Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
More like 400 population. VERY small town. And just because I like to argue technicalities,( successfully with you I might add) doesn't make me dense.

What exactly is your opinion? What on earth could I have done that would warrant him slamming on his brakes? Even if I WAS following too close you don't do that.

And if you think I provoked it don't you think I'd put my bike on the stand first.

Think about it before expressing your opinion.
Well that's the problem here. When logic fails you attempt to turn it into an argument of technicality. That's why I tell you "DON'T READ INTO IT"(peoples post) but no you want to poke and prod like you are winning a prize (the evidence is your self patting on the shoulder up there in parenthesis)
My opinion is you are a new rider and you really don't know the rules of the road and you probably did something really stupid to piss someone off (I don't know where I could have got that idea) because if you nit pick here on a forum-then I cannot imagine you in a small town of 400.

So with that-yeah lets see the police report and until then, no need to read into peoples post and finger fuck em. There are only a handful of people here that actually print and frame their post and brag to their dog about how they showed him on the internet. We don't need another one, BUT if you must...let me introduce you to the P&R section.

·
Registered
381 Posts
About time you learned. lol

I have never followed a vehicle for 20 miles if given the opportunity to pass.

Who know's, with this nut job if you passed he may have swerved at you.
+1 I can't stand following people for that far.
I wonder if this guy was on something, or his wife just left him or something. I know my light kind of vibrates when I ride over bumps, maybe he thought you were high-beaming him every time you went over a bump?
one more reason why I run a camera almost every ride :D I hope your assault charge goes away, that's BS.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
+1 I can't stand following people for that far.
I wonder if this guy was on something, or his wife just left him or something. I know my light kind of vibrates when I ride over bumps, maybe he thought you were high-beaming him every time you went over a bump?
one more reason why I run a camera almost every ride :D I hope your assault charge goes away, that's BS.
I was just going to say that. +10 with HID's.
NOT that it's a justified reason, but I could see getting annoyed at it for miles :)

I'd just slow down to encourage you to pass me tho.
The uneducated/unaware would possibly think you were high beaming him for miles though.
I sometimes wonder if the only reason people move over on the highway while Im riding the fast lane is because my headlight looks like I'm flashing them, even as stock.
Whereas the same speed coming up on someone in my car, they don't give a fawk.

This is a crazy story

·
Registered
37 Posts
What kind of police officer would inspect your gloves after you were attacked?

"This guy tackled you off your motorcycle? He was battering you, and you defended yourself? Lemme see your gloves."

That doesn't add up. I think this might be embellished just a little bit.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm glad you are ok and your bike was not damaged to badly.
It's a good thing you were not shot.
I stop just fine, and pull up beside him to see what his problem is.
You have no idea why some one would slam on the the breaks. (unless you are clairvoyant) Maybe he say a ghost, a squirrel or his foot slipped. If you can not stop your bike faster then a truck you are WAY to close, you shouldn't even have skidded.

The moment you decided to pull up on him you started a confrontation. Look what he did was wrong by tackling you, but your actions put you in danger.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would be ticked off to if someone with a kiddy ebay hid without a proper projector was behind me for 20 miles.

I normally use my wiper washers on these douches at min.

Now if OP had a projector with a cut off shield and kept his distance, then he is excused.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've also been attacked by a drunk hill billy once (he was drunk and had road rage at the same time), he ended up having to get facial reconstructive surgery. It sucked because I had to pay for a lawyer, rely on witness testimony, etc. Definitely get a good lawyer, because you don't want something like this on your record, especially if you were just defending yourself.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Because he was driving with no proof of insurance, and he admitted to slamming on the brakes to try to get me to wreck.

I don't know why on earth I'm trying to defend myself here.I'll just post up the police report when I get it. Jeesh

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The only reason I was curious was that I have a CDL. It always scares me to here about a license being pulled.

For the reason you followed him for so long, I totally understand and I do the same! We have a shitload of Deer here. If I'm anywhere but in the city, then at night, I'm behind somebody.

As for you being possible charged with an assault because of your gloves, technically some asshole Attorney can try to introduce them as weapons.
"Your Honor, my client had only his two fists to defend himself. While the accused had armored gauntlets with vicious,flesh-raping,bone-breaking, potentially lethal pieces of *insert whatever here* that enabled him to savagely beat the defendant"

I dunno, thats how I look at it.

And about your story, We are used to stories with alot more information, that's all. The way that yours is described leads alot to interpretation which is always wrong when you don't have all the info. From an outside view, it does look weird.

And if you had one of light kits that looks like your brights are on even if they are not, then after 20 miles, I'd want to kick your ass too :)

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
First off, following someone for any length of time when there are legal passing zones is an asshole move. If you don't have the skills to safely pass someone at night, than you shouldn't be riding at night. Following behind someone for 20 miles is no excuse to attack someone, but realize that you were being an asshole.

Secondly, your story doesn't add up. My guess is that you're leaving bits of the story out.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Pulling up next to him ?? The guy could have had a medical condition ? But the fact that he got out of his truck works in your favor. Him attacking you. I hope the cops got several witnesses & got the story straight. NOT what the wife said..

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
First off, following someone for any length of time when there are legal passing zones is an asshole move. If you don't have the skills to safely pass someone at night, than you shouldn't be riding at night. Following behind someone for 20 miles is no excuse to attack someone, but realize that you were being an asshole.

Secondly, your story doesn't add up. My guess is that you're leaving bits of the story out.
What if they both only wanted to go the speed limit?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Pulling up next to him ?? The guy could have had a medical condition ?
Thank you, this ran through my head when it happened. When I am doing nothing wrong my first thought is not going to be "oh this guy is mad at me". No, I'm thinking there is something wrong with him or the truck

Yes, wth is with all if these comments "I should have passed him". I fail to see how you are logically coming to the conclusion that I was at fault (or instigated this) for for abiding by the speed limit and legally following behind someone.

I am not trying to portray myself a saint, I do my fair share of speeding on the roads. But just because I choose to follow the speed limit at night doesn't mean I am unable to or am not skilled enough to pass at night.

There was absolutely 0 reason to pass this guy. Given his demeanor, he may have tried to run me off the road if I did, who knows. I do have hid lights, they MAY have annoyed the guy, but all he had to do was pull over and I'd be gone.

I chose not to be detailed in my first post because, honestly, I wasnt aware I was on trial here. Had i known I was going to have to testify in my thread, I would have been more detailed.

Anyway, I spoke to the sheriff today, the report wont be available till mid next week. But I am cleared, and the other guy is being charged with assault 2nd degree, due to witness reports and previous criminal history.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Eh some people been riding long enough to know you don't ride up someones ass-thats a gimme.
But riding up someones ass AND for a lengthy amount of time is kinda a no no by common sense but it still isnt against the law.

Usually CDL'S are pulled AFTER you are found guilty not before (and even then its not a matter of "just pulling"). Doesn't help that the Op didn't mention if the driver was driving a tractor trailer or pick up-just "truck". If the person was driving a pick-up truck and not in the capacity of driving a tractor trailer-I cannot see how this infraction (insert offense here) could apply. Assault is not a moving violation and well...again this is AR so maybe your laws are a little "different".

Just funny how you make it sound like he "just attacked you" and didn't say anything..ROFL. Who the fuck does that? But then again who rides ass for miles....Cant wait to read the report.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Eh some people been riding long enough to know you don't ride up someones ass-thats a gimme.
But riding up someones ass AND for a lengthy amount of time is kinda a no no by common sense but it still isnt against the law.

I was NOT "up his ass". I have 30k miles on one bike and 50k miles on my other bike, currently. I likely ride more in a month that MOST do in a year.

Usually CDL'S are pulled AFTER you are found guilty not before (and even then its not a matter of "just pulling"). Doesn't help that the Op didn't mention if the driver was driving a tractor trailer or pick up-just "truck". If the person was driving a pick-up truck and not in the capacity of driving a tractor trailer-I cannot see how this infraction (insert offense here) could apply. Assault is not a moving violation and well...again this is AR so maybe your laws are a little "different".
And you know this how?

Cdls CAN be pulled for moving violations or in this case, intentionally slamming on ones brakes in the hopes it will cause me to wreck. This point was confirmed by the driver at the scene and coupled with his lack of proof of insurance( as previously stated) it was a no brainer to take his cdl until a time that it can be investigated.

Just funny how you make it sound like he "just attacked you" and didn't say anything..ROFL. Who the fuck does that? But then again who rides ass for miles....Cant wait to read the report.

Because you can hear someone loud and clear with a RR bike running and a helmet on.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
I was NOT "up his ass". I have 30k miles on one bike and 50k miles on my other bike, currently. I likely ride more in a month that MOST do in a year.
Because people normally do not slam on brakes for no reason and of course this statement

He claimed I was following too close. If I was, I would have rear ended him, but I didn't. Although I'm sure a sport bike behind you for 20 miles would annoy someone from the sound alone.(even tho I have an Akra). I don't pass cars at night.

And you know this how?
Because I am a Texas Peace Officer-since 94 but then again that isn't Texas however CDLs follow the same general rule of the road considering its purpose.

Cdls CAN be pulled for moving violations or in this case, intentionally slamming on ones brakes in the hopes it will cause me to wreck. This point was confirmed by the driver at the scene and coupled with his lack of proof of insurance( as previously stated) it was a no brainer to take his cdl until a time that it can be investigated.

Because you can hear someone loud and clear with a RR bike running and a helmet on.
No, CDLs can be pulled for a number of reasons WHILE in operation of a tractor trailer but for "slamming on the brakes" in a POV in hopes it will cause you wreck..and then the guy supposedly admits it...what is that charge that he was charged with aside from assault? He could have been avoiding a **** on the road-dude could say anything but to admit guilt would be rare to me (then again that's AR)no proof of insurance...again doesn't mean he is guilty of not being financially responsible.

basically at the end of the day, it really sounds dramatic...but again what kind of laws do you have up there where the officer is the judge jury and executioner on the side of a road based on a witness statement?

Anyway-im just really curious about this-kinda like a movie with a twist...Usually people are allowed to defend themselves in a court of law before being found guilty on the side of a roadway. Taking a CDL AND arresting the person for Assault makes no sense.

Last but not least...you took pics of everything except the aggressor and his truck....lol

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Unless they both left a traffic light together, than he had to be traveling faster than the truck in order to fall in behind the truck. Even if they both left the same place, I would either speed up or slow down a couple mph in order not to be riding someone's ass. First off, as I said earlier, following someone that you can readily and legally pass is an asshole move. I think either passing them or falling behind a bit is common courtesy. Secondly, I think following behind a truck is more dangerous than having open road ahead of you. You can't see what's ahead of you very well because the truck blocks your line of view. You also can't see what's ahead on the road surface as well.

I get really annoyed with followers on the road. I don't know how many times I've had someone come up behind me on the highway (thus traveling faster than me), and then start riding my ass. I'll slow down a bit for them to pass, and they're content to slow down with me. I'll speed up and they stay with me. I'm not saying this is what the OP was doing, but it's not all that uncommon.

Yes, wth is with all if these comments "I should have passed him". I fail to see how you are logically coming to the conclusion that I was at fault (or instigated this) for for abiding by the speed limit and legally following behind someone.
I don't think anyone is saying that you deserved to be attacked for following. However, several people are pointing out the error in following behind another driver for miles (assuming you can safely and legally pass, of course).

I am not trying to portray myself a saint, I do my fair share of speeding on the roads. But just because I choose to follow the speed limit at night doesn't mean I am unable to or am not skilled enough to pass at night.
You said "I don't pass cars at night." That led me to believe that you lack the skills and/or are afraid to do so. Saying that you don't pass at night is different than saying that you follow the speed limit at night.

There was absolutely 0 reason to pass this guy. Given his demeanor, he may have tried to run me off the road if I did, who knows. I do have hid lights, they MAY have annoyed the guy, but all he had to do was pull over and I'd be gone.
You didn't know his demeanor until after he slammed his brakes on. So, this logically isn't a reason for you not to pass him. See my reply to Unconnected above. I gave two good reasons to not ride his ass.

I chose not to be detailed in my first post because, honestly, I wasnt aware I was on trial here. Had i known I was going to have to testify in my thread, I would have been more detailed.

Anyway, I spoke to the sheriff today, the report wont be available till mid next week. But I am cleared, and the other guy is being charged with assault 2nd degree, due to witness reports and previous criminal history.
It's not so much that you weren't detailed, as it sounds like you are being intentionally misleading and leaving crucial details out; maybe an exaggeration of the facts, who knows. I wasn't there, but I can spot a story that just doesn't add up from a mile away.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts