Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Eskimo Bro
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here have one? I found a 2008 here on CL for $7900 with only 450 miles.

Such a terrible temptation...

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I think that is overpriced, but perhaps the market is different in AK (although I would have thought less expensive).

GT is not may favorite duc, but if you like it then that is all that matters.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Anyone on here have one? I found a 2008 here on CL for $7900 with only 450 miles.

Such a terrible temptation...
The price seemed pretty good. A couple years ago I wanted a Ducati with the 1000DS engine, so I looked out for GTs among other models. They occasionally came up for sale in the $10k range in my area.

Even though I didn't end up getting a GT, I did get a Monster S2R1000. What I can tell you is that the 1000DS engine is great for street riding. From my limited research, the weak point of the GT is the suspension. You might want to budget another $2k for upgrading the forks and the rear (dual) shocks.

They look awesome in person.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
do it. I have wanted one for eons.

·
Eskimo Bro
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I can't bring myself to pull the tr*****. :( My woman says I have too many toys already.

I think on my next promotion I will try and find one. They sound spectacular with an exhaust and I think they look pretty sexy stripped down.

Found this pic online and I would modify it similar to this.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
The 2006 SportClassic is one of the most sought after modern ducatis, and I think GT1000 owners are trying to fly on it's coat tails for pricing (my comment about pricing). The GT is not a bad bike by any stretch, but the 06 SC is a beautiful fusion of modern and classic that was lost on the GT.

Back then, ducati could hardly move them off the show room floor. Of course, now that Cafe Racers are back in at Starbucks, I wonder if Ducati will addressing that market soon.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
They do, unfortunately, have the dreaded plastic (PA6 nylon) gas tank, though.

PhilB

·
Registered
465 Posts
They do, unfortunately, have the dreaded plastic (PA6 nylon) gas tank, though.

PhilB
But that doesn't matter. It's a Ducati and everybody knows real riders ride ducati's exclusively, shitty plastic tanks be dammed.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
But that doesn't matter. It's a Ducati and everybody knows real riders ride ducati's exclusively, shitty plastic tanks be dammed.
I've been very happy with my Ducati. But I wouldn't buy one with a plastic gas tank unless I'd pre-sourced, and was willing to pay for, another type of tank. (And it's not just Ducs; several other manufacturers had problems with them as well. Ducati just got hit worse than the others because they had switched their whole lineup to them, and had used the material in ways that made replacing with other materials very difficult on many of the models.)

PhilB

Reactions: stnkbg1

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
And let the DCNinja useless hating begin.

I'm just glad that Ducati has started putting metal tanks on some of the bikes that use the same tank as my 1098 so that I have something to shop for when mine starts to swell. Crappy problem I'll admit, but at least there are options for fixing it on some models

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I've been very happy with my Ducati. But I wouldn't buy one with a plastic gas tank unless I'd pre-sourced, and was willing to pay for, another type of tank. (And it's not just Ducs; several other manufacturers had problems with them as well. Ducati just got hit worse than the others because they had switched their whole lineup to them, and had used the material in ways that made replacing with other materials very difficult on many of the models.)

PhilB
My Aprilia had the same problem, and they denied it too. The Guzzi I looked at had one too so I avoided it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
It seems everyone has the same problem with plastic tanks. Ducati just gets the most attention, probably because they sell more bikes than companies like Aprilia and Moto Guzzi, but also because they seem to have a lot more devoted followers, and rabid haters and both groups are rather vocal.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
It seems everyone has the same problem with plastic tanks. Ducati just gets the most attention, probably because they sell more bikes than companies like Aprilia and Moto Guzzi, but also because they seem to have a lot more devoted followers, and rabid haters and both groups are rather vocal.
Part of it was the high profile of Ducati. A big part of it, though, was that for Ducati it was across the whole line, and they had designed the whole line to use the plastic tanks. H-D used a plastic tank on the XR1200 and had a problem, but their tank was shaped like a "normal" tank, and they changed it. Triumph the same, with the Street Triple. Ducati, OTOH, had models like the HyperMotard with a hidden tank of complex shape under the seat, that they couldn't replace with a metal tank. And all of their models had the plastic. There have been efforts I've heard of to make aluminum tanks for the SportClassics and the plastic-tanked Monsters (before the modern 696/796/1100 era), but I don't know if any of them have actually gotten into production. They'd probably be $1500-2000 each, but if I had one of those bikes, I might be willing to pony that up to fix the problem permanently.

PhilB

·
Registered
465 Posts
Part of it was the high profile of Ducati. A big part of it, though, was that for Ducati it was across the whole line, and they had designed the whole line to use the plastic tanks. H-D used a plastic tank on the XR1200 and had a problem, but their tank was shaped like a "normal" tank, and they changed it. Triumph the same, with the Street Triple. Ducati, OTOH, had models like the HyperMotard with a hidden tank of complex shape under the seat, that they couldn't replace with a metal tank. And all of their models had the plastic. There have been efforts I've heard of to make aluminum tanks for the SportClassics and the plastic-tanked Monsters (before the modern 696/796/1100 era), but I don't know if any of them have actually gotten into production. They'd probably be $1500-2000 each, but if I had one of those bikes, I might be willing to pony that up to fix the problem permanently.

PhilB
Shit for $2k I'd dump the Duc and get a better bike.

I can't understand the mindset of a Ducati fan boy. To be fiercely loyal to a brand with so many fatal flaws.

Ah, but the rest of us are just jealous because "we can't afford" to be a Duc owner. :confused: Maybe we just don't like throwing $2k down the toilet of a poorly engineered bike.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Shit for $2k I'd dump the Duc and get a better bike.

I can't understand the mindset of a Ducati fan boy. To be fiercely loyal to a brand with so many fatal flaws.

Ah, but the rest of us are just jealous because "we can't afford" to be a Duc owner. :confused: Maybe we just don't like throwing $2k down the toilet of a poorly engineered bike.
I have read many things on forums such as this written by many very stupid people. But few are so relentless at it. Congratulations; you've found your niche.

PhilB

P.S. My Duc has not exhibited any poor engineering at all, nor any "fatal flaws" over the last 20 years and 220,000 miles.
P.P.S. Bye-bye. I think you also get the honor of becoming only the second person outside of the P&R sub-forum to earn an ignore. You and mrphotoman. Great company.

Reactions: stnkbg1

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have read many things on forums such as this written by many very stupid people. But few are so relentless at it. Congratulations; you've found your niche.

PhilB

P.S. Bye-bye. I think you also get the honor of becoming only the second person outside of the P&R sub-forum to earn an ignore.
To each his own. Personally I think it's stupid to spend $2k on something that you wouldn't have to spend a dime on if the manufacturer had simply placed engineering at a higher priority than style.

But now we get to the crux of the Ducati dilemma. Ducati's are all about style, engineering and reliability be damned. It's a good thing most don't get ridden very hard. I wonder how many other long term reliability issues would surface if more did actually get ridden. I have a feeling it would be a lot more than exploding gas tanks. (Cue the loyal ducstistas of SBN to defend ducati's reliability with testimonials of doing all their own maintenance.)

I sincerely hope you enjoy spending $2k to fix a problem that engineering should have caught. I, on the other hand, will enjoy spending $2k on upgrades to my bike and new gear.

I also find it funny that you think I care that you ignored me. Like that's going to change anything. Have fun with your exploding had tank. Bye bye.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
To each his own. Personally I think it's stupid to spend $2k on something that you wouldn't have to spend a dime on if the manufacturer had simply placed engineering at a higher priority than style.

But now we get to the crux of the Ducati dilemma. Ducati's are all about style, engineering and reliability be damned. It's a good thing most don't get ridden very hard. I wonder how many other long term reliability issues would surface if more did actually get ridden. I have a feeling it would be a lot more than exploding gas tanks. (Cue the loyal ducstistas of SBN to defend ducati's reliability with testimonials of doing all their own maintenance.)

I sincerely hope you enjoy spending $2k to fix a problem that engineering should have caught. I, on the other hand, will enjoy spending $2k on upgrades to my bike and new gear.

I also find it funny that you think I care that you ignored me. Like that's going to change anything. Have fun with your exploding had tank. Bye bye.
I agree somewhat. After my Aprilia experience I will never buy another bike with a plastic tank. It turned me away from an awesome to ride Streetfighter 848, and a bonkers Multistrada. They should have fixed the problem sooner. The fact that they're still selling new bikes with them is disgusting.

I asked a salesman at a Ducati dealer about it and he said it's not really an issue, meanwhile I don't know anyone who hasn't had a problem with them on any brand.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 50 Posts