Sport Bikes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a couple of post about making both lights work as low beams.

Read one thing about just simply wiring the left low beam to the right low beam and now there are two working low beam lights. Any body do this and not have any problems with blowing fuses or anything? In other words, can the bike's electrical system really handle the extra load. I assume it can since I read another artical about making two high beams work.

I did read one thing about how somebody said that if you do the first mod and run your high beam a lot, which I do, that the right bulb will burn out more often.

I guess it would be because both elements in the same bulb are burning and it just gets to hot to last.

I was thinking that a simple relay wired in on that light would fix the problem. Simply make that low beam cut off with the relay when the high beam is turned on.

Use a normally closed relay to put power to that low beam light. Use power from the high beam circuit to open that relay when the high beam is cut on. That way the low beam cuts off when the high beam is cut on. Pretty simple I think.

One last question. Does running both low beams really make a good difference at night? I ride very little at night, mostly day time so I run my high beam almost all the time. Just thinking that if I did this little light mod, the relay would be needed to make the bulbs last. At least from what I have read.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey ThatsRicci, did you have to ride to day? Nasty weather (at least for us SoCal weather weenies)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hahahah, I bought a car over the weekend (05' acura MDX) at the 'giant used car tent sale!' None of the dealers would give the deal I wanted on a decent tacoma, so I went the cozy luxury route...

I had them on the ropes for 2 days, went back on saturday evening and the car I wanted was still there and they finally gave me the right deal to get it off the lot... So i stayed warm and dry this morning!

Although, I felt like a huge puss when two guys on bikes rode by me on the freeway in the traffic... We'll see how long I enjoy owning a car again... I predict by spring/summer I'll want to get rid of it again...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just read through some of that long post on the head light mod. I was thinking of needing to put in a relay to work the bulb correctly but with that wire there is no need to. Why Yamaha did not just make the bike like that in the first place is beyond me. Everything is already there for it to be done. Just relocate one wire.

I will have to do that one this weekend.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I just read through some of that long post on the head light mod. I was thinking of needing to put in a relay to work the bulb correctly but with that wire there is no need to. Why Yamaha did not just make the bike like that in the first place is beyond me. Everything is already there for it to be done. Just relocate one wire.

I will have to do that one this weekend.
I'm guessing that wire is there because if I understand correctly, the Euro version has the lights reversed from ours. One wiring harness works for all versions...

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
+1 on using the harness wire... when done properly, the one headlight will switch from high beam to low beam with the flip of the switch. The other stays low all the time. It certainly shuts people up about the damn headlight being out! LOL

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got really tired of hitting all the atuo parts stores and radio shacks trying to find that connector so I just bought a whole new connector with three wires already in it from the next auto parts store I came to.

Went home and wired it all up in about 30 minutes I think. Went for a little ride around the corner and I do think that it puts a bit more light on the road. Not as much as I was expecting but it is nice to have two working low beams at least.

Easy mod and well worth the $3 I spent on the new plug.

Wish all mods were only $3 and took only thirty minutes.

·
Another day lived!
2,288 Posts
I ran a wire between both low beam pins. I already had wire in the garage so it essentially cost me nothing to do. I have been running it for about a year like that and have had no problems. Turning on the high beams don't make much difference now. And everyone used to tell me I had a light out before.

·
I dunno
3,784 Posts
I did the same thing as GMan with the same results, and yes it makes a big difference with available light.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I did the same thing as GMan as well, ran it about a year, and had a premature battery death, so I pulled it. It may not have been the cause, but I don't know what else would've done it. I'd like to go back and run it the right way, because I do miss having both lights on all the time, if only because it makes the front of the bike a much b***** object to oncoming cellphone talkers/car drivers. But the amperage load on the alternator would be the same either way, so I don't see why it would be any better, and thus my quandry. Meanwhile, she's in storage, with the mod removed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It'll use an extra 55W and get hotter if you wire it directly because when you turn on the highbeam both the high and low will be on the right headlight.

don't forget to rev your bike over 4grand once in a while to keep it charged :p

·
Registered
734 Posts
For those of you have done the mod, do you think the 2nd light is annoying to the people in front of you at night?

I ask because I notice when I am driving on the freeway in the dark I can see the overhead signage light up when I am approaching it. I don't remember if it did that before I made the mod. I figure if it's shooting that high, it might be in the mirror of cars but nobody ever acts PO'd when I go by so...

·
Another day lived!
2,288 Posts
I did the same thing as GMan as well, ran it about a year, and had a premature battery death, so I pulled it. It may not have been the cause, but I don't know what else would've done it. I'd like to go back and run it the right way, because I do miss having both lights on all the time, if only because it makes the front of the bike a much b***** object to oncoming cellphone talkers/car drivers. But the amperage load on the alternator would be the same either way, so I don't see why it would be any better, and thus my quandry. Meanwhile, she's in storage, with the mod removed.
May have just been a bad battery even though it is pretty new. That jumper between the lights won't make that much of a differnce in extra load on the system. You could always take it out and have it tested after charging it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
For those of you have done the mod, do you think the 2nd light is annoying to the people in front of you at night?

I ask because I notice when I am driving on the freeway in the dark I can see the overhead signage light up when I am approaching it. I don't remember if it did that before I made the mod. I figure if it's shooting that high, it might be in the mirror of cars but nobody ever acts PO'd when I go by so...
I've noticed that too, but I have yet to get flashed with my dims on. I can see and others can see me, so its all good!

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
I've noticed that too, but I have yet to get flashed with my dims on. I can see and others can see me, so its all good!
Never got flashed, rode that way for over 10,000 km and lots of that at night.

I wish I'd get flashed.

*sniff*

:twofinger

·
Registered
266 Posts

It is aimed higher on that side... I just put it on the center stand about 6ft away from the garage door and aimed it even with the other light.... the high beam seems a little low after that so if you do it I would leave the right light slightly higher than the left on low beam.... it was a single screw adjustment.... I can't remember wich off the top of my head but it was pretty obvious as my first guess on wich to turn to aim the light was right:dunno

1 - 18 of 18 Posts