Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Ive been lurking these forums for a couple months now and subscribed today to get some advice. I got a 09 ninja 500r a month and a half ago and low sided it this past weekend going about 30-35mph. I am thankful I am fine and did not get injured aside from a little road rash but cant say the same for my bike. Van cut me off and turned into my lane so my reaction was to go into the other lane not taking account into the curve that was coming up in the road. Due to my inexperience I wasnt able to make the curve successfully.

While I do have insurance on the bike I do not have collision because it was a 1700 premium on a 2900 dollar bike.

Wanted some info on what you guys think my repair costs might be. The bike stayed on for a little bit after it went down than shut off. I stood it up and could not get it to start so walked it home as I was only a block away. My left fairing broke off and was hoping to see if you guys can inform me on some major damage to the frame/mechanics.

I know the fairings will cost me quite a bit but I am more worried about getting it up and running again before worrying about cosmetics.

This is the fairing that broke off. Think I would be able to attach it back to the upper headlight cover.

And the non impacted side.

·
Registered
971 Posts
You might be able to repair some of that with heat welding or ABS plastic glue. For the plastics you can't repair, check ebay. You may get lucky on some pieces. I'd check eBay for replacement mirrors and a shift lever if yours is bent badly (shift level looked OK to me). Depends on how pristine you want to try and make her. Everything in the pictures looks 'cosmetic' to me.

Have you tried to start it since the crash? My first guess is the gas poured out of the carb bowls and she flooded. She'll probably start now, though it might take a few seconds of turning over the starter to get the carbs to reprime. Don't run the starter more than 10 seconds or so at a time and giver it some time to cool off between attempts; you do not want the starter to burn out.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have had quite a bit of success drilling holes in broken fairings and using zip ties to stitch them back together. It doesn't look great, but it holds up pretty damn well.

Sorry to hear about yoru get-off, btw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried to start it to no success. If the costs to repair mechanics are too much than i will zip tie. If not much is damaged than I will try to repair the upper fairing and replace the tail cover. Dont know how well replacing the upper fairing will be or if I will have to replace it and paint.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Check the kickstand area. There is a sensor there that has to read that the kickstand is up for the bike to start. Could be that is damaged.

I think some bikes will start in neutral with the kickstand down. Have you tried putting it in neutral to start?

One last thought, are you sure the kill switch is set to run?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check the kickstand area. There is a sensor there that has to read that the kickstand is up for the bike to start. Could be that is damaged.

I think some bikes will start in neutral with the kickstand down. Have you tried putting it in neutral to start?

One last thought, are you sure the kill switch is set to run?
I don't really know if the sensor is damaged or how to check it but I have been trying to start it in neutral and the bike does turn on if the kick stand is down if it is in neutral. And how would I check if the kill switch is set to run? Thanks for your help btw.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The kill switch is the red switch on the right hand grip area.

Only two positions. On and Off. If you're not familiar with it, this could be your issue.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I don't really know if the sensor is damaged or how to check it but I have been trying to start it in neutral and the bike does turn on if the kick stand is down if it is in neutral.
OK, so kickstand down, bike in neutral. You turn the key to on and set the kill switch/engine cut off switch to run. You hit the start button and... what happens? Nothing? A click? The engine turns over, but won't fire?

That bike might have a tip over switch/sensor. It could be that hasn't reset from the crash. You should be able to cut the key switch on and off and on and off to reset it. If you have the owners manual it might tell you how to reset it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts