Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So over the past 3 weeks, I have looked at many bikes and have narrowed my choices down to the two following bikes which are both original owner bikes as I have realized a salvaged is not for me and I do not want a bike that has had multiple owners as the chances of the bike being mistreated goes up with each additional owner since the value of the bike, by market and owner, goes down:

2013 ZX6R w/ABS for $7000 (1,200 miles). 5 mo warranty left. White/black and all stock. Owner is a confirmed Kawi employee who likely got it at a discounted rate, if not free.

2011 ZX6R for $5,500 (9,300 miles). 2 years and 3 month warranty left. It is in your Kawi green/black. 28 year old owner, going through a divorce, living with mom again with 2 small kids. Has to get rid of everything. This one has a ton of mods and motorcycle tools including:

"Double Bubble Windshield, ZX6R Grips, zx6r Brake Reservoir Cover, RSC Stunt Clutch and Aftermarket Shortie Brake Handle, Rear Cowl, Annorita Quickshifter, X-Tre, Power Commander V, M4 exhaust with both silencers, -1/+2 gearing, Speedohealer, HID headlights, Q3 tires less than 300 miles on, Woodcraft frame sliders, Tank Grips, the original Ohlins Steering Damper, all the original parts, oil for oil change, rear pitball stand, front axle tool and 2 front stands."

Which one is best for my money keeping in mind this will be my second bike, my first true sport bike?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Both are stupid fast, make stupid power and leaps and bounds beyond your capabilities. The 2011 will feel faster due to the regearing...

But the 2013 is a 636, and it is the e-nannie loaded model, ABS and traction control. I'd get the 2013 without thinking it twice.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The stunt clutch and gearing changes on the 2011 would make me cautious. If you can afford the 2013 it's a better bike (unless you're planning on doing track days, then the extra farkles on the 2011 might be worth the risk of having to replace the clutch down the road) even then the traction control on the 2013 alone would make me chose it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stunt clutch and gearing changes on the 2011 would make me cautious. If you can afford the 2013 it's a better bike (unless you're planning on doing track days, then the extra farkles on the 2011 might be worth the risk of having to replace the clutch down the road) even then the traction control on the 2013 alone would make me chose it
Yes, the positives with the '13 is the ABS and traction control. It is also $1500 more although a "brand new" '13 w/ABS is currently running at $10K OTD while the non ABS versions can be had at around $9.3K based on my negotiations with select dealerships that still have those bike in stock.

I like alot of the mods on the '11 and I don't have many bike related supplies right now. I have my gear and that's it. Out of all the stuff the '11 has, I like the Power Commander V, rear cowl, M4 exhaust, HID headlights, frame sliders (which I feel is a necessity), and the front/rear stands. The other stuff, I don't know enough about.

Still if it were you guys and you were spending your hard earned cash, you'd go with the '13? I would still need to spend almost another $1K to get the frame sliders, Power Commander V, rear cowl, and the front/rear stands alone.

·
Registered
337 Posts
lol you don't want a bike that was beat on...but you're looking at a used stunt bike. I'd tell you to get the '13 and be happy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol you don't want a bike that was beat on...but you're looking at a used stunt bike. I'd tell you to get the '13 and be happy.
Well, that's the thing, I know he has an RSC stunt clutch and most of the time, that means they stunt/wheelie the thing. My neighbor has a '10 600RR and he has the exact same RSC stunt clutch and he says it's because it makes clutchwork around town so much easier and he's in his 40s, no stunting at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds like you want the 2011
If it has been stunted, which it very well may have, then it's out the door. Preferences, I'd prefer the '13 due to traction control and ABS BUT the $1.5K additional tag deters me a bit and is the only reason I am considering the '11. Both prices, though, are exceptional. The thing I like best about the '11 is that it comes with quite a few mods that I like and plan to do with any bike I get like if I do get the '13, I plan on putting frame sliders on (drops), rear seat cowl, front/rear stands, and likely the PC.

Honestly, I am open to all opinions and am not really leaning any which way. Again, the '13 is so attractive, basically brand new with alot of key safety features while the '11 is quite a bit cheaper with some goodies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't get the '11, get the '13, or do whatever you want because that's what you're going to do in the end anyhow regardless of what we say.
That is usually the case but I am not leaning toward any bike yet at this moment. Both have their positives and negatives. One thing I failed to mention is that the '11 is 2.5 hours away while the '13 is 7 hours away...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You live in Wisconsin, you should be used to "That thing I want is X hours away"
Haha, yea and the always below freezing weather. The only downfall of either bikes is the fact that I would have to find someway to bring them back to town as I cannot ride and will not ride in this weather. Living in a cooler really sucks

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well, that's the thing, I know he has an RSC stunt clutch and most of the time, that means they stunt/wheelie the thing. My neighbor has a '10 600RR and he has the exact same RSC stunt clutch and he says it's because it makes clutchwork around town so much easier and he's in his 40s, no stunting at all.
You said:
28 year old owner, going through a divorce, living with mom again with 2 small kids.

"RSC Stunt Clutch and Aftermarket Shortie Brake Handle, Annorita Quickshifter, X-Tre, Power Commander V, M4 exhaust with both silencers, -1/+2 gearing, Speedohealer, Woodcraft frame sliders, Tank Grips,"
This guy sounds like a pillar of responsibility. I'm sure that quick shifter was installed to ad in his enjoyment of a casual sunday rides through the countryside while obeying all the traffic laws and being a genuinely good rider.

:eek:nfloor

Just saying, if a walk/swims/quacks like a duck...

I feel bad for the guy. Getting a divorce isn't fun at all. Been there, done that. Have the court papers to prove it. But don't pickup someone elses problems because its cheap.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
But don't pick up someone elses problems because its cheap.
That's why I'm single.
:laugh

Reactions: dveldt

·
Registered
743 Posts
13s also have softer suspension than the 11s. Theyre all around more road oriented while the 09 to 12s are race bikes. Im a pretty big guy and my 2012 will still beat me senseless on the crappy roads around here. If youre going to street primarily the 13 is the better bike. If youre going to track the 11 has the better suspension for it and since its cheaper youd have more money to prep it.

That said, neither are good beginner bikes or good street bikes at all. Theyre uncomfortable race machines with touchy brakes and extreme geometry. The only reason tk street one is because you get off on riding a race bike in the street. There are other bikes that are exponentially more comfortable, more powerful at street speeds (600s dont scoot till 50mph), and better mannered

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
It is not " a clutch ", it is just a freaking "clutch lever" that has more leverage, so it makes it easier to pull the clutch. If the guy had been a stunter the bike would have obvious signs of stunting, like a modded tank, seat, crash cage, etc. The gearing is the biggest clue it was not a stunt bike.

Either way, the '13 is the better bike.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It is not " a clutch ", it is just a freaking "clutch lever" that has more leverage, so it makes it easier to pull the clutch. If the guy had been a stunter the bike would have obvious signs of stunting, like a modded tank, seat, crash cage, etc. The gearing is the biggest clue it was not a stunt bike.
This. Stunters usually go more aggressive with gearing than -1/+2.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, the bike is not stunted, it is actually just a lever that makes it easier to pull and release, nothing more. Well, I pulled the tr***** on the '13 last night but the guy changed his mind and would not meet in a more central location and I am not sure the '11 is for me so I guess the search continues unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts