Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im riding around tonight in FULL gear and am between Porkys and the Bowling alley with all the Harleys and don't want to stop so I decide to cruise through downtown before heading home. Am right by Cycle Clinic and roll up next to a cop at the stop light. Light turns green and I accelerate normal until speed limit (Been riding easy all night) and he decided to gun it passes me and I remain at speed limit and catch him at the next light. Turns green and he gets behind me and proceeds to follow me zig zagging all artound dowtown (we're talking in circles here). Well he is next to me at this point and his lane ends so he just freaking merges over into my lan WITHOUT signaling. Next light is red and he's nest to me. Im freakin pissed so I raise my visor and begin to lecture him as his window was down. After we exchaneg a few words he aks if I have a problem with him. My response" I have a problem with you just driving into my lane". His reply " Pull over". This is where is gets good....

I say "No". pause for a sec and say "I did nothign wrong and you have no legal reason to pull me over. If you think you do then put on your lights and I will pull over". He has no response and proceeds to get behind me and follow some more. A mile later or so after I strategically make it hard as hell for him to keep following me and using cars as pawns...he gets next to me and asks what my problem is again. I reply "See all this protection Im wearing its because of drivers like you". He's pissed now and says I saw you. I decide to let it be good enough and say "ok". andhe finallyturns a different direction. DSM Cop...IF you are reading this you are a lame asshole with small mans complex who hides behind his badge looking for a fight. :lame

I then left DSM b/c I was disgusted once again with their "finest" and rode into the country enjoying the night.

Anyone think I was out of line here?

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Out of line? No, ballsy? Hell yes!

Telling him, "No", after his order to pull over could have ended very badly. Was he a young cop? I'd have to think some experienced jackass might have gone overboard and cited you for failing to comply with a police officer, obstructing justice, evading, who knows what stretch of the law he could have pulled out of his ass. I think I would have pulled over, asked him for a pen/paper and written down all his information. His cruiser license plate, his badge number, the name of his supervisor, which district he works for, etc. However, taking your approach, after the he got next to you again and asked what your problem was, I would have advised him to stop harrassing me or I would file a complaint.

Police officers can't just stalk you through traffic and ask you if you have problems with them. It sounds like he was attempting to intimidate. I would have commented about his illegal lane change and reported it to his dispatch. Of course, whenever I see a police cruiser doing anything illegal, I make not of the date/time and license plate and call it in when I get to my destination. Everytime you see a DSM cruiser sitting on some on-ramp with his radar gun out, you can rest assured I call it in. It's illegal for a regular motorist to stop, note: park, on an Interstate ramp just as much as it is a police officer. Police cannot break the law in order to enforce the law. It just doesn't work that way.

Everytime I see a police cruiser make a rolling stop, failure to signal, any countless number of moving violations - I report it. Weather or not he saw you wasn't what I would consider the issue. He made an illegal lane change and merged at an unsafe distance. If someone had done that to him, if he was in your position, I'm sure he would have pulled that car over and cited them.

I'm curious, what was his response, facial expressions, basically, how did he take you saying "No" to him when he ordered you to pull over? He probably doesn't hear that a lot.

But, I don't think you were out of line.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm curious, what was his response, facial expressions, basically, how did he take you saying "No" to him when he ordered you to pull over?
Lets just say he was extremely frustrated. I felty like I was in a bar and some guy asked me to go outside and fight.

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
He's prolly been looking for a motorcycle, but his mom won't let him get one, so he wanted to try yours on for size. I have a problem with authority figures with a superiority complex, but I refuse to act on that (my 18-year old ass would get arrested faster than you can say "bail bonds"). Well done standing up to him and doing something I wish I could.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Law enforcement

Sorry to hear about your experience, Due to my job I am constantly working with the police. Most of them our really nice guys;however, I admit there are some that think they are here on earth to rule everyone else. Best advice I have is to steer clear of those individuals, for they will go out of their way to try and nail you.
Typically the city cops are the worse most of them are still patrolling becouse they are not trooper material and now they have a ego problem.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I'm curious, do the Troopers look down on the city cops as lesser in some fashion? And, by not being trooper material, does that mean they don't have experience required? Can't pass some sort of test or something? It sounds like city cops are the flunkies and Troopers are the cream of the crop. Is that the case? If so, what makes it that way?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive had pretty good experiences with police until last year. I just seem to keep encountering the wrong ones. I do think they profile sportbike riders

·
Registered
753 Posts
Trooper

Troopers are the most respected and priveleged officers. They have authority over the entire state (They are usually assigned to zones of which there are I think 4 in Iowa). And no experience isn't required; however, their personel records have to pretty much be spotless due to the fact that they are the representitives of the state's Department of Public Safety.
In order to become a trooper an individual must be accepted and graduate form the states accadamy class. Due to budget cutbacks the # of classes has been limited to on a couple over the last few years. Most city police once they have gotten a few years in do not want to subject themselves to another accadamy and start over at the bottom amongst the veteran troopers.
Don't get me started on County police like sherriff's and deputy's these are the worst since there is no rigid requirements on those positions other than who is your daddy (typically the sherriff with his son as deputy)

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Funny you should mention the County/Sheriff thing. When I was 17 and in high school my parents said I should go apply to be a deputy because they were hiring, and since I had all my national level martial arts experience, I'd probably get hired. I thought to myself, "I'm 17! They'll give me a badge, let me carry a gun around? That's cool!" I went and applied, got a call back but lost interest so never followed-up. Of course, at the same time the city Police were hiring reserve police officers and were accepting high school and college aged students, too.

·
Registered
753 Posts
deputy

I admit to a high schooler the prospect sounds cool. However, the pay sucks and they get no respect from regular city police. They are ranked slightly above mall security guard on the pecking order of respect.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I just wanted a badge, to be honest with you. :) Thought it would be "cool".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts