Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a replacement swingarm for my F4 because the original one is dented from a previous accident. Since it's not on the bike yet, I was thinking that it might be a good time to drill and tap some holes for installing spools.

The problem is that I don't have a stand for spools yet.

So, several issues.

#1 is there a stand that I can use with my F4 that is the correct width?
#2 where should I put the spools?
#3 where can I get spools?
#4 is there anything I'm not thinking about?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
wct097 said:
So I've got a replacement swingarm for my F4 because the original one is dented from a previous accident. Since it's not on the bike yet, I was thinking that it might be a good time to drill and tap some holes for installing spools.

The problem is that I don't have a stand for spools yet.

So, several issues.

#1 is there a stand that I can use with my F4 that is the correct width?
#2 where should I put the spools?
#3 where can I get spools?
#4 is there anything I'm not thinking about?
As much as I like my spooled stand, I wouldn't suggest drilling and tapping holes in your swingarm. When these features are designed into a cast aluminum part, there is enough strength and material put into that location of the part to accept the spools. You'd be taking a chance that your new swingarm would be weakened by the putting in a threaded hole big enough for spools. Plus, the thickness of the material may not be there for enough threads to properly hold the spool. My $0.02.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was worried about that too.... I think I remember reading somewhere how people who did this drilled a larger hole and installed inserts through the swingarm in which they installed the spools.

Done that way, I think stregnth shouldn't be a problem.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
not worth it, just buy a stand w/ pads vs. spooled type. pitbull stands.

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
pitbull sells tabs that get welded to the bottom of the swing arm so you can install spools. they have them in both steel and alum.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've already got a padded stand and I don't like it. Been wanting a better quality one, but can't justify it as mine does the job.

I'll look into the LP kit and the PB kit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a PitBull stand that works for spools and has pads. It's flawless.

·
Registered
681 Posts
wct097 said:
I've already got a padded stand and I don't like it. Been wanting a better quality one, but can't justify it as mine does the job.
That makes no sense! You have a stand you don't like yet does the job BUT you want a better stand that costs more yet you can't justify the price? WTF?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is so hard to understand? I have a stand with pads. I don't like it, but while I don't like it, I can't justify spending more money to get the same exact function. At least with spools I get an improvement over pads as it is more fitted and I don't have to worry about the pads scuffing up my swingarm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
wct097 said:
What is so hard to understand? I have a stand with pads. I don't like it, but while I don't like it, I can't justify spending more money to get the same exact function. At least with spools I get an improvement over pads as it is more fitted and I don't have to worry about the pads scuffing up my swingarm.

I dont like it... I dont like it... Geez, you want to drill, tap,and add inserts just because you dont like it? Does it hold the bike up?
It scuffs the underside of your swingarm? is it a polished swingarm? put some felt strips on the pads and call it a day.

:lame

·
Registered
138 Posts
freeride said:
I have a PitBull stand that works for spools and has pads. It's flawless.
+1. The PitBull SS rear stand can be used with spooled or non-spooled swingarms. My bike has no spools, so I use the pads. The pads on the PitBull are adjustable for width and are sheathed in rubber/plastic - both to protect your bike and to prevent slipping. The metal never actually touches your swingarm. I've never scratched my swingarm placing it on the stand. Also, the wheels on the PitBull are large and sturdy which makes it a breeze to get your bike up, even on rough ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts