!! Another person with no understanding of physics!!!

Yep, it's all displacement. That's all that matters. A cubic centimeter is a cubic centimeter. All that stuff about bore and stroke and mass and acceleration and valve area and stuff don't mean nothin'.

In this case, they all suck compared to two-strokes...

#25 ·
That's kinda like asking why a Ferrari cost more than a Vette.

You still have no clue! Please go find a guy with a 748, ride over to Daytona for a track day, strap a pair of binoculars to your helmet so you can at least get glimpse as the dude smokes you through the twisties. Also, check out some World Superbike stats on manufacturer victories while your at it.

#30 ·
You fail! MAJOR:

All-time World Superbike Champions – Riders:

2008 Troy Bayliss (Ducati)
2007 James Toseland (Honda)
2006 Troy Bayliss (Ducati)
2005 Troy Corser (Suzuki)
2004 James Toseland (Ducati)
2003 Neil Hodgson (Ducati)
2002 Colin Edwards (Honda)
2001 Troy Bayliss (Ducati)
2000 Colin Edwards (Honda)
1999 Carl Fogarty (Ducati)
1998 Carl Fogarty (Ducati)
1997 John Kocinski (Honda)
1996 Troy Corser (Ducati)
1995 Carl Fogarty (Ducati)
1994 Carl Fogarty (Ducati)
1993 Scott Russell (Kawasaki)
1992 Doug Polen (Ducati)
1991 Doug Polen (Ducati)
1990 Raymond Roche (Ducati)
1989 Fred Merkel (Honda)
1988 Fred Merkel (Honda)

All-time World Superbike Champions – Manufacturers:

2008 Ducati
2007 Yamaha
2006 Ducati
2005 Suzuki
2004 Ducati
2003 Ducati
2002 Ducati
2001 Ducati
2000 Ducati
1999 Ducati
1998 Ducati
1997 Honda
1996 Ducati
1995 Ducati
1994 Ducati
1993 Ducati
1992 Ducati
1991 Ducati
1990 Honda
1989 Honda
1988 Honda

#31 ·
Once you factor in superior depreciation rates, the "Japanese bikes are cheaper" argument mostly goes out of the window.

#36 ·
Still not in bed? The new ZR1 beat the F430. What don't you own a Suzuki? You fit every other douchebag/squid profile?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.