Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been a while since I've made the trip down to Great lakes to get a few passes in. I'm due for some new rubber on the R6 so I figure a few burnouts would be a good way to finish 'em off. I wouldn't mind seeing what the '03 can do too.

If it's the same as last year, it's $10 to watch or $25 for unlimited runs. The place opens up at 6pm and that's the time to get most of your runs in as it can get pretty crowded as the night goes on. I would be trailering the bike down since it isn't street legal at this point, but anyone interested in meeting up around 5:15pm at the rawson ave. park 'n ride (west/south side one)?

If you haven't been before, it's a fun way to burn off some steam legally and relatively safely. As for gear, if you trap over 121mph (i think), you'll need full leathers. A decent rider on a 600 and anyone on a b***** displacement bike will hit that by the end of the night. If you stay below that, over the ankle boots (work boots), gloves, jacket, helmet, and jeans are all you need. Post up with any other questions you might have and I'll answer the best I can.

So yea... Let's go race!!!

·
That's factory, yo!
3,666 Posts
Rogue6 said:
A decent rider on a 600
...but Andy, are you a decent rider???

I might be in... I'll see what I'm up for following Putnam.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Come on Murf99, think you got what it takes to go fast in a straight line? Any sucka can go around corners.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I saw Murff in the corners :banana, I might be in for that otherwise it will BFR at the end of the month. I will be out there all weekend so if anyone wants to learn the fast lines look me up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Tuesday....Culvers....Dragstrip.....Culvers......Dragstrip. Ok it is time to do something different for Tuesday.
Count me in. But I'll have to meet you at the track. I usually get home between 5 and 5:30. Switch clothes and bikes and I'll be there. I'll bring the black Ninja to see what it can do.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweetness.

Now who else wants to go fast on there bike? You get to make cars look silly at the same time too!

·
No Whammy No Whammy STOP!
1,752 Posts
Yeah, but they dont let bikes race cars.

Anyways, Im out. Bike in Wisconsin, pilot in Illinois.

And no, Im not letting anyone else race it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think I'll be there. Plans change alot. Let you know for sure on monday.

·
Registered
319 Posts
This sounds cool. I'll be there with a couple of friends. I'm not dragging the Gixxer, but I might do the comedy "Kawasaki KZ440" option.

Also, thread stickied because it would be cool if we could get a good SBN turnout.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
if you're on a bike that can break 120 in the 1/4, i've been told (by GLD staff) that you'll need leather from head to toe.

otherwise, i go and try to pull of either full 1/4 wheelies or drive the shit out of it and see if I can get 9's.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As for the leather, they are VERY lenient down there. If you have some "fashion" leather pants (very thin leather, not all that protective), they will let you run no problem. So for any of you rock stars out there, you are in luck!

·
$460 gets a Japbike
676 Posts
I'm gonna try and make it, I can get a bike for it so I might just have to see if I can do better on 2 than I did on 4, Andy call up and see me Monday night at Sbucks we'll arange a time to meet and ride out, oh wait you'll be trailering the bike right.... Either way stop by.

·
Registered
605 Posts
call and see..I think all bikes need a tether, their rules. If you wait and goto the RSD on the 14th all you need is the tether, not full leathers.

·
$460 gets a Japbike
676 Posts
2002 Busa SE said:
call and see..I think all bikes need a tether, their rules. If you wait and goto the RSD on the 14th all you need is the tether, not full leathers.
Nope used to work there, during fun runs all you need is leather jacket, helmet, gloves, jeans and above ankle boots for sub 120mph runs, over 120 you need leather pants also.

Note, riding pants such as Fox pants whether they are rated or not do not qualify. Trust me I have seen the damage that can be done to guys who think they qualify......
Here's a story, I was running the line last year, and a guy on a Busa had Fox pants on, he went over 120, and I told him they don't qualify, he argued the toss with the owners and they let him run, his next pass he lost it about 100yds from the finish line, the bike and him slid out, very little damage to the bike, but his legs were not a pretty sight after, the so called kevlar protection in them just shredded and he suffered. He tried to blame it on the track being greasy, when we investigated the scene we found coolant on the track from his bike as it over heated and came out of the overflow onto his back wheel. So a nother good peice of advice is to make sure your bike is running safe and no chance of anything going wrong is covered, and whether you like it or not, if you have them, ride safe and were full leathers no matter what, even a slide at 70mph will shred your jeans and you like a cheese grater.
Ride safe....

·
Registered
605 Posts
I know for a fact that on RSD night...all you need is a tether and the usual helmet, gloves, jacket and leather shoes. So same track different rules just because of the name..Real street drags Vs a regular T+T night.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey UK, what's your number? Shoot me a pm and I'll be sure and let you know when I am leaving.

·
$460 gets a Japbike
676 Posts
I dont know it LOL, it's Dave cell phone. Just shoot me an IM through AOL.....

·
$460 gets a Japbike
676 Posts
2002 Busa SE said:
I know for a fact that on RSD night...all you need is a tether and the usual helmet, gloves, jacket and leather shoes. So same track different rules just because of the name..Real street drags Vs a regular T+T night.
Real streets use the same rules, the're just lax because of the lack of time results on the board, no one knows apart from the timing guy and your self what people run, I know when I ran real streets I still enforced the leathers rule for bikes over 120, it was the tracks call, but they always stood by the starters decision.
These are the actual rules, though these are generally fully enforced under race conditions, apart from the leathers rule.

Motorcycle Safety Requirements Race conditions

* Chain guard and clutch covers required on all entries
* Lanyard kill switch for vehicles running 10.99 or quicker or faster than 120 mph.
* Tank mounted fuel shutoff for vehicles running 9.99 or faster
* Twenty (20) inch handlebars
* Nitrous Oxide permitted on bikes running 9.99 or faster. All nitrous bikes must have thumb (butterfly) body fasteners. All body fasteners must allow removal by hand without the use of hand tools. Purge lines must point away from the rider.
* Front and rear brakes on all entries
* Snell 90M or newer helmet, full face shield or goggles, leather or Kevlar jacket, over the ankle shoes or boots and leather gloves required for all riders.
* Riders running 10.99 or quicker, or faster than 120 MPH, must wear leather or Kevlar pants. Driver's suit meeting SFI 40.1/2 specifications recommended.
* IHRA Motorcycle Competition License required for riders going 9.99 or quicker
* "Snap-Back" throttle required on all motorcycles
* In 2006 all nitrous assisted motorcycles, regardless of elapsed time, shall be required to install an approved Engine Containment System.
* Valid state motorcycle operator's license
* Check current IHRA Rule Book for additional requirements and specifications.

Motorcycles Street Conditions

* No slicks allowed. Street tires required (DOT Approved racing tires acceptable). No bald tires allowed.
* Open exhaust not allowed.
* .500 Full Tree using manual start.
* Vehicles must comply with safety and equipment requirements as outlined by the current IHRA Rule Book.
* Motorcycles must be street legal and able to pass state safety inspection.
* Nitrous oxide permitted and must be installed according to the provisions outlined in the current IHRA Rule Book.
* Valid state motorcycle operator's license required. Learner's permits are not acceptable.
* Full face Snell M90 or M95 helmet required.
* Leather jacket and gloves.
* Over the ankle leather shoes or boots.
* Leather pants required on all motorcycles running either 10.99 or quicker or 120 MPH or faster.
* Kill switch and lanyard required on all motorcycles running 10.99 or quicker or 120 MPH or faster.
* All motorcycles and snowmobiles must have a permanent style competition number plate attached to the right side of the vehicle.
* In 2006 all nitrous assisted motorcycles, regardless of elapsed time, shall be required to install an approved Engine Containment System on their vehicle.

·
$460 gets a Japbike
676 Posts
Again unless GLD has changed their ruling system and enforcement the tether, Kill switch is not enforced as much as it should be. They generally only care about it on full race bikes, not street bikes.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Tether is looked for more then full leathers..from what Ive seen. either way..the 120 MPH rule applies..so any 600 would fit the rule. Just look at the pics from the track..busa guys running with jeans on..WIR follows the same rules, and my buddy couldnt race because he didnt have a tether, no mention of full leathers, he screwed a screw in his stock switch with a shoe-string and they passed him. All Im saying is might as well get a tether instead of making a trip and finding out you cant run.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts