Sport Bikes banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Out of line? No, ballsy? Hell yes!

Telling him, "No", after his order to pull over could have ended very badly. Was he a young cop? I'd have to think some experienced jackass might have gone overboard and cited you for failing to comply with a police officer, obstructing justice, evading, who knows what stretch of the law he could have pulled out of his ass. I think I would have pulled over, asked him for a pen/paper and written down all his information. His cruiser license plate, his badge number, the name of his supervisor, which district he works for, etc. However, taking your approach, after the he got next to you again and asked what your problem was, I would have advised him to stop harrassing me or I would file a complaint.

Police officers can't just stalk you through traffic and ask you if you have problems with them. It sounds like he was attempting to intimidate. I would have commented about his illegal lane change and reported it to his dispatch. Of course, whenever I see a police cruiser doing anything illegal, I make not of the date/time and license plate and call it in when I get to my destination. Everytime you see a DSM cruiser sitting on some on-ramp with his radar gun out, you can rest assured I call it in. It's illegal for a regular motorist to stop, note: park, on an Interstate ramp just as much as it is a police officer. Police cannot break the law in order to enforce the law. It just doesn't work that way.

Everytime I see a police cruiser make a rolling stop, failure to signal, any countless number of moving violations - I report it. Weather or not he saw you wasn't what I would consider the issue. He made an illegal lane change and merged at an unsafe distance. If someone had done that to him, if he was in your position, I'm sure he would have pulled that car over and cited them.

I'm curious, what was his response, facial expressions, basically, how did he take you saying "No" to him when he ordered you to pull over? He probably doesn't hear that a lot.

But, I don't think you were out of line.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I'm curious, do the Troopers look down on the city cops as lesser in some fashion? And, by not being trooper material, does that mean they don't have experience required? Can't pass some sort of test or something? It sounds like city cops are the flunkies and Troopers are the cream of the crop. Is that the case? If so, what makes it that way?

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Funny you should mention the County/Sheriff thing. When I was 17 and in high school my parents said I should go apply to be a deputy because they were hiring, and since I had all my national level martial arts experience, I'd probably get hired. I thought to myself, "I'm 17! They'll give me a badge, let me carry a gun around? That's cool!" I went and applied, got a call back but lost interest so never followed-up. Of course, at the same time the city Police were hiring reserve police officers and were accepting high school and college aged students, too.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I just wanted a badge, to be honest with you. :) Thought it would be "cool".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts