Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
5,455 Posts
i'd take a Desmosedici over one of those any day. way faster than i need it to be and it sure doesn't look like anything else on the road.

and they sound amazing!!!!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it will involve serious quantities of CF. Will this one use CF fairings, CF monocoque and wheels?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Now that I think of it... That must be it, CF wheels and CF monocoque. There are no more than 4lbs to be saved by using CF fairings, current engine covers are incredibly light, so it must be on the next heavy items, monocoque and wheels.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Similar name to the Lamborghini model. Audi influence I suppose?

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I sure hope they do something special for the bodywork, more than just a paint job. I mean, what's the point of a $65k ultrasuperbike if it looks just like the ones that cost half as much or less? That's one of the reasons people lust for the desmo, it doesn't look or sound like any other bike.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I sure hope they do something special for the bodywork, more than just a paint job. I mean, what's the point of a $65k ultrasuperbike if it looks just like the ones that cost half as much or less? That's one of the reasons people lust for the desmo, it doesn't look or sound like any other bike.
See I'm the opposite I'd rather something that looked like everyone else annihilate everything, only the real anoraks would notice.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
See I'm the opposite I'd rather something that looked like everyone else annihilate everything, only the real anoraks would notice.
THIS. It's what probably makes 848s w/DucShop 1040 Big Bore kits so much fun, lol.

This 1199 RS looks like it'll be the real deal. Invite only to purchase, though. So most likely those that bought something like a combo of a 999R, 1098/1198R, and D16RR when each first came out would be the potential candidates for the RS special code.

I'd still rather a Desmosedici RR.

-Christian

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
That's all I need, another bike I'll never be able to own! :p

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
invite only for purchase?

Fuuuuuck that. that kind of elitism just turns me right off.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Fantastic. I never expected to be. Thanks though.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
If done correctly, the invite list is to prevent collectors from scooping them up and hidding them away with 0 miles. A significant number will go to guys who will use them as intended.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Because most Ducatis sold are tracked/raced. . .

Either way, I never have liked the invite only dealio to buy vehicles. gives off this air of "we're better than you".
no, fuck off, I am buying your shit.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
Because most Ducatis sold are tracked/raced. . .

Either way, I never have liked the invite only dealio to buy vehicles. gives off this air of "we're better than you".
no, fuck off, I am buying your shit.
dude, you get so butt-hurt over things that don't matter, especially 'luxury' items. it's a halo bike, they are probably losing money on them, but the want them in the hands of high profile people who will be seen on them. ferrari did the same thing with the F50 and Enzo.

Halo effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Products and marketing[edit]

In brand marketing, a halo effect is one where the perceived positive features of a particular item extend to a broader brand. One famous example is how the popularity of Apple’s iPod has generated enthusiasm for its other products.[14] The effect is also exploited in the automotive industry, where a manufacturer may produce an exceptional halo vehicle in order to promote sales of an entire marque. Modern cars often described as halo vehicles include the Dodge Viper, Ford GT, and Acura NSX.[citation needed]

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I was gonna say, they aren't the first to do this. They are only making a few, and they want to get all the publicity they can out of them. If Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt are riding them around Hollywood it's gonna get photographed in a million tabloids. As trashy as that is, it's advertising and it works. Having them all disappear into the garages of rich nobodys doesn't do them any good at all.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts