Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I like white pants
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first problem with the bike seems to be while downshifting under 25 MPH say from 4th to 1st without letting the clutch out doesnt happen. I am being firm with the lever and the clutch is all the way in but it seems to get stuck and I have to let the clutch out and then it pops into gear again.

I had this problem with my old (and I mean old) '76 Yamaha but is this a common thing with all bikes or should I consider taking it in for a warranty check?

P.S. I havent even transfered the warranty over I might have to actually do that. . .I was hoping no problems would arise!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine sort of does that too. I've noticed it most during panic stops in 3rd or 4th... after stopping I've got to cycle the gears down to 1st. Sometimes it gets stuck in 2nd or neutral and I've got to pull the clutch out a bit to get it to bite, then downshift again.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
netboog said:
My first problem with the bike seems to be while downshifting under 25 MPH say from 4th to 1st without letting the clutch out doesnt happen. I am being firm with the lever and the clutch is all the way in but it seems to get stuck and I have to let the clutch out and then it pops into gear again.

I had this problem with my old (and I mean old) '76 Yamaha but is this a common thing with all bikes or should I consider taking it in for a warranty check?

P.S. I havent even transfered the warranty over I might have to actually do that. . .I was hoping no problems would arise!
A common bike thing, just let the clutch out a bit between downshifts.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yep, just like them other guys said...

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
It's the type of transmission that bikes have.

Besides, you should be downshifting and hitting each gear, to ensure you're in the proper gear, just in case.

·
Registered
803 Posts
This problem, at least on my bike, has gotten better with milage. It would get stuck ever other time I down shifted when it was brand new, I'm real close to 3k now and it happens every so often. I also figured out that if you don't try to go from 3rd or 4th to 1st in the span of a second it make a difference.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
One thing that works when downshifting without de-clutching is to be deliberate with the left foot. Be quick and use a stomping motion on the pedal.

·
I like white pants
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn you would think that someone would have the brains enough to think of something to fix this in 29 years. . .Eh.

And dont nominate me to invent something either! :lao

·
Registered
145 Posts
Must be a yamaha thing... I can go from 6-1 on my bike at 25 with no problems...

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
This is a trait of a sequential transmission.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am confused because my bike doesn't have this problem at all. I always shift down at stop lights without letting out the clutch between gears. I just tap it down deliberately until it's back in first. When you are taping it down do you let your foot up between each tap all the way? Also, are you slowing enough? It won't downshift for me past a certain point unless I am going pretty slow.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
fizzygrrl said:
I am confused because my bike doesn't have this problem at all. I always shift down at stop lights without letting out the clutch between gears. I just tap it down deliberately until it's back in first. When you are taping it down do you let your foot up between each tap all the way? Also, are you slowing enough? It won't downshift for me past a certain point unless I am going pretty slow.
I'll repeat it, NEVER coast to a stop. ALWAYS downshift accordingly. It's MUCH safer should you ever need to get out of the way in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
scorpion12 said:
Must be a yamaha thing... I can go from 6-1 on my bike at 25 with no problems...
My, previous, Honda would do this if I just tried to click down gears without declutching. Don't think its a "Yamaha" thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a '82 450 Night hawk, Honda, did the same thing. Also, my Dad had a '78 or 79' Yamaha 750 Special did the same thing. Just have to get used to it I guess, my FZ6 does the same. More anoying than anything else.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
rennsport said:
This is a trait of a sequential transmission.
Agreed. I aksed the technician at a repair shop and he told me that the gears are a constant mesh and when you slow down to much without downshifting first they have trouble meshing together.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My old YZF600r get's it's gears stuff.. my current FZ6 gets stuck.. my friends R6 get's stuck. I"m used to it now.. it's become second nature to me... bike is fine.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have never ran into this unless i was in second at a complete stop. I have had this on my yamaha 4-wheeler though.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had to stop my FZ6 rather quickly from 50-0 and forgot to downshift from 4th. DOH! I thought I was screwed, but oddly enough, I was able to tap it all the way down from fourth to first while rolling forward at about 4-5MPH with the clutch in the whole time. Did I just get lucky with that one, or is that speed enough to keep the tranny parts moving enough to allow downshifting?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts