Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Nothing wrong with Can Am except they take all the disadvantages of a car and all the disadvantages of a bike and roll them all up into one.

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
Interesting that you put it that way, steingar. I rented one for fun and that describes it perfectly.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Interesting that you put it that way, steingar. I rented one for fun and that describes it perfectly.
Could I afford it I'd buy one for winter riding (I have really good motorcycle parking where I work). But that's about the only reason. Rather have a side-car rig, but I can't afford one of those either.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Apparently with all the electronic controls,abs/stability ,anti dive geometry,inherent balance etc.,they're very hard to get into trouble for a novice-relatively speaking of course and will compensate for a lot of riding errors.That said,it's always amazed me that up here you can take your motorcycle test on one so therefore can get your motorcycle license and no clue as to how to ride one.:headscrtch

Btw,who cares about Drew Brees.We just need to look after Stafford. :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Could I afford it I'd buy one for winter riding (I have really good motorcycle parking where I work). But that's about the only reason. Rather have a side-car rig, but I can't afford one of those either.
I like these,can get them in reg or 2wd(sidecar powered) There are a few running around here and they're reasonably priced and reliable-according to the owners I've talked to_One couple tours on theirs.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
I love me some Ural siderigs but can they top 60mph yet?

·
Registered
284 Posts
If I were being paid a couple million a year and have the option to buy exotic cars that could keep up with the super sport bikes on the road, I could possibly forgo motorcycles. Or make the NFL buy me a Lamborghini Aventador and jet skis in exchange to not ride bikes.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I don't see why the DMV lets you take a Motorcycle exam on one. it's not a Motorcycle.
Because government. Legally, it's a motorcycle, therefore legally you can (and must) get a motorcycle license to ride one, therefore you can take your test on one. Government does not have to make sense to anyone but itself, and it usually doesn't.

PhilB

Reactions: Luvin' Twins

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
http://i.word.com/idictionary/motorcycle

We all know how detailed they love to make their rules but ignore the definition in this case.

The problem is they give someone a motorcycle endorsement and they didn't have to prove their competency on a 2 wheeled motorcycle.
All they really had to do is pass the written part to get the endorsement. It makes it a unfair playing field to someone doing the test on 2 wheels. The only thing you have to prove is you can stop and go on a trike

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
a) I agreed it doesn't make sense. The REASON it doesn't make sense is that government doesn't make sense.
b) Note that it's not like the test for 2-wheelers proves competency either, so from that standpoint it doesn't really make any difference.
c) Pretty much all the 3-wheelers on the market are expensive, so the "problem" of beginning riders testing on a Can-Am Spyder and then switching to 2-wheelers is probably non-existent in real life.
d) If what you're actually going to be doing is riding a trike, then competency on a 2-wheeler is irrelevant and just an unnecessary obstacle to getting licensed to ride your 3-wheeler.
e) Especially if the reason you're on a 3-wheeler is that you are unable (medically or otherwise) to ride a 2-wheeler.
f) The whole licensing and all of that in this country is just a way for state governments to extract fees and taxes, and keep track of people -- it doesn't do shit for safety and never has, and we'd be better off scrapping the whole thing.

PhilB

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Motorcycle - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

We all know how detailed they love to make their rules but ignore the definition in this case.

The problem is they give someone a motorcycle endorsement and they didn't have to prove their competency on a 2 wheeled motorcycle.
All they really had to do is pass the written part to get the endorsement. It makes it a unfair playing field to someone doing the test on 2 wheels. The only thing you have to prove is you can stop and go on a trike
Taking the test on two wheels doesn't mean you can ride a motorcycle either. It just means you can do the bare minimum to pass the test. Give most people a motorcycle and a day of practice and they'd be able to pass it as well. 95% of my learning has come from time spent in the saddle. I learned a bit from MSF courses and track days... But in reality, the more I ride, the more I learn.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I like these,can get them in reg or 2wd(sidecar powered) There are a few running around here and they're reasonably priced and reliable-according to the owners I've talked to_One couple tours on theirs.
New they run 12 grand, which doesn't fit the Steingar definition of affordable. They're Russian, so I have strong doubts about their reliability. All that, and no way could I fit one in the garages of Steinholme. Think I'll pass on that one, though many thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If I were being paid a couple million a year and have the option to buy exotic cars that could keep up with the super sport bikes on the road, I could possibly forgo motorcycles. Or make the NFL buy me a Lamborghini Aventador and jet skis in exchange to not ride bikes.
Wait what? Why do you even need to keep up with the supersports on the road? They shouldn't be going that fast on the road. On the track, that's a different story. :scaredpanda

1 - 16 of 16 Posts