Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went down to this twisty road I like to ride. It was also the first ride with my new leather jacket so I had a little bit more confidence. Well anyway, I scraped my toe in a sweet left-hander. I had the balls of my feet on the pegs where they are supposed to be, so I don't really think it was poor foot position. And I don't consider myself to have enormous feet (size 13) either. I was wondering if this happens to alot of riders and if I should do something to prevent it from happening again. It feels awesome and I can't wait until I'm draggin' knee but I just want to make sure that this won't lead to any problems. My suspension is set up for my weight too so it's not like my 230lb ass is crushing the suspension too much.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i've done that a few times on my zx7.. and most of the guys I ride with can do it too..

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Hell I toe-drag on my 500.... :lol I know there's really nothing I can do about it besides something ridiculous like a whole new shift lever and relocating it and blah blah....so I just remove my foot from under the shifter, pivot it over the shifter on my heel, and hold it there until I clear, then rock it back down under. Then you just gotta worry about scraping peg....but if you're scraping PEG...you're leaned over way too far for the street. :twofinger

·
Registered
152 Posts
it used to happen all the time when i had my stock footpegs. hey, troy bayliss drags toe all the time!!!

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Yeah, really the best way to keep from dragging toe is to get aftermarket rearsets (which I would hardly call ridiculous) that move the position up 1" and back 1"

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
like firefighter81 said, get some rearsets if it becomes a problem and that should fix it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
21 natas said:
like firefighter81 said, get some rearsets if it becomes a problem and that should fix it.

hehe he said he just got a new leather jacket I'm guessing he's not using leather pants with pucks yet.

What ever rearset you use remember to keep your feet about the ball of your feet and for me I keep wiggling them into position if I get moved around while extending my knee.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
Yeah, I drag my toes all the time and I'm all the way on the pegs. I always wonder what I look like in that kind of lean where I touch my toes...anyone have a pic?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I'll wait until I get my next bike to install some aftermarket rear-sets. Hopefully, the 9r will be gone by next season and if that's the case, I will put some money into the rc51 I plan on buying. Yes, I'm counting my chickens before they hatch but I'm pretty confident it will work out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did you say a size 13 foot...........

Anyway, on the track bike I thought I did a quick cheap easy fix, got Riser plates put on. Helped a little bit but even with my size 8 foot, I can still drag a little toe in certain corners. Next purchase over the winter is rear sets.

·
Registered
200 Posts
bpmull said:
Today I went down to this twisty road I like to ride. It was also the first ride with my new leather jacket so I had a little bit more confidence. Well anyway, I scraped my toe in a sweet left-hander. I had the balls of my feet on the pegs where they are supposed to be, so I don't really think it was poor foot position. And I don't consider myself to have enormous feet (size 13) either. I was wondering if this happens to alot of riders and if I should do something to prevent it from happening again. It feels awesome and I can't wait until I'm draggin' knee but I just want to make sure that this won't lead to any problems. My suspension is set up for my weight too so it's not like my 230lb ass is crushing the suspension too much.

I was dragging my toe around a corner but only because I had my heel on the peg. As soon as I moved it to the ball of my foot I could drag my knee on the track without hitting anything else.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Yeah, really the best way to keep from dragging toe is to get aftermarket rearsets (which I would hardly call ridiculous) that move the position up 1" and back 1"
Ohh, I didn't mean ridiculous for YOU guys, just ridiculous for me. Aftermarket rearsets on a 500? HAHAHA.... :twofinger No thanks.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
HalfLiterBeater said:
Ohh, I didn't mean ridiculous for YOU guys, just ridiculous for me. Aftermarket rearsets on a 500? HAHAHA.... :twofinger No thanks.
Well, don't tell that to the entire community of Ninja 500 racers out there. They race your bike, with some suspension work and a few other little things, nothing major, and do very well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i used to scrap my pegs all the dang time when i had my ninja500....i also always wondered what i look like when i'm taking a turn..hmmm

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Unless the 500 has really short pegs, I would imagine it would be impossible to drag a toe before a peg feeler if your feet are really positioned properly. Not only on the balls of you feet, but with the feet pushed all the way in up against the guard.

Plus, you should be shifting weight (hanging off) enough to prevent dragging hard parts. Especially bad idea on the street.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Well yeah, I ALWAYS dragged toe on my 500 before I hit peg. I had the ball of my heel on the peg and my toe tucked underneath the shift lever. I don't know WHY I always caught toe first...mightve unconsciously moved my foot down when I entered, not sure.

Oh and I'm not talking smack about the 500s...I know there are a lot of guys who race them, I've seen the boards..posted a few questions on them. Just for me, in my financial situation, it's not worth it to modify a 500. It's more like a toy. Plus my car gave me a "need for speed", and right now my bike will cut a quicker ET, but a slower trap than the car. What does that tell me? Time for a faster bike!

·
Registered
207 Posts
HalfLiterBeater said:
Well yeah, I ALWAYS dragged toe on my 500 before I hit peg. I had the ball of my heel on the peg and my toe tucked underneath the shift lever. I don't know WHY I always caught toe first...mightve unconsciously moved my foot down when I entered, not sure.
Is that the right way to position your feet while riding? That doesn't seem right to me, it puts your foot quite a bit lower than the peg and so if/when you touch your toe to the ground it will move your foot upwards causing you to upshift. That's why I put the ball of my toe on my peg while turning.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
I'm sure it isn't right...I just always kept my foot in the ready-to-upshift position because I liked to go through the corners in a very low gear which required very quick upshifting after the corner exit so I didnt overrev.... I'm no pro...I just like to bang it around now and again on some back roads. Either way, I don't take corners like that anymore due to the toe thing. I slip my foot out from underneath now, and get it back there as quick as I can when I start to straighten it out...although that's a problem sometimes because my "riding shoes" arent; theyre semi dress leather shoes with fairly slick tops...I've missed shifts before cause they slip right off the shift lever.

They dont make riding shoes around here in half sizes, so I'm SCREWED. Got one 9 1/2 foot, one 11 foot, so I have to compromise at 10 1/2.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts