Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some research for what kind of bike to get for my first bike. At first I was looking at a V-strom 650, but I have decided that this bike would be just too big and expensive for a first bike. However, I do like that style. So I got to looking at a few dual sport bikes, as suggested by some of ya'll here. But how well will these bikes really handle on the street? I don't plan on doing any knee dragging or anything, but just to and from work and school. Also, what type of top speed am I looking at? Would I be able to drive it down the highway for extended periods of time (2-3 hours)? I have looked at DRZ 400, KLR 250, XT 225, DR 350. I am thinking that a dual sport would be more forgiving on the pocket book if I lay the bike down or something. I don't plan on taking the bike off road much, but it is a possibility, every now and then. Anything else I should consider when thinking about a dual sport?

·
Registered
681 Posts
This is what I know from experience......the DRZ tops out(stock gearing) at about 80-85mph w/ my 160lbs on it. If you want longer rides on the freeway, look into a 650.

Handling should be just fine if you get the 80% street tires on it, the street knobbies will slide some( they are street legal dirt tires).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a HONDA XR650R and eventually turned it into a motard 17' EXCELL rims, HAAN hubs, MOTO-MASTER brakes, WHITE BROS R4 pipe fun as fawk but sucked for long rides and defiantelly different every where i went especially at bike nights tuned more heads than any other street bike
But for what you're looking for I'd go with an sv650

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i had an xt600 as my first bike. i learned on a dirt road so when i dumped it, nothing broke. it took a while to get to 85mph and once it was there it sounded like the engine was gonna blow up. i wouldn't take it out in thick sand, however, if its trails then go for it. i had the serious knobby tires on that bike and i never had a problem with them. windy days are scary as hell on dual-sports because they get blown around so easily due to the weight and height of the bike. resale i found to be good on these bikes due to the fact that i sold the xt600 for what i paid. i tell everyone who is looking into getting their first bike to look into a dual-sport. they are great bikes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I currently ride a Suzuki DR-650, it does fine on the street/interstate as long as you keep it at 70 or below. I've had very little problem with the semi knobbies on my daily commute. Granted this is far from my first bike. I'm actually slumming with this one, a situation I hope to fix sometime in the near future.

M.

·
Registered
558 Posts
this bike is to big for ya, but the triumph tigers absolutely screw. My buddy has one, and I was so suprised at how quick the thing was and how well it handled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts