Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 92 Katana 600, with a vance and hines exhaust kit on it, and the muffler portion bolts on the right side,

im wondering if there isan exhaust kit that will have two cans on ti so that i have exhaust pipes on both sides

i love the dual exhaust look

can anyone help?:pisson

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
clong722003 said:
I got a 92 Katana 600, with a vance and hines exhaust kit on it, and the muffler portion bolts on the right side,

im wondering if there isan exhaust kit that will have two cans on ti so that i have exhaust pipes on both sides

i love the dual exhaust look

can anyone help?:pisson
Usually only on the b***** bikes. Aftermarket dual can kits aren't real common on 4 cylinder bikes.

·
Titanium Princess
1,058 Posts
That would be like putting dual pipes on a festiva. If you wanted dual cans, you should have gotten a b***** bike. Just because it looks nice doesn't mean they're intended for the smaller bikes, hence why you never see them on 600's. Be happy with what you have, and admire those you like.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Okay, the reasoning behind muffler design from the factory is two fold.........

1) the muffler must quiet down the engine to the acceptable decible level so for that to happen it and NOT lose performance it must hold something in the neighborhood of 10 times the displacement of the engine.

Modern exhaust systems do this really well and its why you see less and less gain for slip ons (generaly no gain these days) and small returns on full systems too.

2) Performance. Some tuning changes happen when you split the collector up. If you dont know, exhaust works in principle by sonic wave. The moment the sound wave reaches the step out of the primary header pipe to the collector it reverts. Angles and dimensions affect power range and placement. So for small engine that dont merge into one, it can become really peaky in power placement.

This is why it used to be that everyone ran a 4 into 1 exhaust and then when we found out we could raise the power up everywhere with just a tiny loss in peak with the 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust we all jumped to that ship. Now with modern bikes reving to the stratosphere...........youll see the 4 into 1 collectors are popping up again. WHY? Because we dont need the "midrange" anymore. We need peaky power with tons of over rev. (SUPPOSEDLY but I differ with opinion on that)

So yes you can infact keep it. What I would do is find an exhaust can you like and order two of them. Cut the mid pipe off and weld up a "Y" pipe to fit and clear everything. Most other exhaust cans are "slip fit" meaning they slip over the pipe (usually 2 inch pipe) and make the new mounts. I think the old GSXR 1100 from 89-92 uses foot pegs that will bolt to your bikes subframe and provide mounting brackets for holding the muffler straps on both sides. I may even have a pair of them.

·
Ride Twins!
1,957 Posts
I was thinking of getting the same vance and hines exhaust off of ebay for my katana...

How do you like the sound? Would you be able to post up a sound clip?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx to all for your input, Suzukichik01, I know what your talking about with you comparison to the cars, i saw a guy dual a v-6 pickup, it sounded like dookie shoot, so thank you for that insight. you saved me from making a big mistake. to tell you the truth i am happy with my bike but you know us guys and the cool factor. and yes im considerin buying the kawasaki 1400 machine. thats future stuff. EMW i do like the sound, and it performs fairly well, i'll get a sound clip up soon

Chris

·
Titanium Princess
1,058 Posts
Yeah I once saw a V-6 mustang with flowmasters on it. He looked like a wanna be GT owner so bad. :eek:nfloor The car sounded like a drowning cow. I just thought to myself, if he wanted the deep rumble sound, he should have pitched in a few extra grand on the gt model. Just trying to save you some heartache and humiliation with the dual pipes on the can o tuna. :p

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
I dont see the problem..............

plenty of people buy the devil exhaust with the shotgun formation dual mufflers.............

Having two mufflers would quiet the bike down somewhat.

Youre analogy to the v6 mustang versus the v8 holds no merit.

The V6 has a different cam profile, firing order and number of cylinders and maybe the stroke as well...........so of course its going to sound different.

Stroke, cam profile, number of cylinders with firing arrangement as well as slightly timing are what dictate exhaust note...........not mufflers.

Mufflers effect what pitch its at or if its resonated.

Any inline 180degree firing order four cylinder will have a similiar sound to any other.........meaning all bikes that are inline fours will have a similiar sound. The differences are most noteably in the stroke.

Thats why a 900RR sounds like it does, its got a long stroke motor or it would sound just like its little brother the 600 f2/f3

I say if you want dual cans, make em. If nothing else, you will be original.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,883 Posts
suzukichic01 said:
That would be like putting dual pipes on a festiva. If you wanted dual cans, you should have gotten a b***** bike. Just because it looks nice doesn't mean they're intended for the smaller bikes, hence why you never see them on 600's. Be happy with what you have, and admire those you like.

Eh, Katanas before 1998 had two exhaust cans, want to change your statement?

·
Titanium Princess
1,058 Posts
Whatever, I'm not arguing about this topic. I gave my opinion, not my knowledge of mufflers. My view on the dual cans on the b***** bikes and cars was as I had previously stated. They look and sound better on b***** bikes/cars. my OPINION only.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
no one was calling you stupid for having an opinion but your example holds no merit in the realm of which we are in.

Ive posted more than enough actual data that not only should educate you but enlighten you to not be stereotypical. Use it as a tool so others dont belittle you.

no need to be defensive.

·
Registered
985 Posts
hybrid said:
Ive posted more than enough actual data that not only should educate you but enlighten you to not be stereotypical. Use it as a tool so others dont belittle you.

Not just on this thread but on most others, hybrids info is A+ with every thread or experiance ive had, he even gave me the low down on how to polish metal to a lovely shine, when i needed help about a year or so ago. :) take the knowledge and further your love for bikes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts