Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, 4 days into owning my bike (Ninja 500), I'm making a right hand turn with a green light when a lady coming from the opposite direction blows a red light and makes a left right across my intended path. I turned as sharp as I could, but slick concrete and my sharp turning angle made sure I arrived on time for my date with the asphalt! Had my gear on, with the exception of leather pants, so I got a small scrape on my knee.

On to the important part though! My bike has a broken turn signal, a scrape down the exhaust pipe, and a couple cracks in the front fairing. Also, it looks like the brake handle may have been bent down slightly. Anyone have any idea what I'm looking at just to get my bike back to road ready? Meaning, the turn signal and brake lever being fixed? Thanks!

·
Registered
912 Posts
did that bitch stop?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. I looked her right in the face as she was turning and she was staring right up at the light. Never saw me. Focused too much on breaking the law and running the damn light I guess. I figure after I fell I was below her sight line in the mirror, so she went on her merry way.

·
Registered
912 Posts
i would have chased her and broken out her windows i hate drivers that don't see motorcycles

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, a guy was nice enough to stop and lift the bike off me since it was laying across my right leg and my ass was still in the street. He said he figured he should get me out of the street as opposed to chasing her down! Many thanks brother!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Get some aftermarket turn signals for $20 or less. That will be a cheap fix for that problem. Try to bend the brake lever back up if you can. Glad to hear you are ok.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If it's a slight bend you can manage to ride with it, although it may be weakened and can snap off I would say look on Ebay for a spare and buy it if the price is right. But you can always buy cheap aftermarket blinkers like Big15 suggested, or you can just look for stock blinkers on Ebay also.

·
Professional Loser
319 Posts
After you get you brake lever and signals working Ebay is a great place to find deals on fairings too.

That just pisses me off that the lady got away with nothing after causing a wreck. Who's idea was it to let women drive anyways? jk

·
Registered
121 Posts
You said you were making a right hand turn on a green light. The lady made a turn into your path from the opposite direction. You sure she didn't have a green also and was making a left across the intersection on her green light? If that's the case she simply didn't see you (and was not looking for you of course). I ride like I am invisible.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Well a lot of intersections now seem to have delayed lights or even only have a green light for one section of the traffic. So maybe she anticipated a green light by watching the intersecting traffics light and she saw it turn red and figured her light would turn green and she wanted to beat the traffic before they went straight and she missed her window of opportunity.

That is always a possibility

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, this is an intersection right down the street from my house. Only one side goes at a time- except the main cross street I was turning onto. Her side was definitely red. I saw her coming, and knew she was running the light. But she had no signal on, so I thought she was going straight. My bad for giving her any credit. I'll be more aware next time, and just expect the worse!

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
imagine dropping a full fairing bike, like the YZF you were thinking about.

never assume that people are gonna stop , cuz they're light is red. always watch and see if they stop/slow down, look, and then pull out. this accident could have been avoided. you have to ride offensively , in that i mean, you have to control the things that happen to you.

don't think i'm trying to "bag" on you, learn from these incidents, most if not all can be avoided.

good luck

·
Registered
605 Posts
RJS1997 said:
...I'll be more aware next time, and just expect the worse!
Its too bad that we have to ride like this^^^^if we want to keep on riding :twofinger

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Gotta watch out for the cagers. Not that I ever forget it but everytime that I am put into a situation like that with a cager not taking into consideration the fact that I don't have 3000+ pounds of steel protecting me it just makes me remember how much more I have to pay attention because of the fact that they dont.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This kinda sounds familiar. I dumped my 929 coming out of my driveway was going to turn right but last minute decided to turn left. Cranked the handlebars hard and just cracked the throttle and the rear tire broke loose and threw me high side and I landed hard thank God for the helmet thats what hit first. After I picked myself off the road I jumped up to pick up my bike and the caravan that was about 300 ft down the road from me drove right past me. No stop didnt even roll down the window to see if I was ok. I WAS PISSED OFF!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts