Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have some detailed instructions with Photos on how to get both lights to come on in low beam operation? I cant figure out why the manufacturers dont have both headlights come on. It is a definite hazard for night riding. Half of my riding (commuting) is at night in traffic.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Its relatively easy to do and probably the first mod a lot of people do. Before someone turns into the "search nazi" check this thread. I am sure there are directions there and maybe pics too.

mod

·
Registered
566 Posts
maddawg46 said:
Anyone have some detailed instructions with Photos on how to get both lights to come on in low beam operation? I cant figure out why the manufacturers dont have both headlights come on. It is a definite hazard for night riding. Half of my riding (commuting) is at night in traffic.

Here are some pics from when I did the mod, hope it helps.

·
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo
2,073 Posts
^ Nice one.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
maddawg46 said:
But why is it more dangerous for night riding? Are you implying that if you road a bike with only one headlight, it would be a hazard as well?

I have never encountered any problems from riding thia bike at night, whether it was in traffic, or some dark country road.

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
tonyzagod said:
Here are some pics from when I did the mod, hope it helps.
Those are the pictures I used when changing mine over....very helpful.

AugieNYC said:
But I gotta tell you that this mods is not legal on the west coast.
Never heard that before and I'm not going to search for something that obsure when it's already be raised here....speak up!

rennsport said:
But why is it more dangerous for night riding? Are you implying that if you road a bike with only one headlight, it would be a hazard as well?

I have never encountered any problems from riding thia bike at night, whether it was in traffic, or some dark country road.
Oh gaaawd........he's just saying it will probably be better with both on...and IT IS.

Think....lighting the side of the road much more than with only the left light on (I hope I don't need to explain the multitude of benefits from this) and think a better lit road when leaing the bike over in both directions at night.

It's easy, it's better, and it does not use a substantial amount of power you need for anything else....I don't care if you have 47 heated vests on...the dual light mod is not going to make or break your warmth or force you to deal with any other undesireable trade-offs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
For what it's worth, I did this last week, and used the other method, without soldering. You just jump from the bottom of the left headlight (the one that works now on low beam) to the top terminal of the right one (same as in above pics). No wires to skin back, just make yourself some right angle terminal adapters, crimp them on well, and then bolt it back together. I think it took me 20 minutes? Maybe 30 tops.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Cap'n said:
For what it's worth, I did this last week, and used the other method, without soldering. You just jump from the bottom of the left headlight (the one that works now on low beam) to the top terminal of the right one (same as in above pics). No wires to skin back, just make yourself some right angle terminal adapters, crimp them on well, and then bolt it back together. I think it took me 20 minutes? Maybe 30 tops.

But with that method even when you turn the high beam on the low beam filament stays on as well.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
DefyInertia said:
Oh gaaawd........he's just saying it will probably be better with both on...and IT IS.

Think....lighting the side of the road much more than with only the left light on (I hope I don't need to explain the multitude of benefits from this) and think a better lit road when leaing the bike over in both directions at night.

It's easy, it's better, and it does not use a substantial amount of power you need for anything else....I don't care if you have 47 heated vests on...the dual light mod is not going to make or break your warmth or force you to deal with any other undesireable trade-offs.

He said it was DANGEROUS. I asked how so. Saying that two lights is better than one, does not mean riding with only one light is DANGEROUS. It is just not as advantageous. As for lighting the side of a dark road, I would be running with high beams on. I never mentioned heated gear...

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
rennsport said:
Saying that two lights is better than one, does not mean riding with only one light is DANGEROUS. It is just not as advantageous.
Right......which is why I explained what I interpreted his comments to mean. As in, oh god, you know what he means!

rennsport said:
As for lighting the side of a dark road, I would be running with high beams on.
Highbeams are only an option a fraction of the time!

rennsport said:
I never mentioned heated gear...
Really? I don't know what I was thinking with that one...

rennsport said:
instead of consuming another 55 watts of the only 320 matts tot al power available for a second low beam, I would rather use that wattage for a heated vest and heated grips in the colder months of the year. The vest I have draws 35 watts. I am not surewhat the grips consume.
Proc said:
I consider the extra 55watts a safety improvement.
Cars notice you better when you have 2 headlights on.
rennsport said:
I consider avoiding hypothermia a safety issue as well.
Ok, I'm done. It's a good mod is all I'm saying...let's not confuse the newbs as to that ~fact.

·
Registered
18 Posts
headlight mod

cap'n
the way you did it will probably cause problems!! You are powering both filiments on the H4 bulb when in highbeam mode. This could cause you to exceed the total wattage of the charging system. You need to do the mod that allows you to shut off the low filiment (in H4 bulb) when in high beam mode.
ST1100nut

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
ST1100nut said:
cap'n
the way you did it will probably cause problems!! You are powering both filiments on the H4 bulb when in highbeam mode. This could cause you to exceed the total wattage of the charging system. You need to do the mod that allows you to shut off the low filiment (in H4 bulb) when in high beam mode.
ST1100nut
+1

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
DefyInertia said:
Right......which is why I explained what I interpreted his comments to mean. As in, oh god, you know what he means!

Highbeams are only an option a fraction of the time!

Really? I don't know what I was thinking with that one...

Ok, I'm done. It's a good mod is all I'm saying...let's not confuse the newbs as to that ~fact.
Oh so you pull up a post from last year. Stick to the current topic and the auestion asked in it. I was not trying to confuse the newbs but, let's not do a chicken little imitation either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts